How do you play incite?

Turbodog

Question

Imagine two players. Player B has three models that haven't activated yet (a canine remains and a belle and killjoy) when player A's Pandora successfully gets Incite onto one of the models (the canine remains in this example). Which of the following is the way you play it:

Choice 1: Player B announces which model she will activate next (killjoy). Player A interrupts her saying "no, activate the dog now".

Or

Choice 2: Player B announces she is about to activate a model and asks Player A if she wants it to be the dog. Player A decides no, betting that Player B will choose to activate the belle. Then Player B activates Killjoy.

My question is whether or not the Pandora player gets to know which model the opponent -wants- to activate before deciding to initiate the Incite. Not on the wisdom of the strategy involving the models mentioned in the example.

Thanks

I think the "may instead" indicates it should be played as option B.

We certainly play that way here, but I don't much mind as the one playing against/for Pandora in this case which of the two the opponent would like to play since Pandy isn't one of my "super serial" masters the way I play her.

We played it the first time as A but after thinking it over have played it since as B.  The reason is the "opportunity to activate a model" part of the Condition, We have taken it as the opportunity is when they have the chance to nominate a model, otherwise assumed it would instead say something like "When activating a model your opponent may have you activate this model instead if able." or something like that.  Most of the time it does not matter but you do have the rare times where someone is overlooking something important or you have a plan that involve you not tipping your hand to your opponent.

Strictly its B, but in typical game play events A will be most common.

Once i have picked a model to activate, I no longer have the oppitunity to pick

My advice to the incited player is to start every activation saying, would you like me to activate the dog?".

Don't give them extar information you don't have to.

Its probably also bad form to go

"Hmm I think I'll activate the belle. No wait, Incite. Would you like me to actrivate the dog? No? fine I'll activate Killjoy"

My group usually plays it as B, with the clause that we might allow A if the opponent (either accidently or intentionally) 'jumps the gun' and announces their activation before giving the Inciter the chance to choose for them. Basically - you aren't supposed to be able to use it to supersede the opponent's choice. But they are also supposed to give you the opportunity to make a decision before announcing their choice, and if they don't do so, its ok to 'step back' to the point of that decision-making.

• Like 1

Allways played A and i intend to keep do that unless proven otherwise. Played several tournaments without anyone have a issue with it

It's already been proven as B by the wording!  'When you have a chance to activate' happens before you choose a model to activate (which is A).  We've always played it as A but seems pretty clear that it's B (though as has also been discussed I think it's unlikely to make a significant difference).

I agree that the proper way to play it is Option B. There are too many shenanigans possible with Option A, and the actual wording of the condition suggests that you have to choose before your opponent selects a model to activate.

Candy is part of my arsenal in the campaign my group is currently playing, and we play incite like this:

Opponent: OK my turn to activate.  Do you want to use incite?

Me: No.

Opponent: OK, then I'll activate model X.

OR

Opponent: OK my turn to activate.  Do you want to use incite?

Me: Yes.

Opponent: OK, then the incited model must activate now.

I've had opponents forget to ask me if I want to use incite. I totally get someone getting excited it's their activation and just jump into it. The conversations usually go:

Opp: Ok, I'm going to activate X.

Me: Actually, you didn't give me a chance to use incite.

In these scenarios I feel it is within my rights to rewind, as it were, and use incite.

• Like 1

Yes, you can't stop incite by rushing to your selection. You have to allow the opponent a chance to force the incited model to activate.

But you don't need to say who will activate if they don't incite.

Not at all. From a competitive standpoint, I'm all for my opponents doing this as it gives me insight* into their plans.

*Zing!

• Like 1