Actions causing actions

gideonrav

Question

The Obey is causing another action, therefore the Obey is not resolved until the model that was targeted resolves the chosen (1) Action. Since it is nested inside the original enemy action, it is an enemy action that is trying to move it, thus it fails.

This is my thinking too.

Maybe its my familiarity with other systems that's kicking in here, but I don't think Laugh off would work against obey. Here is my reasoning:

Does obey move a model? Answer:No

So what happens when obey is cast assuming it's successful? (Here is a fluffy answer): Zoraida whispers into Sidir's mind 'come closer.' Sidir thinks to himself 'hey, that's a wonderful idea.' Sidir then takes a walk action.

Obey didn't move Sidir, obey caused him to take a one action. Sidir took that action, which was a walk.

Actions causing actions should be broken down as follows

1. Initial Action (in this specific case Obey)
   a. Target takes a (1) Action
   b. resolve targets (1) Action

After the (1) Action that the target model took is resolved then the Obey is completely resolved. So in this case Obey would not work on Laugh Off beacause, as I have illustrated, it is caused by an enemy action which is not resolved until the targets chosen (1) Action is resolved completely, triggers and all. 

Simple enough. Obey doesn't move or push. It causes a model to take a (1) action. If that action is walk, it is not an enemy action, it is a friendly action, completed by a friendly model.

Consider Frame for Murder

The scheming player notes one of her own non-Peon models as the "sucker." If the chosen "sucker" model is Killed or Sacrificed by an enemy model, score 1 VP. If the enemy model was a Master or Henchman, score 2 VP instead. As soon as this Scheme is accomplished, reveal it. If it was accomplished before Turn 4, score 1 additional VP. This Scheme may not be revealed at the start of the game.

If I obey your model to kill my sucker, an enemy model has killed my sucker and I get the points. This is because it is the enemy models (1) action killed my guy.

Obey is written differently than, say, Lure. Lure pushes a model its walk (I think). It directly moves the model. Lure is stopped by Laugh Off because of this.

But the model is not being moved by an enemy action or ability. The Model is being moved by a friendly action,  (1) walk.

So yes you can "obey" a 'laugh off' model; and move them. It is about the only way to move them because the movement is not the result of an enemy action or ability, its the result of a Friendly action (Which was caused by an enemy action)

Hadn't read obey closely for a while so had to edit. So the question we need to ask - would the model with laugh off have moved at this time if an enemy action or ability had not targeted it? If the answer is no I would assume that an enemy action made it move and thus laugh off cancels it. I can however see how you would argue the opposite and I am far from sure of the intent in this case. Had laugh off been worded with just "enemy action" it would have been clear cut.

The difference with Frame is that it doesn't mention "enemy-controlled model", just "enemy model". However, the few model's that make the enemy count as friendly could muck up this scheme if they themselves were the sucker I guess. Comes down to timing in that case.

• Like 1

Maybe its my familiarity with other systems that's kicking in here, but I don't think Laugh off would work against obey. Here is my reasoning:

Does obey move a model? Answer:No

So what happens when obey is cast assuming it's successful? (Here is a fluffy answer): Zoraida whispers into Sidir's mind 'come closer.' Sidir thinks to himself 'hey, that's a wonderful idea.' Sidir then takes a walk action.

Obey didn't move Sidir, obey caused him to take a one action. Sidir took that action, which was a walk.

The problem with the fluff is that anyone can argue that Sidir just laughs it off and say "Sidir hears ya! Sidir don't care!" The other argument is very compelling though.

• Like 1

Simple enough. Obey doesn't move or push. It causes a model to take a (1) action. If that action is walk, it is not an enemy action, it is a friendly action, completed by a friendly model.

Its not a friendly action as no friendly model decides where I go. The opponent does. Wouldn`t call that a friendly action.

• Like 1

I've read your reasonn, I just still disagree with it. Yes, Actions causing actions means the Obey has not ended until the action caused by the obey is complete.

That does not mean any of the abilities or conditions that would effect the obey would effect the action that the Obey has causes.

Obey allows the model to make an action. whilst this action is controlled by the player that cast the obey, the action is made by the model itself. The model is friendly to itself. Therefore the model is moving as aa result of an action that is made by a model that is friednly to it. The Action is the Walk action. The model friednl;y to it is itself.

I am also of the opinion that Sidir would hear the voice and say 'don't think so cowbag'.  It's still an enemy action (Obey) that is causing them to take a (1) Wk action.

I totally disagree. Sidir would never call someone 'cowbag' :<

• Like 1

I agree with rgarbanzo. Too many people are trying to use cinematic reasons to justify why an obey can move sidir because sidir is the one doing the walk. Sidir has no personality or agency in the game, at base, other than the mechanics. He isn't a person, mechanically he is a game piece. The enemy player uses obey, and THE ENEMY PLAYER controls the movement of Sidir.

Is it an enemy action affecting sidir?

Yes

Is the enemy action causing sidir to take a walk action?

Yes

Is the enemy player controlling the walk action?

Yes

Therefore it is an enemy action causing movement which laugh off specifically prevents.

Trying to argue that it's Sidir taking the action is total nonsense, because Sidir's player isn't controlling the action.

• Like 2

There is a difference between target model moves its Walk, and target model takes a walk action.

If I obeyed a model to take a once per turn action can the model take that action when it activates?

No, Because that model has already performed that action once this turn.

So its not total nonsense that it is Sidir Taking the action, Its what the spell says.

(Want to avoid cinematic examples are they are of no use what so ever, but its amusing that people think you can potentially obey a Sidir to kill his best friend, who he happily throws himself in the way of bullets for normally, but you can't make him walk forward 3 steps. )

Nothing is causing it in that sense other than narrative. The move there is entirely volentary because sidir's player controls the move.

Rgarbanzo spelled out the sequence exceptionally well, and I have pointed out that the fact of who is controlling the theoretical move more than cements the way the rules interact.

If you want to interpret it differently for your group, more power to you. You should play the game in the way it is the most fun for you. However I, and I feel most TOs, though maybe not all, would interpret the rule as not allowing obey to cause Sidir to walk.

As every argument against that interpretation is flimsy, and requires either cinematic, personificational, or other non-mechanical arguments for why it does work, I believe I'm out.

• Like 1

I believe "cannot be moved by enemy models actions/abilities" means that he only moves when he wants to, it can be direct(Lure) or indirect(Obey) but I`d say Laugh off works in both situations. Also the interpretation for this is: 

If you wouldn`t cast Obey Sidir wouldn`t be move, right? So he is being moved by an enemy model`s Action

If the rules would have to include all possibilities like "Cannot be moved by enemy actions or friendly actions caused by enemy actions" the cards would probably have to be more than 2x bigger.

I believe the general approach to this is: Sidir (or any other model with Laugh Off) moves when he wants.

Also, please give me a definition of a "friendly action"?

Performed or controlled? If I Obey your model and shoot your other model its a friendly action by your standards.

If controlled then we go to the point of: who decides where Sidir goes? The caster of the Obey. So am I being moved by a action controlled by a friendly model? Nope, the caster controls where and how far I go, so its a move controlled by an enemy model.

• Like 1