Fun Myranda Tactic

Guslado

Fun little strategy to use if you have Deliver a Message, Breakthrough, or Power Ritual in your scheme pool:

Bring along a Malifaux Raptor and Myranda with Imbued Energies and Skinwalker.

Start the game with Myranda buried. Turn 1 have your Raptor bury itself with Take to the Sky; at the end of the turn unbury it, right up in the your opposing master's face if you're doing deliver a message, or in their backfield/corner for Breakthrough/Power Ritual.

Next turn either your opponent will kill the raptor or you can have it take to the sky again, allowing you to unbury Myranda right where you want her. In the case of Deliver a Message, it's actually advantageous for them to kill the Raptor because then you can use your immediately following activation to have Myranda give the opposing master a nice hand written note. If they manage to get away from where you dropped Myranda in, discard her Imbued energies to give her that extra AP to run down their master and then deliver the aforementioned note (move 6" and a 2" engagement definitely gives her a nice threat range to pull that off).

Holding off on your Raptor's activation as long as possible helps with this one--most players see something like that all up on their Master and their first thought is to kill it, and if they don't kill it, you can hopefully Take to the sky after their master and much of their crew has activated and get that message off.

If you're feeling particularly silly, bring Killjoy along and have him pop out when they kill the bird (or when Myranda shapechanges) to smack around their master.

• Like 1

Why are they killing the raptor?

People see an enemy model right up on their master and they usually feel the need to kill it.

Also, a raptor has a trigger to that gives its target the beast characteristic, which lets you do all sorts of fun stuff to them if you're playing Marcus.

It's ok but seems too easy to avoid. Plus Marcus is hardly hurting for any of those schemes. My feeling is that if my strategy is based on my opponent acting a certain way it is a poor one. I mean you are spending 13ss to make his happen, and there is no guarantee theyl'll kill the raptor (smart play says they won't).

It's ok but seems too easy to avoid. Plus Marcus is hardly hurting for any of those schemes. My feeling is that if my strategy is based on my opponent acting a certain way it is a poor one. I mean you are spending 13ss to make his happen, and there is no guarantee theyl'll kill the raptor (smart play says they won't).

I'm not saying they have to kill the raptor, just that if they do it works out in your favor. If they don't, it still works out just fine.

Losing Myranda to get 3 VP from Deliver Message isn't a horrible deal. If some of your opponents models are hanging back to kill her you also get some board control.

Not to mention that you could Shapechange her immediately into something a little more comfortable with being right in the opponent's crew.

To much of "a perfect Storm" for me to expect it to work.

Its a fun trick, but its too reliant on your opponent. You're unlikely to out activate them if you have one of your models buried. If they don't kill the bird they get to react to Myranda showing up. And there is actually plenty out there that can kill the Bird in 1 hit, and then smack around Myranda for a second (and Third in several cases).

What do you do if it doesn't work as planned? And thats where I find this tactic falls down, as I don't think it has a Plan B, and its Plan A largely works on people that don't know it.

Its certainly one of the best uses I've seen for the Shapechange upgrade, but I'm just not convinced by that upgrade yet at all.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the idea is Frame for Murder + Deliver a Message.  Myranda teleports in, Messages, then dies horribly.  +6 VP.

I'm not totally convinced by this (multiple iterative attacks could kill her before she can Deliver, and Frame for Murder would obstruct Myranda's shifting potential), but I think that's what HUNT.ER meant.

Put in a 2nd Raptor and have additonal the "Frame for a Murder" scheme with Myr as "the sucker" and you`ll may earn 6 VP pretty fast.

If My opponet puts Myranda in my face, scores Deliver a message and doesn't shapeshift, I smell a rat.

I'm happy to leave her in play most of the time, shes not goign to do enough to hurt me that badly.

I'd ratehr be in a position to react to a freshly summoned cerberus, than risk the frame for murder.