Nunorod's Plog - Painting Malifaux

nunorod

Thats unfortunate, given she's a resser master :P

Ha, my bad! 

To be fair I was going to put Japanese, but then I wasn't sure if they are strictly Japanese so instead I thought I'd cover all racial bases and say 10T.

Regardless of that faux pas, beautiful crew, captured the theme perfectly!

BM  :unsure:

Here it goes. The finished Onryo. I'm not completely happy with these guys. I like the colors because they were inspired in real japanese illustrations but don't look so ghostly. I don't think I nailed the the mask also.. but nonetheless i think they are ok.

onryo_model_zpszudu7geb.jpg

And here is the whole crew. I think i have to take a better pic eventually. Apart from some details i'll probably work someday like Kirai's scissors, I think for now it's ok.

I wanted to start on Izamu ;)

Hope you like it

crew_final_zpsfpoxgnw7.jpg

• Like 5

Love the whole crew together!  When you see all the bases next to each other it really ties together the effect you were going with for the snow.

I think the Onryo look great  - I love how you highlighted their hair and the blending on the clothes are great.  If you wanted it to get a bit more ghostly I think you'd have to kill the contrast on the model a bit, or maybe have the browns on the kimono fade to white similar to the blue fade out on the outer coat, but I think they're pretty stunning just the way they are.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

He's a beauty so far....the technique is on point.....but I think you have too many colors. It's making him look pretty busy and you haven't even gotten everything on there yet. And to me red and purple is a huge no-no...they clash so badly together it hurts me to look at it. I might have gone yellow instead of red....hard to judge without knowing the rest of the palette.

And I don't think the green needs toning down...I think it should be greener...I don't think the olive drab complements the other nice deep colors you have going on there.

Just my .02.

I'd agree with Dgraz.  The technique and brushwork is amazing.... but I feel like the number and variety of colors are detracting from the quality of your work because my eye doesn't know where to focus.

I think the back view, where you can't see any purple, looks a good bit cleaner than the front view.  So maybe another option would be to repaint the purple sleeves to match the approach you took with the pants.

• Like 1

Yep that really crossed my mind. I was also thinking on painting the "flags" on the back the same style to unify the thing a bit more. I realised the photo is not that great. Looked at the mini at home and it doesn't look so "bad". but i think there is something really bothering me.

I think i'm going to tone down the red and green. ink a bit of the green plates to make them stand out a bit more and am considering giving the purple the blue fabric style.

What do you think?

Yep that really crossed my mind. I was also thinking on painting the "flags" on the back the same style to unify the thing a bit more. I realised the photo is not that great. Looked at the mini at home and it doesn't look so "bad". but i think there is something really bothering me.

I think i'm going to tone down the red and green. ink a bit of the green plates to make them stand out a bit more and am considering giving the purple the blue fabric style.

What do you think?

I think that is a good idea removing the purple from the Mini (as great as it looks, honestly beautiful execution) when I look at the photograph it just stands out as having too many focal points with the different colours. Amazing job on the technique however 

• Like 1

First of all, I want to say that I am noob, but...

I, personally, would remove green and red. Because red is colour complementary to green, they have very high contrast and draw attention.

I would paint the armor very dark (black or very dark blue), metal grey with added blue (or silver) and at the places, where I would want to conduct focus, I would use colour complementary to blue - yellow (or gold).

For example helmet - very dark blue, bright blue glow of the spirit and gold details.

When I paint, I try to choose two colours that work together and then one that has high contrast to them. For example blue and toquoise (instead of green) and yellow for contrast. Bright green, yellow and red.

Hi Phinn

Usually the contrast makes the miniature POP out. The problem here (we think) is the purple that is taking to much attencion and its a 5th color that maybe interfering.

I

used this for reference: Art-Japanese-Samurai-Green-Black-Armor-w

As you can see the green and red work fine. The other colors are the ones taking too much attention. The blue is risky but if you investigate Samurais and their robes and armour, they were really even more rich color wise with lots of patters.

Maybe i even have to darken the blue. To let the green and red pop out.

I want green because it will make a better connection with my other crew elements which are Ressers and also use green and blueish.

I guess i have to keep working on it and see it through and maybe it will work out in the end. :)

• Like 1

I would start with axing the purple....see how it looks after that.

And yeah, I use lots of complementary colors. It does create that 'pop' effect. I think the red and green is fine.....adding one more non-neutral color (the blue) can push it but can be fine if it's the right color and done right.....going for more can be really tricky.

Well... you definitely DO know what you are doing. The only reason why I, humble noob, offered my advice is that everybody was talking about removing the purple and I just really like how it looks. That purple, those blue pants and spirit glow... it looks very harmonic.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work :)

• Like 1