Nunorod's Plog - Painting Malifaux

nunorod

Hey guys. I have been sharing my workings in painting my Kirai Crew in the Wyrd Facebook Group, but i thought this would also be a nice place to collect feedback, advice, etc.

I can then tell you all about my fluff behind my decisions.

Hope you like them.

Last but not the least, the Seishin.  Was really surprised on how much i loved to work on these. I thought " ok so on to paint the small stuff..:" How wrong was I, they were really cool to paint and i love them! I'm still thinking on how to give them a more green tint spirit look.

Bases still to finish.

seishin_wip_zpsjctdudde.jpg

Only the Onryo missing. They are in progress :)

• Like 6

Incredible work. The skin from Ikiryo is amazing.

My only three complains, if that can help you:

• As you says, the scissors from Kirai need some work. Is that true metallic? Maybe with a NMM will look better. If you are not into that, a TMM with lots of shades and some effects could looks nice.
  • Ikiryo dress is wonderfully painted but the colour it's too similar to the skin one, so it's making her looks a little plain. Also, I think that there is too much dirt on her. 
  • The bases, but I suppose that they are unfinished.

Anyways, everything looks really nice. Your seishins are the best ones that I have seen!

• Like 1

Very nice work across the board.  Love the job you did on Kirai's clothes and those are by far the best seishin I have seen!  Love the personality you capture in each model.
I might agree that Ikiryo has a little too much dirt on her, especially for a spirit, but you nailed the face and hair, and blending.
Keep up the great work, look forward to seeing more!
  • Like 1

Don't take this negative please. Just my opinion, some like it, some don't.

Kirai- This model looks fan bloody tastic. However, when i looked at the pic, my eyes went, Face, base, middle sash(excellent flowers btw), then the rest. I'm not sure on your bases, are they snow/winter effect? or just not finished. To me its hard to tell. IF your going with the winter/snow thing and it looks so blinding white, people will wonder why thier clothes look like they were running through something dirty.  If your going to paiant the bases something else then forget what I said. The snow thing would work but the edge of their legs would just be a darker color than the rest to show wet clothing compared to the rest.

The model herself is just gorgeous. She would be in my top five Kirai model sans base.

Ikiro- "Going for the spooky spirit effect". I see  a monster in a dress with dirt in odd places. The monster part of her looks great, but i don't see spooky anywhere else.

Lost Love- This is a great paint up. From the fluff, I believe, he was the Gov's son shot in the chest so she could get away since the bad guys where there to kill her not him.  The yellow stripe makes me think he was part of some military or of some kind of importance. I think his eyes need to be green instead of white. the white kinda washes into his white hair. The green would be a nice balance to all the reds.

Seishin-They look great. IF they were mine and I wanted some tie in to Kirai, I would either shade the hair with the same color as her dress, or just make all their hair the color of her dress.

Just my two cents

• Like 1

Thank you all for the great comments!

@Moetle Of course I won't take it negative! I'm still learning. Unfortunately I don't paint as much as I wanted so there are some obvious details still to learn.

The only base close to finish is Kirai's, the others are still incomplete. And i also have to paint the border black. Regarding that base and the dirt. What i was looking for was this: As snow melts or is stepped on it makes the ground muddy (http://bit.ly/1BgX6wu). So as Kirai is stepping the snow it dirties her clothes. She takes great care with her scissors but she is kind of a vagrant so she won't have many changes of clothes... So they get muddy. Maybe the legs should be more dirty I guess.

IKiryo is the spirit version of Kirai, so i guess I would keep the same tones in the clothes but more ghostly (whitish green) but since she is a representation of Kirai, i thought maybe I would maintain the looks (dirty). I admit..it's too muddy and i am thinking of glazing it with whitish green again to tone down the mud.

I am using the same kind of tones and tints in all the models. The greenish ones, whitish green, etc. The Seishin have that tint on the fur and that's why i painted the LL's hair white with those greenish tints also. His eyes also have green... maybe the photos are to blame also...

They won't be perfect, but it's a learning process. :)

Here are the tones i'm painting my Onryo. They are very very much in WIP mode pre Matte cote, etc. I got inspiration from Japanese illustrations of Onryo and going for green old tone and whitish tones again. Only the inner sleves are going to be dull orange-ish.

onryo_wip1_zpst4mdjlfy.jpg

Wow - that's a tough effect you're going with for the bases.... Maybe add a muddy foot print behind her?  Or at least make sure there's a decent puddle of mud/melting snow by her foot to sell that's what's going on.  I think you could make it work, but like you said yourself - the bases still need the most work.  LOL ironically if your painting skills weren't so good, you could probably get by with bases having less detail ;)

Love the colors on the Onryo and the kimono inparticular looks like it's off to an amazing start.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...