Agent of the Table. A modular journey from a terrain newbie.

Agent of the Breach

I have decided to start working in my own Malifaux table; it’s going to be a long and hard way, so I’m going to be updating this thread by stages. Also, I want that this thread can be useful for others that (like me,) never have approached to a project like this, so i’m in full-disclosure mode about the costs and the technics! 

(This thread has adopted the international system of units; be aware, burmans).

1.- Planification.

(I've already have finished this stage, so i'm going a little fast trough it.)

One of the things that I had to have in mind when I started with design of the table was that it had to be easy to transport so I could carry it from my house to clubs and stores. I first considered making something foldable, but I wanted to be able to work vertically, so I went with the modular option; four modules of 45x45 that can become a 90x90 table. It wasn't a big surface but I wanted that everything looks solid, so I thought that having some wood connections (btw, i’m not sure about how you call them; we use the words “pernos” or "espigas") on two sides of every module was going to be a good thing. This was my first concept:

na1xsxo.jpg

With that in mind, I started to think in the structure of the modules; for what I saw, the b€st solution was MDF for the wood and polystyrene for the filling. I needed to make something like this (side view):

kPiebS8.jpg

I went to some stores and check prices for some strips and boards; all the wood would have cost me around 15 € but I was going to also need lots of tools, so before buying it, I went to a local carpenter, show him my sketch and asked him how much would cost me. He told me that he will make me all the wood work for 40 €, so I took the easy way even if was a little more expensive. I also use the trip to get some polystyrene boards for 5 €; I bought much more that I needed because I wanted to be able to make some experiments before start with the real board.

With the modules here, I started to work and filled the gaps with the polystyrene (btw, I cut the boards with a cutter and wasn't the best choice).

4BhHlJg.jpg

oVKfF7G.jpg

The next (and the last) thing I have done was start with the planning; I've drawn every single deployment and strategy/scheme location so I can be aware while i'm creating the terrain. The objetive is make a table that can be played nice from every side so I don't get bored of it too soon  :D

Right now, it looks like this:

hlIvaNa.jpg

2.- Theme.

(...)

• Like 3

first off, your plans look cool and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

I see you have tabs to "lock" the modules in place. If I can suggest, use magnets - easier and much less likely to break if handled roughly:

this is the idea:

02.jpg

09.jpg

LEFT   and RIGHT  - Two poles of the magnets...

16.jpg

just an idea :) (hope you don't mind)

• Like 3