Abilities

Couple of questions I would like answered if possible, of which I guess they both centre around abilities.

I understand that abilities just happen and are always active as per thre rules, it makes sense.

However, I'm not totally clear as to how abilities that cost and have a target work, they sound a lot more like actions to me.

For example Razorspine Rattler's Chomp!

It costs a tome to get off, I assume like an action you get to flip a card and are able to cheat?

Does the target get to dodge?

Does the acting puppet get an exhausted token?

It just seems so powerful if there is no possible dodge, no exhausted token placed and assuming it's not an action, you can do multiple times per animation.

Same with the Cherub, but also while I'm at it, does the CSNTU target suffer from gaining exhausted tokens, and does it suffer a rip if it already has one when it goes off?

Thanks for looking, replying and reading.

(sorry if I'm mis-reading or have missed anything obvious)

Those are good questions and I don't think the rulebook is clear enough. At least, I can't work it out either!

I think they ought to be played as if they were non-combat actions. So in addition to its normal attack action, the rattler can try and make a Chomp! action by targeting a model in range 2, with AR of a tome, rattler becomes exhausted, target can't dodge, only a single card is flipped from the deck but you can add as many cards as you like from your hand (presumably a single tome if one didn't come up in the flip), and outcome if successful is to give target the paralysed effect. Doesn't seem too powerful if played this way. Similarly for the cherub.

In the case of CSNTU, as the rules for placing exhausted tokens are that they're placed when a friendly model you're activating declares an action (rather than when it is compelled by CSNTU to make an action) I would probably play it that the target of CSNTU does not gain exhausted or suffer a rip if forced to make an action.

Those are my thoughts but agree that something more definitive would be useful. What do you think?

Hi, thanks for replying dude :)

I agree, I think they should both just be actions, with no dodge maybe, limited to once per Animation (you don't get to attack as well as take an action by the way ;) ).

It's how I played them in games as anything else just seemed wrong, and I guess as I'll be playing this game in a Vacuum (with my wife, or maybe with a couple of mates) it doesn't really matter so much as we can just house rule it.  But it would be nice to know the intention :)

CSNTU, I think it seems worthless if you use it to control your own puppet and it gets an exhausted token or rip, why would you waste an animation and an action to do it?

So I think you're right,  I'll play it as it doesn't apply an Exhausted token to the model it takes control of :)

Just noticed that on Puppet Wars website (http://www.puppet-wars.com/puppet.php) they're both shown as Actions rather than Abilities. Also you can see the playtest cards for the yet-to-be-released expansion (come on Wyrd take my money!!). Maybe if/when an expansion is released they'll put some errata-ed cards in for these two?

You're right I didn't explain what I meant very well at all; I should have said "instead of its normal attack" rather than "in addition to its normal attack". :)

That's awesome, thanks dude, thought it was the case but nice to actually see it officially :)

Yeh the playtest stuff looks awesome, it'll be great if it does come out, but until then I'll be buyng the old metal puppets and using those cards soon, just need to find a way to print the cards so they look good :)

That's awesome, thanks dude, thought it was the case but nice to actually see it officially :)

Yeh the playtest stuff looks awesome, it'll be great if it does come out, but until then I'll be buyng the old metal puppets and using those cards soon, just need to find a way to print the cards so they look good :)

If you find a way to make usable cards, let me know. Currently a pain playing with massive printed out sheets!

I Will :)

Also, for future reference for anybody wanting the answers to the above rules questions; (I've found out the answers, in addition to what's above)

Razorspines chomp! is a normal action, so doesn't have to hit a DF and isn't dodgeable.

The Cherub's CSNTU is also an action that doesn't have to hit a DF and isn't dodgeable.

The target doesn't get a rip if it has an exhausted token already as you only rip if you have an exhausted token when you animate the puppet.

Can't see a definitive answer as to if the target gets an Exhausted token, but we play it as they don't as that makes the cost rather high.