Translation in French?

Hi Wyrd,

I heard rumours about a possible official translation of the game in French.

Is it still planned? How is the project going on ?

Malifaux is the only miniature game I have a chance to convince my girlfriend to play but she doesn't speak English. My love life compatibility with my hobby is your hands Wyrd :D

Make sure you keep the books in imperial measurements. That'll really mess with the Europeans :D

Warhammer is done in cm in France etc... It's just wrong! 

Huh? It's done in imperial here, even in the translations.

Great news, Nathan! Not that I'd ever switch to German, but it will do a lot for the player base.

Nathan, you just made my day !

Thx a lot !

Warhammer is done in cm in France etc... It's just wrong!

It's been a long time I haven't played but I think it is in inches (I use the GW meter for Malifaux and Warmahordes because it provides double measures in imperial and metric).

I'm not the best person to ask because I played with the English books during the latest editions.

When I played in French in 4th edition, the movements were given in "steps" which were 1 step = 2.5 (so roughly an inch). So whenever we played with our metric meters, we had to convert all the measurements (very annoying).

I don't know how it has evolved since them (I also played 6th ed in French but it was a long time ago).

I know I bought a GW meter a few years ago and that it had both metric and imperial measures.

Luckily you can just go to your local hardware store and buy one there. Works in Finland at least.

Really hard to get measuring tapes with inches in Germany. Come to think of it, I'd probably buy one with a Guild symbol on it...

I know I bought a GW meter a few years ago and that it had both metric and imperial measures.

Epic, Battlefleet gothic, and I think Warmaster were all in metric so if the tape wasn't super new it would make sense for it to be in both metric and imperial.

If you are buying a metal tape measure in Sweden you have to search a bit to find one in both metric and imperial, most are just metric. The old-fashioned wooden folding builders meters are always both though.

Huh? That's the first time I hear of that.

Is the French player base that big? I didn't have that impression, to be honest. Might be cause to the sample size, of course.

The french player base is not that big, there is a few players, some of them trying to make the game more popular ( http://www.malifaux-soulstone-union.com) but when running démo games, 2 times on 3 games  you hear "This is a great game, I'll give it a try, ... as soon as there will be a french translation."

Most european players play in their own language, or in english.

Most of the french players play in french, or play something else (you can call us lazy, i'll agree with that).

Malifaux is  great, with  lots of qualities, and the game deserve to be among the most played game here  (well, personnal opinion maybe, but...) and this translation is the only way for that.

(Sorry for my english ;) )

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I can't wait for the translation; perhaps I'll finally have someone other than my husband as an opponent.

Does anyone know which rulebook is being translated? Is it the small one or the larger one with the fluff? 

Hopefully more Europeans will get into the game and then perhaps we could have a European championship tournament! (Sigh) That would be amazing.

Great news !

The French player base is very receptive to the great aesthetics of Wyrd's minis so once there are some French cards and rules, I have no doubt that the game will get a wider customer base.

I also hope that the stater set is translated. I have recently bought it and I found out this was what I was missing for demos all along (that and French cards :lol:).

Malifaux can be a bit overwhelming for a beginner without a ste by step rule presentation.