Where to expand from here

Hansel

Hey folks, I'm coming back to Malifaux after about 4 years away (I can't believe it's been that long!), and the new Gremlin sculpts hooked me (previously I played the Guild). I just ordered the Ophelia box and I have no clue what the best way to expand the faction is. Should I buy the Som'er box? Some blisters? I know it is likely the case that I could expand in several directions, so any general or specific advice would be great! Thanks.

I would first get the Slop Haulers. They are wonderfully versatile (good for healing but also for fighting and not all that bad for Scheme running, either).

After that, Somer's box is a good buy since the humble Bayou Gremlins are really good and Lenny is absolutely superb. If you want to really utilize Somer, you would do well to buy another box of Bayou Gremlins to allow for his Summoning.

After that, the world is your oyster. Piglets, Hog Whisperer and a Pigapult open up all sorts of possibilities; Gracie provides a very solid tank that can haul around your other models; Merris is one of the best Scheme runners in the game; Burt gives another solid option for damage dealing; Zoraida and Brewmaster open up new ways to play - all sorts of possibilities and there are no bad choices, really (though I would get a Hog Whisperer before getting many Pigs - other than Gracie, that is).

Welcome to the best Faction! We have the prettiest girls and the strongest drinks. :)

• Like 2

Zoraida has an upgrade which lets her take Swampfiend models into any crew so you can make a Zoraida-led Gremlin crew that includes Silurids, Waldgeists, Gupps and other Neverborn Swampfiends (and similarly you can use it to take Gremlin Swampfiends like Bayou Gators and Wild Boars into Zoraida Neverborn crews).

The only model in the box who is of no great use in a Zoraida Gremlin ("Gremraida") crew is Bad Juju since his Eternal Fiend Upgrade is Neveborn only (and you really want that upgrade for him every time you use him).

And none of the models are useful for Gremlins outside of a Gremraida crew.

Zoraida is dual faction Master - Neverborn/Gremlins.

She can hire Swampfiend models regardless of Faction via her Tarot Reading Upgrade (2 SS) and any Living model with Wp 4 or less via her Enthrall Ability as if they were Mercenaries.

Her Box Set contains:

• Zoraida - Neverborn/Gremlin Master
  • Bad Juju - Neverborn Henchman, Swampfiend
  • Voodoo Doll - Neverborn/Gremlin Zoraida Totem
  • 3 Silurids - Neverborn Minion, Swampfiend, Living and Wp 4

This means that you can play all of her models in Gremlins as well, but you would have to give her Tarot Reading Upgrade or you can hire up to 2 Silurids via Enthrall Ability, but you would have to pay 1 extra SS per model.

Silurids are already quite expensive scheme runners for 7 SS and Gremlins tend to have high Wk Stat and usually have Reckless Ability, so you do not really need them.

Neverborn models that are usually hired by Zoraida in Gremlins Faction are Waldgeists, because they provide something that Gremlins lack - durability. They have Swampfiend Characteristic but have Wp 5, so can be hired only via Tarot Reading. On the other hand they cost only 6 SS.

You can also play Zoraida in Neverborn Faction and hire up to 2 models from Ophelia Box Set via Enthrall, namely:

• Raphael LaCroix
  • Rami LaCroix
  • Pere Ravage

But remember that you would have to pay that extra SS. On the other hand Gremlins provide Neverborn shooting attacks, something that this time Neverborn lack.

I'm probably missing something obvious here, but Tarot Reading is only for Zoraida, so I don't see how McTavish changes the fact that Gremlins can't use Silurids (or Voodoo Doll or Bad Juju) unless led by Zoraida.

Quite right. I read that backwards. Sorry.

After that, Somer's box is a good buy since the humble Bayou Gremlins are really good and Lenny is absolutely superb. If you want to really utilize Somer, you would do well to buy another box of Bayou Gremlins to allow for his Summoning.

After that, the world is your oyster. Piglets, Hog Whisperer and a Pigapult open up all sorts of possibilities; Gracie provides a very solid tank that can haul around your other models; Merris is one of the best Scheme runners in the game; Burt gives another solid option for damage dealing; Zoraida and Brewmaster open up new ways to play - all sorts of possibilities and there are no bad choices, really (though I would get a Hog Whisperer before getting many Pigs - other than Gracie, that is).

Much like Math above

If going Som'er then I strongly recommend in the following order, Slop Hauler, additional Bayou Gremlin Box, Piglet Box, Hog Whisperer, Pigapult, additional Piglet box, then perhaps a Taxidermist. That coupled with the Ophelia box allows Som'er to be run in any of his configurations providing tons of play options. I would argue that there isn't much Som'er doesn't do well. Just be careful not to over support, always hire plenty of staples (Bayou Gremlin's and Piglets).

Dirial, on 04 May 2015 - 04:00 AM, said:

You'll need to hunt down the pewter version then.

If you are in the states, my LGS has one in stock along with her totem. PM me if you want the details.

I think Zoraida in Gremlins is a "you didn't see that coming" choice for tournament play when you announce Gremlins as your faction. She's not commonly played by Neverborn players so you can catch people off guard once in awhile, but probably not twice.

I'm not sure yet what she brings to the faction that Brewmaster can't do better other than waldgeists and the nurse/voodoo tricks.

I'm not sure yet what she brings to the faction that Brewmaster can't do better other than waldgeists and the nurse/voodoo tricks.

Brewmaster's Obey is unsuited - that's a seriously huge difference. Also, Brewmaster is relatively easy to shoot away and doesn't kill stuff - Voodoo Doll kills stuff and Zoraida has nice defensive abilities (though with her own weaknesses as well). And finally, Zoraida has hand manipulation stuff that Brewmaster doesn't.

Both are control Master but they go about it really differently.

Thanks folks. I think I prefer old metal Zoraida as well, and as you've said it looks like there's no single of the new plastic sculpt available (SKU bloat being a thing and all), but luckily I like the old metal sculpt (the same cannot be said of ANY of the Gremlins--I wouldn't have chosen this faction without the new sculpts). One of my FLGS's has a large stock of the old metal, so I'll go and search to see if they have Zoraida.

In the meantime--if I buy all plastic Gremlins, do I need to purchase the Arsenal decks? I'm really confused as to what those are.

In the meantime--if I buy all plastic Gremlins, do I need to purchase the Arsenal decks? I'm really confused as to what those are.

You don't have to. They are mainly for people who converted their old collections to the new edition. However, there are certain upgrades, the faction general upgrades to be precise, that are not included in any boxes. If you want those (and you're playing Gremlins, so you do), you'll either need the Arsenals or you can copy them from your Rulebook and Crossroads.

• Like 1

Cool, so I picked up Som'er's box, then some more Bayou Gremlins, Slop Haulers, a Hog Whisperer, some Piglets and a War Pig.

And then I saw the picture in the book of the Whiskey Golem. So cool looking! But it turns out that awesome picture is only replicated in the Nightmare Edition of the model, so I of course HAD to spend way too much money on that.

Suggestions for where to expand next?

Something missing from the discussion of Zoraida in Gremlins, more relevant now that you have a Warpig, Piglets, and Hog Whisperer, is that Zoraida's Obey, usually only good for a Walk, and attack, or Interact (and still good at that) can make a Warpig, or Piglet (or Rooster Rider when they come out) Charge, due to the Pig (or Rooster) Charge ability. Reactivating (with Hog Whisperer) Pigs are bad enough, taking two (or three, with Stampede) charges per activation, but with Zoraida handing out extra AP, it can get down right absurd...and if we aren't playing Gremlins for the absurdity (and obscene damage potential and board control and healing) I don't know what we're doing here.

• Like 1