Gremlin Guy's Terrain

Gremlin guy

On the A Wyrd Place Facebook page, someone asked about what to make out of old Popsicle sticks. I'm no terrain guru, but I'm good at copying and altering other peoples terrain ideas to make my own. Feel free to copy any of the terrain I've made, or alter it and make it your own as well.

My first few terrain pieces were made for a different game, but I feel they work well, or even better, in Malifaux.

4dUmVNo.jpg

This was the first piece I made. The stone centerpiece is separate from the hill so you can drop it in, or remove it and place grass inserts in its place.x8vI7xN.png

I made this piece based of a YouTube video I found for gallows (maybe on this forum). I changed the gallows significantly and came up with this.

Xto3JOe.jpg

And this is my own.

ByUr0on.jpg

eV7GXhw.jpg

Please post any comments or critique you have (I know the pic quality is bad). And if you have any questions, just ask.

• Like 1

These all look pretty awesome! The barn is definitely a standout though!

How do you get all fine turf to stay on the terrain? Is it sealed with anything?

Thanks, I'm glad you like them.

The turf was easy. I took the picture immediately after I made it. :-P in all seriousness, I put a watered down layer of glue on the foam and applied the flock. Then I used a spray bottle with more watered down glue to seal it. That didn't work very well so I sprayed dull coat on top of that. It helped some, but there are still spots it falls off. Fortunately that type of flock is relatively cheap, so I can reapply as needed.

This will be the foundation for the house I'm building.

5N4Lw4K.jpg

ngalhzg.jpg

Once I've decided on the layout for the back wall, I'll be able to finish the first floor. I also need to decide where I want the stairs, but there is so little room for this tiny house. (Roughly 7x5.5 inches)

After marking out the bricks and rocks, I've decided that the most important hobby tool is not the razor blades or the paint brush, but the mighty ball point pen!

Also, I need a smaller metal ruler. Mine is a yard stick.

Looks like you and I have the same general method for making wooden buildings with foamcore...  

GremlinTownWIP1_zps7d4c6062.jpg

Here's a trick I figured out to help with getting an obvious woodgrain when you paint.  Press your wood grain into the wood with a ball point pen and when you drybrush/wash it the grain is there to be seen.  Takes more time, but looks cool.   :D

GremlinShack1WIP1_zpsc2c74f67.jpg

I think I'll be stealing your brickwork ideas for making some non-swamp related terrain.  I found some textured PVC stuff you can get from plasti craft but I'd rather not spend any extra cash.  The point is to make good looking stuff on the cheap.   ;)

After marking out the bricks and rocks, I've decided that the most important hobby tool is not the razor blades or the paint brush, but the mighty ball point pen!

AMEN!

-DavicusPrime

• Like 2

Steal away! Its not really my idea though, I saw it somewhere for making bricks in pink foam by using a razor and widening with a pen. For foam core I just skip the razor part.

I've seen your stuff before and love the swamp theme you do. The shack with the sagging roof and smokestack is awesome.

Thanks.  My biggest problem is that I live in a small house so terrain gets stored in an outdoor shed.  My terrain takes a lot more wear and tear from dealing with temp changes and varying humidity than actual play.  But with swamp terrain, the random changes in the angle on the sagging roofs and what-not look totally normal.   ;) 

I saw the miniwargame.com guys doing similar with pink/blue foam.   The paper on the foamcore is easier.   I tried etching a brick pattern into the MDF before.  That I do not recommend.  Looked bad and required way more effort than it's worth.

-DavicusPrime

• Like 1

I got a bit more work done on the house and I started a board. No pictures of the board, but its just pink foam glued onto wood right now.

I've mostly finished the first floor, still a little more painting, doors, some window work, the rear entrance, and stairs. I also forgot to cut a hole in the ceiling for the stairs to come up, so I need to do that too.

The bricks are taking up the majority of tmy time, but I think it will be worth it.

First picture, some guild members investigating at dawn (the photo is dark so dawn it is)

b5BNiTF.jpg

This next picture is really blurry, but it sows the layout with the ceiling/second story floor removed.

VheH4tV.jpg

This one is a little better, but not much. It shows Lucius and some guild members for scale. I made the door large so medium bases could stand in it but I'll likely rule that large bases can enter too.

d94XFPo.jpg

gXL7tjQ.jpg

0Ij3Ft4.jpg

Finally, this last one shows the second floor attached.

UedTsoC.jpg

I apologize again for the poor picture quality, but I hope you can see the idea.

• Like 1

Thanks to both of you for the compliments! I've been pretty busy, although I haven't accomplished much since my last update.

Here is a picture of the board I'm working on.

zR4sJaG.jpg

Jus most of the frame, a few lines marking centerlines, and some paint on there for now. When done it will be a folding board. I was a little off on a few measurements, but since I did them in my head at Home Depot, I'm OK with that. A few cuts and I should fix there big line running through the middle.

Here you can see a group of dirty Ressers has taken over my house! Oh, and I've finished the walls for the second floor.

Jt6XyjP.jpg

Nicodem may be blocking the entrance, but he isn't blocking the fact that my stairs aren't painted.

8WD369Y.jpg

On the second floor are a bunch of leaping necropunks and a Belle coming up the stairs.

UYTzeX4.jpg

Nicodem's vulture has found his way to the unfinished chimney!

lClOzMZ.jpg

Here is a view of the ground floor without the top floor attached. I still havent decided how to paint the stairs. The floors have tabs that hold them together for the occasional table bump.

U7Htues.jpg

And this is a view of the two floors side by side.

wZJYyUV.jpg

I hope you like everything (except the ressers. They are too dirty to like.)

• Like 1