Neverborn/Quarantine Zone Terrain

Otylia

I was wondering if anyone had any good resources, pics, or suggestions for quarantine zone or neverborn-themed terrain?

I see a lot of people do great things with neverborn basing, but haven't seen much terrain that's particularly stylized for them.  

I always end up picturing Alice in wonderland when I think Neverborn...  Familiar, but tweaked, dreamlike and surreal.  Giant mushrooms, gingerbread cottages, evil looking trees, things at odd angles, things out of proportion, etc.  Tim Burton movies seem to come to mind a lot: Beeltejuice, Nightmare Before Christmas, Corpse Bride.  Things you can get on a T-shirt at Hot Topic...  I guess that means I see Neverborn as the goth kids of Malifaux. <_<

Being as this is Malifaux, you could take it in any direction.  You could easily take any malifaux'ish location, add in a few elements based on your favored master(s) theme(s) and you'll be set.  For example: evil looking trees and brambles would totally fit a Lilith flavored bit of terrain.

-DavicusPrime

• Like 1

I think it would depend on the type of never borne. Zoraida fits well in swamps, Collodi seems more of a city street or in or piece, same with the dreamer. For Lilith I'd go with fantastical Forrest. Not sure about the others though. If you have a way of making mist, or at least the appearance of mist, I think it would tie them all together. (I have no idea how to make things misty)

• 1 month later...

for dreamer and collodi, my first idea would be to take the basic idea of the city, and start to warp it to fit the theme of the masters

dreamer:  start to make the ordinary seem fantastic and warped, change the proportions of things like doors, lamps, windows, buildings, they can vary from super basic changes that seem strange to super warped by varying colors and adding outlandish elements like eyes and limbs and stuff sticking out of walls.  The idea of the dreamers dreams affecting reality has a lot of potential, as you can have  a piece themed to whatever type of dream you want, and vary the intensity.

collodi:  a similar idea, start with the basic as a base, but start transforming some buildings and terrain pieces into set pieces like a puppet stage.  you could have flat building facades and trees/barrels supported by timber structure on the back, string strung between buildings or wound about lampposts, as well as rolls of it to use as scatter terrain.

Well I know for a Dreamer Table some people have taken wooden blocks and some other items and made a sort of Toy Land feel.  Like he has twisted the environment to fit his imagination.

For a Quarantine zone I would likely look to a stone victorian type design, but I would make the roads curve and have back alley ways.  I would also have some buildings damaged *possible with intact ones right next to it random like*.  I would then incorporate stuff to make it seem further out of place, a random mini garden perhaps in the center of a circle in the road, a large series of machinery in the place where a house might have been, a random building of a different design *like with greek pillars or of a middle eastern style*, stuff like that.  When it came to painting the cobblestone I would likely paint it a dark gray, entirely, then go in to the cracks between the stones with a wash.  Likely a purple mixed with a black or a dark wash so it would have a slight purple to it but primarily be dark.  I then would go over the stones with a slightly lighter gray before washing them with something like the strong tone Army painter wash.  after that you can add moss or other stuff to suit the mood.  I would likely do that with a lot of buildings too, mixing purple or green wash in with a dark wash on the stones to give them a bit of tint in the shadows.  Try to give it the sinister undertone.

I would also have trash, broken crates, maybe some crows or ravens, to further to the mood.

• Like 2

Great suggestions Eternalvoid. I would add that cobblestones tend to be a mix of colours which you can get with washes, or you could add in patches of different colour or different shaped stones to make it look like there have been repairs made at adifferent times. Adding bits of brickwork into buildings made from a different material would also fit in to the abandoned and recolonised fluff of Malifaux.

dreamer:  start to make the ordinary seem fantastic and warped, change the proportions of things like doors, lamps, windows, buildings, they can vary from super basic changes that seem strange to super warped by varying colors and adding outlandish elements like eyes and limbs and stuff sticking out of walls.  The idea of the dreamers dreams affecting reality has a lot of potential, as you can have  a piece themed to whatever type of dream you want, and vary the intensity.

That's a very Cabinet of Doctor Caligari sort of feel. That works on quite a few levels.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the thread necro, but this thread came to mind when I saw this. There's a game called Twisted which has a similar setting idea to Malifaux (weird steampunk victorian) and they have a local Australian company doing MDF scenery for the game. And it would fit right in as a Malifaux Quarantine zone, as it's normal but warped and weird.

Spoiler

8540a47dd4bee7ddfd4305389a4905f9_origina

Here's one of the buildings in the flesh, as it were.

Spoiler

12688026_1072969349401927_81781818721496

The scale should be right - the models are 32mm, and some are already used as Malifaux proxies.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, -Loki- said:

Sorry for the thread necro, but this thread came to mind when I saw this. There's a game called Twisted which has a similar setting idea to Malifaux (weird steampunk victorian) and they have a local Australian company doing MDF scenery for the game. And it would fit right in as a Malifaux Quarantine zone, as it's normal but warped and weird.

Reveal hidden contents

8540a47dd4bee7ddfd4305389a4905f9_origina

Here's one of the buildings in the flesh, as it were.

Reveal hidden contents

12688026_1072969349401927_81781818721496

The scale should be right - the models are 32mm, and some are already used as Malifaux proxies.

Wow, thank you for sharing that man.

Those are disgustingly awesome looking.  One of my normal gripes with MDF scenery is how... stiff it looks, or very made-to-fit together?  It just doesn't normally feel very organic to me, but those things look quite awesome, at least the last image you have where it's put together, very very cool.  And I like the style of the street lamps.

That is a really great find, thank you.

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 6:33 AM, Tawg said:

Wow, thank you for sharing that man.

Those are disgustingly awesome looking.  One of my normal gripes with MDF scenery is how... stiff it looks, or very made-to-fit together?  It just doesn't normally feel very organic to me, but those things look quite awesome, at least the last image you have where it's put together, very very cool.  And I like the style of the street lamps.

That is a really great find, thank you.

It seems that those building will only be available though the Kickstarter and not for public sale, ad least that what it seems like when reading though the description.

1 hour ago, WalkingInBlack said:

It seems that those building will only be available though the Kickstarter and not for public sale, ad least that what it seems like when reading though the description.

No, they will be sold by CNC workshop as normal releases, they're just letting Demented games package them with some pledge levels.