Why is Lady J even a thing?

Hello fellow Resser´s,

i just came back to Malifaux because i finally found someone to play against and well he has Lady J(and only Lady J at the moment he wants sonia but she is not ava t the moment)....

I played Yan Lo against him 2 times and got butchered... iam simply unabled to get 2 rounds of shooting in against her and when i got her down she heals back up and i cant kill her or the Judge... The Judge runs around with the Upgrade that makes Death Marshalls immune to Horror Duels and yeah Lady J kills stuff....

we ran the following:

His List:

Guild Crew - 35 - Dustup

Lady Justice -- 5 Pool
 +Justice Unleashed [1]
 +Last Stand [1]

Scales of Justice [3]
Death Marshal [6]
Death Marshal [6]
Death Marshal [6]
The Judge [9]
 +Flames of the Pit [2]

My List:

Resurrectionists Crew - 35 - Dustup

Yan Lo -- 7 Pool
 +Fortify The Spirit [1]
 +Reliquary [1]

Soul Porter [3]
Ashigaru [5]
Ashigaru [5]
Chiaki the Niece [6]
Izamu the Armor [10]

What can i do against Lady J how to stop her? Should i even try to kill her or Judge?

We had Turf War and i went for Bodyguard on Izamu and the Scheme where you have to kill the most expensive modell of the enemy. I made some positioning errors with Yan Lo which Killed him in turn 3 but man Pine Box is madeness against Izamu.... I just got Turf War VP until Turn Three and he got a line in the sand and turf war in turn three and i had only Chiaki an Ashigaru the Porter and a buried Izamu left any one any tipps on how o defeat Lady J?

Thanks

Not a Guild Bulldog

I came in here to look who wanted to slander Lady Justice today. I have to sit down for a moment now.

Okay, I never played against her. I'd probably just bait her with chaff and then either feed her models to keep her occupied or charge her with a big hitter.

• Like 4

The Yan Lo box is definitely harder to come to grips with then lady J. A few things you can consider.

1) The general flow of the box tends to be heavy on D. Typically you end up geting your guys killed and try to come up with as much chi as you can while that's happening. Somewhere around turn 3 or 4, Yan Lo goes super Sayen and starts making up for lost time.

2) You very likely cannot outpunch Justice. She's Justice. What you 'can' do is brick up behind Izamu with afew Brace Yaris and force her to walk into combat and swing twice, giving Izamu a shot at survival.

3) Lightning dance. This spell is amazing once you figure it out. It gift wraps Death marshals at Izamu's feet for butchering. If they try to pack him up in a box and make off with him, beat them to death with Yan Lo.

4) Get chiakis upgrade out and equip it. You need that spammable slow spell.

I came in here to look who wanted to slander Lady Justice today. I have to sit down for a moment now.

Yeah.. Me too. Then I realized we were talking about Yan Lo:

tumblr_lhm9okBzvn1qdcgp6o1_500.gif

Seriously though, you need some big hitters or models to tie Justice up. I think Yin ought to do okay against Justice, at least she will have to focus or burn through stones to even hit her. Also here, a Nurse is your friend, get them. Put Izamu on Hallucinogens and Lightning Jump Justice or Judge to Izamu while he's slapping at 5 damage and see the hurt in Justice's eyes. Or just plain Paralyze / mess with Judge and Justice (WP7) is a toughie but doable. 

• Like 3

I'm not particularly familiar with Yan Lo, but at a glance I can see that you've got all your damage-dealing capability concentrated in Izamu. That makes your list extremely vulnerable to Death Marshals - all they have to do is bury Izamu and you've got nothing that can even scratch the Judge, let alone Lady J herself.

It looks like you're playing with starter boxes, so be aware that some Masters - particularly the resilient, hard-hitting, self-sufficient beaters like Lady J - can feel much more powerful than others in small games. Once you move up to the 50-stone standard, the more support-oriented Masters (like Yan Lo) scale up in power with their expanded crew, while Lady J stays exactly the same.

If you're looking to expand, I'd really recommend Toshiro the Daimyo and some Punk Zombies - they will seriously increase the punch of your crew, and give you another Ancestor to work with.

In the mean time, in your smaller games, focus on getting the objectives and trying to prevent your opponent from doing the same. It's going to be very difficult for you to kill Lady J, so it's probably best to try to hold her off instead - throwing models in her path to stop her rampaging through your crew, and killing off the Death Marshals instead. Once you've got some more models to choose from, you'll be able to build a crew that can kill her if you really want to, but you should still think about how you're going to complete the objectives first and foremost.

• Like 3

I was hoping this might be someone asking a fluff question and my answered is why do rotten bells exist, because it is Wyrd.

Izamu is a nice hitter but pine boxing him is really one of the best way to take care of him.

I played against her once and never tried to shoot her, I just killed her and the judge in melee. What you have to do is focus on one of them and kill them dead, luckily they do not have much in the way of protection. Also hit her with conditions after she activates.

In my experience the Judge goes down pretty easily unless he's wearing a Lead Lined Coat...

But anyway, I think the major issue is that you're playing essentially starter boxes and Lady J's is one of the best starters out there. Death Marshall's are always useful, the Judge is good, and the Lady herself is great in a straight punch-up. 

Support masters really suffer at anything less than 50SS so that is part of the issue, and Yan Lo is one of the harder masters to use because he has so much that he can do (don't listen to the haters). Get Toshiro, Yin, and some Komainu (they aren't out in plastic yet but people like Bushido for proxies) and start playing at 50SS would be my recommendation.

And, for what it's worth, Lady Justice isn't so bad - all she does is kill you. Collodi wrecks your models, steals their AP, buffs, summons, and does. Not. DIE. Leveticus teleports around the board turning things to dust, summoning, resurrecting himself. Rasputina churns out blasts from all angles, puts up Ice Pillars, spams Paralyze like it's going out of style. Yan Lo jumps around the board, paralyzing half your crew in a turn, lays the smack down on clumps of models, gives some of the best models in the game a second lease on life, and becomes incredibly hard to kill unless your opponent brought a lot of anti-willpower tech.

the main problem is that i dont go for schemes and stuff...

Here's your problem ;)

Just remember that the winner is whoever scores more VP, not whoever has the most models left at the end of the game!  It's perfectly possible to win a game after getting tabled.

• Like 1

My personal experience is that every time I go with the intent of caving her head in, I loose a lot of models and time doing it unless I manage to get something absolutely crippling going (paralyze before she activates AND she has no witchling stalkers left to activate), so I tend to keep her as far away from me as possible and send chaf into her. The generic Spare Parts upgrade can be your hero in this scenario, lets you summon guild autopsies from corpses and they come at full life which is the important bit since they can sometimes even survive a hit from Lady forcing a second attack. Had an awesome game using Tara that I won purely by feeding autopsies at Lady J and keeping them in the middle of her trajectory (had Mortimer to supply corpses since she was neutralizing them on kill), though my opponent was being overly cautious when he should have just barreled her into me and cleaved my head off.