Imbued Protection?

madaxeman

To be honest I just straight up don't use it. 2ss for 1x Imbued Protection or 2ss for 2x Imbued Energies? Not really a hard choice in my opinion. If I've got 2ss to spend even then I'll reach for other upgrades like Arcane Reservoir etc. 

However if I were to use it I'd probably put it on Low Df models to give them a little more staying power. 

However if I were to use it I'd probably put it on Low Df models to give them a little more staying power. 

I've seen it on Mei Feng, and it makes her really resilient. Not sure I've ever seen it on something else.

Not like she needs much more protection, a wall of fists and kicks is usually all she needs. I've seen it on an Ice Golem once or twice as well as Cojo or the Cerberus a few times but generally Arcanists have such an awesome selection of upgrades available to them I rarely see Imbued Protection come up. Saying that my local meta doesn't have many Arcanists in it anymore. 

Not like she needs much more protection, a wall of fists and kicks is usually all she needs. I've seen it on an Ice Golem once or twice as well as Cojo or the Cerberus a few times but generally Arcanists have such an awesome selection of upgrades available to them I rarely see Imbued Protection come up. Saying that my local meta doesn't have many Arcanists in it anymore. 

Yeah, mine has one and he plays Ramos and Mech Rider almost exclusively. Shame.

Reminds me of a game in which Nicodem summoned lots of gremlins. :P

Imagine a game against Hamelin where any model on a 30mm base that's currently not being used is a Rat whilst also having Rat Catchers and an Obedient Wretch being proxied... damn confusing that was! I don't mind proxies but when it get's to that state you have to stop and say "Come on man, you're taking the piss a little bit here!". Especially when it gets so out of hand they player using the proxies can't remember what's what! 

Anyways, back on topic. What are your thoughts on Imbued Protection Madaxeman?

• Like 1

It's a standard part of my Marcus' "Missile Offense System" which is basically the Cerbeus and Blessed. Basic idea: 1) Take two melee monsters with Leap and a recurring attack trigger, 2) Bide your time until you have a high card/mid mask for the leap and 1-2 rams or tomes for the extra attacks. I've never had an issue with this not happening before the third turn, 3) If tomes, attack with Cerberus. If rams, attack with Blessed. Alpha and repeat as necessary. 4) Devour target opposing model of choice, giving special bias to the one that thought it was safe... such as that sneaky sniper in the corner there.

Imbued Energies gives the cerb a Df 6 and the Blessed a whopping 7, which is often good for deflecting/reducing 1-2 attacks, plus you can sac it for 2 damage prevention (don't forget, that negates several opposing triggers if it prevents all of the damage). I had a Cerberus go head to head with a (somewhat unlucky) Nekima, and only die due to her terminal black blood which was not only a great trade-off, but one of the funnest, most dramatic experiences I've had playing M2E.

Before anyone says the obvious, it's not completely reliable, and costs 21 SS's for the models and upgrade, but it's downright vicious when you can pull it off, and is not out of the way to take those two models. If you hire them, it's a solid tactic to keep in mind.

I like it on Cassandra if I think she is going to take some heat and I need her to survive. While is fairly often. I also take it on Bishop, just to make his Riposte even more annoying. I would consider it on Ironsides and Mei Feng, but don't remember ever taking it with them. Other than that, not so much.

I used it early on.....Cerberus was a good choice, and Myranda becomes Df 8 but those two fell off pretty quick. Df 8 Myranda can survive the entire game which is a waste since you want to shapechange her around turn 3. The Cerberus with good tactics and Imbued Energies doesn't need it. Cojo was also a decent choice and he lasted a bit longer until I realized for 2ss more I could hire a Metal Gamin to give Cojo the Df 6, and be another activation with a significant model that's just a really solid 4ss choice.

I don't even look at it anymore.

I usually run it on models with higher DF, making them tougher to deal with. I also only usually run it on models who don't have better options available to them. I often find it tough to attach this to masters as it's competing with the likes of arcane reservoir and seize the day, but I do like it on masters who tend to put themselves out there. Here is usually where I will run it.

Mei Feng - Often if not always because it works so well with her DF trigger and she loves swimming in a sea of enemies. 

Kaeris - Sometimes if I feel like playing her aggressively and it also combo's well with her DF trigger.

Ironsides - Sometimes, I can run her with metal gamin for the same effect and also she is really stingy with her upgrades, but I do like the reduction effect with H2K and the regen effect from adrenaline as it can sometimes keep her around that extra activation if I manage to loose initiative.

Snowstorm - It's kind of expensive but generally I play SS pretty aggressively and he/she tends to draw quite a bit of attention. It's usually this or imbued energies. 

Blessed of December - I play the BOD extremely aggressive and that extra DF/damage reduction is pretty huge when you have access you "eat your fill". I will usually run this upgrade on her.

I have been using it a lot on Mei Feng. She likes to be in the thick of things and isn't really all that durable without it. At least not in our meta.

All I know is von Schill can't land a single strike on Mei Feng. :D

Would mostly consider it on df 6 models. As others have said Cassandra, Mei Feng, Snowstorm, Blessed. Maybe Ironsides or Ice Golem but metal gamins have no trouble keeping up with the golem. Have taken it once on Miss Step when Murder Prot was in the pool. Have not taken it a lot though.

I use it quite often. Cassandra being my primary target....especially if something like bodyguard or entourage are in play. With her soul stone use, southern charm, and df 7 it makes her very tough to kill. Throw in smoke and mirrors and she drops schemes when people try.

I also like it on a rouge necromancy with Marcus. Gets him up to average df, with terrifying 13 and impossible to wound, with myranda gaming out a plus flip and healing it makes him tough to deal with.

The thing to remember is that it is +1 df and essentially 2 additional wounds. It is not an always take, but with the right schemes and strategies I like it.

It's funny how in testing at 1SS for +1 Df, it was an auto-take, and at 2SS with the one shot quasi-armour, it's only borderline worth it on a few models occasionally.

Yeah, I feel like Imbued Protection and Lead Lined Coat both had this problem of being crazy good for 1 SS, but really debatable for two.  Funny how much difference a single point can make...

Yeah, I feel like Imbued Protection and Lead Lined Coat both had this problem of being crazy good for 1 SS, but really debatable for two.  Funny how much difference a single point can make...

Now, if Lead Lined Coat could go on Masters, though...

If there was one thing I learned on these forums, it would be that your Malifaux experiences aren't very representative.

For some unknown reason, our Mei Feng vs Von Schill games have been filled to the brim with utter incompetence from our models. It's seriously weird. Mei Feng needed three turns of full on assault to kill a Trapper while a Strongarm Suit missed Joss for three turns on the other side of the battlefield. In the game on Tuesday I got Von Schill into one wound. ZFiend wins Initiative, Von Schill jumps into the middle of my crew and Rips off his shirt forcing Horror Duels on seven of my models (the range on that Pulse is utterly bonkers). I flip, and I kid you not, 13, 12, 13, 11, 12, 12, 10. Not good! For the rest of the turn I manage to win a grand total of two duels (one by cheating the only good card I had in my hand)...

It's funny how in testing at 1SS for +1 Df, it was an auto-take, and at 2SS with the one shot quasi-armour, it's only borderline worth it on a few models occasionally.

It's a 100% price increase...