I've been toying with @jonahmauls idea of an elite Nicodem crew for reckoning.

Nicodem -- 3ss
 +Necrotic King - 2ss
Graveyard Spirit - 3ss
Izamu The Armor - 10ss
Rogue Necromancy - 10ss
The Valedictorian - 10ss

This leaves 15ss for extra models and upgrades. Maniacal Laugh (+Undertaker) or Spare Parts on Nicodem would be good, the first for activation control and the second for summoning more beaters. Maybe some Unnerving or Decaying aura on the beaters, possibly Corpse Bloat on Izamu for a few corpse markers, although Mortimer could be added to the crew with either Corpse Bloat or My Favorite Shovel.

Nurses, Belles and Doxies could be good for support/movement shenanigans. Or you could just add another beater to the crew like Killjoy, Ama No Zako or a second Rogue Necromancy.

I wouldn't bother with Mortimer in an elite Reckoning crew.  Nor would I take Maniacal Laugh as MZ's are easy fodder.  Corpse Bloat on one of your beaters is a good idea to drop some early corpse markers as you'll need them for full heals.  I'd definitely consider KJ in the list because he hits like a brick.

• 1 month later...

They're great with McMourning but I've never once run them with Nico! I think there's probably better use of his resources than summoning them although they will give some ranged support which we generally lack (personally I go for the option of making a beatstick Fast and march them into the enemies face!).

13 hours ago, Kaptain_Konrad said:

Hello, so I'm able to get a few more models and I'm thinking of expanding Nico a little more. What's the opinion on guild autopsies?

They are better than Canine Remains if you need cheap fodders from the start imho. But I prefer going for a bunch of big models and some support/scheme runners at the start, if things won't go really badly during the first two turns you'll swarm your opponent anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, read the thread and have a question, instead of bringing Izamu and an upgrade, has anyone tried bringing the Valedictorian with Decaying Aura and Unnerving Aura (graveyard spirit to up her armor to 3)

An overall cost of 13, (exluding the G.Y.S) she seems like she would be a pain to take down with Nicodem passing out fast  and heals; While she locks down the enemies triggers, healing and damaging anyone who cannot escape her 3inch bubble.

(Locking down the opposing players triggers on their beat stick or support with a 0 AP cost action and only needing a 3 to land it, resisted with WP, and a range of 8... with no random target when cast into engagements.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this layout with her? 

6 hours ago, TwistedCupid said:

Hey everyone, read the thread and have a question, instead of bringing Izamu and an upgrade, has anyone tried bringing the Valedictorian with Decaying Aura and Unnerving Aura (graveyard spirit to up her armor to 3)

An overall cost of 13, (exluding the G.Y.S) she seems like she would be a pain to take down with Nicodem passing out fast  and heals; While she locks down the enemies triggers, healing and damaging anyone who cannot escape her 3inch bubble.

(Locking down the opposing players triggers on their beat stick or support with a 0 AP cost action and only needing a 3 to land it, resisted with WP, and a range of 8... with no random target when cast into engagements.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this layout with her? 

I tend to take the Valedictorian almost all the time, I love her versatility and the ability to shut down triggers. While Decaying Aura is awesome, I think Val's damage is relatively low to be worth its cost and she has no way to ignore Armor which can drastically reduce it's effectiveness. Unnerving Aura is lovely on her. Yesterday I've tried Take Back the Night on her, and I think it's going to be a must-have for me as basically all the beaters you hire at the start are Spirits or Horrors, and the same is true about the things you summon (other than scheme runners and Belles). Oh and you can easily take both her and Izamu at the start, I often take 3 elite models with 10+ SS cost (one is usually Mortimer) and the rest are support or scheme runners (usually I pick two from Nurse/Necropunk/Belle/Chiaki)

I usually don't have the SS for the Graveyard Spirit, but he does seem more useful than the Vulture. 

22 minutes ago, huntroll said:

Yesterday I've tried Take Back the Night on her, and I think it's going to be a must-have for me as basically all the beaters you hire at the start are Spirits or Horrors, and the same is true about the things you summon (other than scheme runners and Belles).

I've started trying to squeeze Take Back The Night into practically every Resser list I field, it's such a great upgrade. Yin is my usual carrier, but Val or Philip work well too.

• 2 months later...
On 28-7-2016 at 9:37 AM, Kadeton said:

I've started trying to squeeze Take Back The Night into practically every Resser list I field, it's such a great upgrade. Yin is my usual carrier, but Val or Philip work well too.

I've been trying to make a few crews with Yin and Take Back the Night on her, but find it hard to drop the models I always take and love. How would your typical list look like? I am tempted to try Mortimer with My Little Helper and Corpse Bloat as well to get the corpses ramped up faster.

I usually take Nico with upgrades, a totem, Mortimer with Corpse Bloat, a beater (more often than nog Izamu), a belle, a doxy and a necropunk (can become another belle or a nurse if there's nothing to do with scheme markers). Got all my 50ss set this way, and am unsure what I could drop for that Yin you're mentioning. But I so see the value of TBtN!

1 hour ago, ttsgosadow said:

Got all my 50ss set this way, and am unsure what I could drop for that Yin you're mentioning. But I so see the value of TBtN!

For me, it's usually Mortimer that gets the cut. When I'm running Nicodem he's usually more about buffing (with summoning to replenish losses) so the more Undead I have the better. :)

• Like 1

On 16/7/2016 at 10:27 PM, Kaptain_Konrad said:

Hello, so I'm able to get a few more models and I'm thinking of expanding Nico a little more. What's the opinion on guild autopsies?

You gotta definitely try them. I Love them along with graveyard spirit and a rotten. If adversary hand goes low in cards there is a good chance of getting them reactivated. They poison enemies with every hit (I always play sebastian with them) meaning a lot of damage for the cost, I always play them over canine remains (I prefer sebastian summoning them).

• 3 weeks later...

To get off Found a Bone, Maniacal Laugh and 2 decent summonings in turn 1 requires a 7 and 3 nines.  This can be surprisingly hard to achieve. For this reason the only upgrade I ever take for Nic is Love Thy Master, and that only when there's some serious killing to be done.  Then you only need the 3 nines and you can ensure that Nic begins with 7 stones, which is crucial.  If you get off 4 summonings in the first 2 turns it's difficult to lose!  I nearly always summon a couple of Necropunks in turn 1. They're almost bound to be useful and they return to full wounds when they activate. I once used a 13 to do this!

• 2 weeks later...

My experiences thus far with Nicodem. I have come back to him after making a Yan Lo and then Ramos detour and I am convinced that he can act in a way that is similar to Ramos in some games and more traditionally in others. Is Mortimer a road block to trying new things? Its seems everyone looks at you strange if you mention not taking Mortimer and perhaps putting Corpse Bloat on someone else maybe even Nicodem himself.

I get told not to try to reinvent the wheel and i get that, the whole Morty ripping out a spleen then finding a bone is an efficient way to get the summon machine online but how to play Nico where his summoning is a support thing rather than the central thing he does. Maybe I am just playing it wrong but I get carried away with summoning and forget the strats and schemes

• Like 1

I've played Nico without Mortimer once -- for the Trickster scenario in the last round of Divergent paths -- but I would definitely say that they work much better together than apart. I generally look to do the summoning machine first with them (though I rarely bring Corpse Bloat, because I'm weird like that), but always look for opportunities to do other things with them. Be it Mortimer flinging rot or fresh meat around to slap poison on things or move the herd up to get in charge range of something, or Nico Fast-ing all his buddies or Slow-ing other things, I try not to get stuck on All Summoning, All The Time, if only because with my luck I don't consistently have the cards in-hand to support that.

Though to bring it back around to your original question -- about playing them together or not -- in my experience even when not in summoning mode, Mortimer supports Nicodem so well that it just makes sense to bring him and his favorite shovel along for the ride.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, qoob said:

Hey everyone! I've searched the forums but haven't found anything regarding this...Has anyone considered playing Mortimer and Datsue Ba with MLH? It's just for early activation control in case Nico's summoning engine needs a little time to start. 

For clarity, that's "Mortimer" *and* "Datsue Ba with MLH"?   I can't think of an overly compelling reason to put MLH on Mortimer since he doesn't really have a 0 action to use twice.   

8 hours ago, Clement said:

For clarity, that's "Mortimer" *and* "Datsue Ba with MLH"?   I can't think of an overly compelling reason to put MLH on Mortimer since he doesn't really have a 0 action to use twice.   

Sorry I forgot to mention that you have to add Corpse Bloat and Spirit Whispers to your henchies. Mortimer makes 2 corpse markers with his (0), Datues Ba summons 2 seishin with her/his (0). With Nicos Muhahaha you have 4 more models to use.  

41 minutes ago, Wolfpact said:

Since I've not seen her mentioned!

What are thoughts on Anna Lovelace with Nicodem? She seems like she might have synergy, but I admit I'm not the best judge of such things by any possible means.

In my opinion she is a decent model. There is no real synergy between her and Nico but she has her triggers which are good for McM and Tara as well. I'm using her with Asami and her Rush of Magic is that what a summoner needs. 

17 minutes ago, qoob said:

In my opinion she is a decent model. There is no real synergy between her and Nico but she has her triggers which are good for McM and Tara as well. I'm using her with Asami and her Rush of Magic is that what a summoner needs. 

She can make Mindless Zombies, I thought? That and I hear she's good at protecting bubbles and to my understanding Nico loves his death bubble?

3 minutes ago, Wolfpact said:

She can make Mindless Zombies, I thought? That and I hear she's good at protecting bubbles and to my understanding Nico loves his death bubble?

Yep, that's what I meant with trigger. Unfortunately she needs a :tome in the first place and has to hit moderate or severe. It's not an auto MZ