Malifaux tournament reports: Kings of the North (45 and 50SS); 18 and 19Apr2015

Argentbadger

Zfiend, sadly 'should' does not always equal 'did'! And for some reason people tend to hold on the 13s when there is a nurse and a flesh construct nearby.

I have no idea why.

Although I should think that devouring Dita is way more difficult than Seamus.

A double-whammy of Argentbadger tournament goodness! Just amazing stuff - thank you so much once again for doing these. I live vicariously through these wishing that we had as awesome tournament scene here (and that I had time to attend such...).

The tables looked a little sparse (I think I'm obligated to make that comment ;)) so Sonnia and Perdita were certainly having a field day.

It's fun to note how limited a model pool you use. You also seem to approach the games in a pretty similar way. I mean, the common wisdom is that you need to really tailor your force for each situation but you seem to have a pretty big core that you then very slightly but keep it fairly sameish in all games. Not a criticism, mind, just noting how it shows nicely how you don't need access to all that many minis from a given faction in order to do well in tournaments (if you know how to play, that is ;)).

Though I'm really cheering you on while reading these, I still found the Ironsides game the most interesting - really surprising as well. Getting Ironsides into melee with Sonnia on the first turn was certainly something unexpected!

Thank you for your always nice words.

I am limited in terms of my model pool simply because of what I own (and actually, The Judge, Death Marshalls, Guild Hounds, Austringer and Brutal Effigy are borrowed from Joe already).  In general I believe that it's probably better to play with a smaller number of options that you understand really well, rather than having access to the whole faction but not having much experience with any of it.  As you mentioned, the common opinion in Malifaux is that because you can tailor your crew to each game you should take advantage and make lots of changes.  But overall my high-level plan is going to be much the same for each game - kill as much as I can at the start to reduce the options on the other side of the table.  The trick is to know when to spend AP on that, and when to spend it specifically doing things that will earn me VPs (as opposed to probably denying them on the other side).

The game against Vince (playing Ironsides) was really good, he's lovely man to game with.  I always find that, even though I could surely have learned the threat range on Ironsides just by reading her card, I need to have it happen to me before I can understand how to deal with it.  And of course, the first game against any master is bound to be tricky as they all have some cool actions available.

Not to discredit or anything but I would absolutely refuse to play any form of shooting crew on those tables. :o

Thanks ;)

Hopefully I'm not replying out of context here, and I'm also including Dirial, Bengt and Math Mathonwy's comments about the terrain.  I guess that the relative sparseness of terrain is due to the logistical issues of one person or club owning the relevant amount of terrain.  But actually I thought that these boards were OK.  There was plenty of line-of-sight blocking terrain which is probably most important against Sonnia and Perdita since they can both ignore the negative flip for cover by various means.  And the ice board (arguably the sparsest one) is probably the one where I have the worst record of any board in existence, having lost on it to Ironsides here, Dreamer at Vapnartak (here) and Collodi at Not a Bad Thing (here).

Still, I would certainly be interested to know what other people who were actually there thought about the terrain.

Great read, thanks for doing this. I really enjoyed our game and have to say devouring Dita was my personal highlight. Over the course of the tournament I managed to devour Lilith and Nekima (in the same game!!), a lone swordsman, and Dita. I tried really hard to get Seamus too, but his WP is a bit too high. Still, not a bad tally!

Thanks Martin.  It was an absolute pleasure to play against you.  Your Flesh Constructs certainly had quite the tally over the weekend.

I think that the Devouring Perdita episode shows the difference between theory and actual gaming (and again, I'm replying to all the subsquent comments from Dirial and Zfiend here, apologies for taking anyone out of context).  In theory, Perdita should always have been able to save a high card to avoid the Paralysis (or the Devour depending on your preference), but in practice if I had had such a card in our game I must have felt that I had to use it earlier in the turn to achieve some other goal.

• Like 2