Yan Lo, Brewmaster, Kirai, and some weird Komainu

I've started playing Malifaux a couple of months ago, after being gone from the tabletop wargaming hobby for a few years. First thing I got was old man Yan Lo + some of his dusty friends. Since then I've also picked up Kirai, and once I've gotten around painting all of these guys, I'll probably move on to the Brewmaster (although, from what I've heard, he actually doesn't exist!).

post-15941-0-19732500-1431709470.jpg

post-15941-0-03522300-1431709468.jpg

Some retainers (I've got a proxy for a Komainu as well that I have yet to paint properly, although I plan on building two new ones in the near future)

post-15941-0-44316700-1431709465.jpg

And Kirai! I wish I would've put some greenstuff on her shoulder. That gap irks me to no end.

post-15941-0-43778700-1431709461.jpgpost-15941-0-37499300-1431709463.jpg

I'm also a sucker for themed crews, and while I wanted to play a Flesh Construct with Kirai, I wanted one that would fit her aesthetic a bit better (although the official Frankenstein's-monster-looking construct is rad). So I made a zombie sumo wrestler! 

Head + hands are from Warhammger ghouls, while the rest is pretty much just a blob of greenstuff. 

post-15941-0-77391200-1431709459.jpg

The others are about half done in terms of painting. I'll post some updates every once in a while, but don't expect any rapid advancement in here :q

Happy to get feedback!

• Like 8

Been putting a bit more paint on Izamu (which is one my favorite models, and basically the only reason I've been winning games with poor old Yan Lo)

post-15941-0-01439700-1433145423.jpg

And also built a maned fish-dog-creature which kind of counts as a Komainu for the time being?

post-15941-0-78580000-1433145424.jpg

Other than that, Kirai's been put on the back burner for now, since there are still a bunch of plastics missing for her – and I really want to paint the Brewmaster guys! Having a few ideas on conversions for his crew as well. No idea how they'll turn out!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all! 

I've started working on Yin and the Brewmaster crew. I went for something different for my Brewie-themed Komainu (I'm calling it a Beerkeg-Baku)! Here's a photo of my current painting progress:

post-15941-0-82360900-1434464304.jpg

post-15941-0-29735400-1434464938.jpg

Yeah, that's right—it's a barrel with legs! Still trying to find my way around with the green stuff, but it's pretty fun.

Gonna post a bunch more when the crew is finished (plus I might need to get a smaller barrel for Yin)

• Like 2

I love it! Brewmaster and Yan Lo are a couple of my favorite masters in the game, and you have certainly done them justice. I believe yours is the first brewmaster I have seen painted up (I don't have mine yet, still using Yan Lo as a proxy. :/)

I like the yellow/orange. it reminds me of a good brew, which is nice and fitting considering. lol. I also like how you did the gross stuff on some of Yan Lo's dusty ancestors. I went full on gore and love it, but the spirit effect is really cool! Especially if Kirai is in the mix anyway.

my only suggestion? (which hardly counts as you pointed this out yourself) get Yin a smaller barrel. I like the idea you've got going on, and I run Yin in my brewmaster crews a lot so it is even thematic, but it's a shame to hide so much of her with a barrel.

all around, these are looking great! can't wait to see the rest of them!

• Like 1

I like the yellow/orange. it reminds me of a good brew, which is nice and fitting considering. lol. I also like how you did the gross stuff on some of Yan Lo's dusty ancestors. I went full on gore and love it, but the spirit effect is really cool! Especially if Kirai is in the mix anyway.

my only suggestion? (which hardly counts as you pointed this out yourself) get Yin a smaller barrel. I like the idea you've got going on, and I run Yin in my brewmaster crews a lot so it is even thematic, but it's a shame to hide so much of her with a barrel.

all around, these are looking great! can't wait to see the rest of them!

Oh yeah, you can really make those ancestors into some bloody beasts. Since I had a Warhammer Khorne army back in the day, I've already done my duties to the blood god, I guess!

I'm definitely gonna get smaller barrels for Yin. Bought a bunch of medium and large resin barrels, but they kinda turned out to be bigger than I thought. I don't even know what to do with the large ones, since they hardly fit on a 30mm base. Although, come to think of it...

Nice paint all around.

You can still fix Kirai's shoulder with some Vallejo plastic putty. I know someone is thinking liquid greenstuff does the same thing, but its green and sucks with lighter colors. The Vallejo stuff is white, which takes colors better, and generally cheaper.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...