Alright You Silly Guildies - Tell me... Why Justice When You Can Just McMourning Instead?

SpectreEliteGaming

Ah, I love a good bible quote:

Ezekiel 23:19

Yet she increased her prostitution, remembering the days of her youth when she engaged in prostitution in the land of Egypt. She lusted after their genitals – as large as those of donkeys, and their seminal emission was as strong as that of stallions.

• Like 1

this thread is rather fun to read, but I will also contribute.  If you have seen the A-team movie, you'll know that at the end a carefully crafted plan gets torn apart by a missile to its face.

If you like carefully crafting plans to gain your win, choose a McMourning who needs to get all his parts moving and cogs whirring.

If however you want or need to take a missile to rip an opposing crew's carful plan to shreds, take Lady Justice.  She does this better than anyone else in the game.

Note: this does not make Lady Justice uncompetitive at all - she is the answer to almost every problem (the answer being "they can't do stuff if they're dead") and has no real counter.  She is quite capable of winning events and I certainly rate her as a very, very potent master regardless of strategy and scheme pool.

• Like 2

I've been trying to shut up, but I just can't any more.

There isn't a better beater in the game than Justice. If you're reading her sword as doing 3/4/6 you're doing it wrong. Built in critical strike boosts that up to 4/5/7. A SoulStone for another Ram pushes that up to 5/6/8. Flip or cheat a Ram for 6/7/9. If she hasn't charged or is holding dynamite she's up a positive flip on damage.

In a word? Ouch. And that damage isn't reliant on hitting another spell like McMourning's Poison damage is.

Her totem is rubbish, but the Brutal Effigy is what it should have been. With the condition on her, Justice is healing back 1 damage every time she damages an enemy model and drawing cards for every kill. That damage output and that condition make her the best card draw mechanic the Guild have. If you want cards, kill stuff. Best of all the Effigy has Accomplice so it can run up, drop the condition on her and then she activates next.

And before anyone moans about mobility, let me help you with that. Francisco Ortega walks, and pulls her 5" up the board with Hermanos des Armas. Judge then goes, double walks, and pulls her up again with Stand for Judgment.

At this point she's 10" up the table, Df7 with a damage-dealing defensive trigger and Wp9, without having activated. She doesn't need to see the target and shouldn't be leaving home without the Unimpeded upgrade. That's a 14" threat range with that ridiculous damage track, and she can hit things that were 24" away at the start of the game, rendering cover and hiding utterly irrelevant.

Protection wise when I run her she has Badge of Office for those flukey Red Joker moments, a 0 heal and Brutal Effigy helping those heals too. It takes a concerted effort from the entire enemy crew to take her down and if they manage it, then that leaves Judge, Francisco and your crew free to wreak havoc on what's left.

McMourning is good. I get it and I don't disagree. But for me Justice is actually above Guild McMourning in the power stakes because she hits even harder and can take more punishment back. She doesn't have his tricks but she doesn't need them, and you pick a crew to compensate.

And yes, I have already put my money where my mouth is. My first ever tournament with Guild, I took Justice all day in fixed faction and won the event, beating the UK no. 3 and Dreamer in the last round. She took 3rd at another event a few weeks later, denied a higher podium thanks to a brain fade on my part. I've run her in other events that I've won and podiumed in. In short, she's a big part of the reason why I'm currently UK no. 8 and holder of the Best Guild icon for the UK.

I'm really not one of those guys that says "look at what I've won and where I'm ranked, you should listen to me". This is a game and all rankings systems have their flaws. But for Justice, I'll make an exception. She is a very strong Master and I can't for the life of me understand the hate for her.

• Like 4

yep, really.  Last Smogcon I ran her in 5/6 games winning all of them and finishing second - the other game I took McCabe and got a 10-10 draw which kept me off the top spot.

Loved what Justice did and how well she did it.  Like Panzer says though, this isn't about our event experiences with her.

Having faced Panzer's Judge/Fransisco movement trick combo listed above, I've gotta say it works like a charm and can really help her put all of her AP to work killing things.

Justice is the quintessential monkey wrench master, and that will win you a lot of games.

A lot of it comes from the fact that Justice is totally crew-independent.  She needs little upgrades and can manage on few stones too - meaning you can really go to town with her crew.  A favourite of mine is:

Justice

Judge

2 wardens

2 hunters

2 death marshalls

• Like 1

Hm.. Damn I have always loved Justice but thought she had no place in serious games. Apparently it turns out I just have no idea how to play her..

After my Lucius run I am seriously contemplating a Justice run. Damn you both!

• Like 2

Disagree with you very strongly about her totem, frankly I never understood the dislike for the scales. It's a 3 SS activation that can reliably get you 2 extra cards every turn. Ressers pay 8 SS essentially to get the same thing, or close to it, and consider it a steal when needed. If any Resser master I had had access to the scales I'd auto include in in just about every list I play. Is there some fundamental difference in how Guild uses cards that you can't reliably get 2 extra cards a turn, or rate the ability to reliably do so too expensive for 3 stones?