Wild West Board Brainstorming

spectrehorseman

I've been researching into Model Railroad buildings in search of buildings for a Wild West Board. I have whittled it down to the following so far.  I really like Laser Cut Wood kits because of their realism look after being weathered with stains and chalks.  The main drawback is they are time consuming to put together, but there is enjoyment there just as in painting models.  They are also on the expensive side as well (ranging from 40-75 each) so that price point can be a barrier as well.

HO scale = 1:87

28 mm scale = 1:76

so they are pretty close. 

woo5191.jpg

cam398.jpg

cam379.jpg

cam371.jpg

cam375.jpg

cam378.jpg

bmm122.jpg

amo390.jpg

Scatter Terrain - however, this being HO scale, I'm not 100% it would be large enough for cover.

gcl1299.jpg

HO scale has always seemed a bit small to me (especially with the model bases taken into account) though is much easier to find than the closer S Scale terrain.

I might also recommend looking at the gamer specific companies such as Sarissa Precision instead of model railroad stuff which tend to be much more expensive.

28mm is far away from H0 scale. 28mm is nominally about 1:48, but 25mm (1:54) and 32mm (1:32) usually look okay.

For buildings, 25mm/1:54 is good, but most man-sized models will not fit through doorways (less of an issue with buildings without interior). O-scale or 1:48 is perfect, and scatter terrain all the way up to 1:32 look great gor scatter terrain...

I agree with Omenbringer that Sarissa or 4ground or similar are better from an economy point of view and they look good as well. Railroad buildings are really beautiful though, if you can find them in O-scale for a reasonable enough price...

Thanks for the feedback, it's unfortunate that o-scale doesn't have as many options as HO

I know! Actually there's quite a bit of choice if you've got a deep wallet, but many stores won't carry O-scale because the engines are so expensive as to limit the market so you have to search around a little... I'm eventually going to buy some O-scale models of steam pumps and mining gear to use with ny Malifaux tables, but with a tiny piece costing $30+ there's no way I could afford houses and similar... :-(

Just so you have a good cross reference for scale.

http://theminiaturespage.com/ref/scales.html

O scale will be a touch too large. American S scale is more correct but that limits what is available even more since it is an odd scale to use.

Hope the link helps everyone when figuring this stuff out.

Snitchy sends.

O scale is slightly in the larger side, but especially given everything is on bases will look pretty much spot on. S scale is really only ok if you don't want models to appear able to enter buildings and such... I have some 25mm (1:64) meant for historicals, and they almost look comical next to most Malifaux minis...

Malifaux miniatures are about 32mm, and O scale (37mm) is closer and look way better than 25mm. 1:50 would be perfect, 1:48 is good, and 1:54 (30mm) is good as well...