McCabe competetive - How ?

Meliondor

Hi!

I hear people in this forum praising McCabe. I see that he has speed and his dismount ability can come in handy.

And he can spead his upgrades and retake them if the owning model dies (so nothing is lost here).

But how is this working on the field ? People count him to the top 3 of our masters and I really do not see this on paper. And before I buy him I want to understand what I should take with him.

His strength is versatility. Through his upgrade system, he can make every model in the Guild better, run everything and win at every Strategy. He is our support Master, more than Hoffman or Lucius. That he is also very, very fast and pretty durable is just gravy.

I was considering writing a lengthy post about the awesomeness of McCabe, but decided to just leave this here instead.

"This" does not really tell much. I am no fan of "Pullymyfinger", because it leaves so many open.

1. At what schemesis Mccabe good at ?

2. How does a list with thim look at 50 points ?

3. What models to take with him for great combos ?

4. Which of his upgrades do you take ?

1. He is good at moving and helping others move. He is not great at staying alive. He isn't great at killing stuff himself, so he relies on his crew to bring the hurt. He can also help his crew kill stuff by reactivating minions or by throwing his saber to someone.

2. There isn't really a satisfactory way to answer this question. He can literally take a list that's only composed of cheapish minions or heavy hitters or anything in between.

3. Austringers, Riflemen, Dashel, Sidir, Pale Rider, Death Marshals, Hounds. And those are only the models that combo really really well with him in my opinion. He can take pretty much anything and make it better.

4. I practically always take Badge of Speed and Glowing Sabre. The third upgrade depends on what kind of crew I'm running. Elixir of Life is good for keeping some of the bigger hitters alive, while Strangemetal shirt can be useful with Dashel and Riflemen. Barbs can be occasionally useful too, and I know some people like taking Promises on McCabe, but I usually just bring Sidir to carry it around.

It's easier to answer more specific questions. :)

Will try to answer a bit as I am one that often praises McCabe.

1. He can be good at most Strategies if you plan well.  As for schemes he excels at ones where you want a model to shoot off and interact.  This can be Plant Explosives, Delivery the Message, Breakthrough, Power Ritual, Line in the Sand, even Protect Territory.  His ability to give quick minions reactivation or any model Nimble gives him plenty of movement options and that is not even looking at his own speed.  Even ones like Distract and Cursed Object are not bad for him as he does not mind you taking numbers.  Bodyguard is an interesting one as he does have ways to heal a model, so something like Ryle could well be rough to not only kill but stick enough damage to deny that extra VP.  With the Right Henchman even Entrouage is possible though could be curbed depending on the enemy master.  Kill Progetee and even Vendetta on him are not bad as he can buff his own guys pretty well.  An Austringer with Reactivation is likely going to hit its Vendetta target first turn and could even kill it if you set things up well too.  Really the question becomes more what Schemes is he not good at.  Spring the Trap he does not have any particular advantage in as he lacks an easy lure like Belles.  Make them Suffer is not the best for him either as he likes having minions and tends to have to do killing up close if he wants to do it himself.  Assassinate becomes worrysome as well if they end up having a rough master so often you have better choices.

2. His lists can vary.  Often you though people will pick up a 'core' to his lists that they swear by and keep to that.  You actually see this alot with people for any master so it is nothing new.  The general things I see the most are the Badge, the Saber, Luna *if you are Guild*, and then 2-3 minions.  After that it really is more to the schemes and strategies.  For me I take the Badge, the Saber, and the Exilir, Luna, two Guild Hounds, a Warden, and a couple ss for my pool.  Leaves me 26ss or so to fill everything else out with.

3. Again he combos very well with alot of different models.  The fact that his buffs are pretty good universally means he has alot of wiggle room in this regard.  Most minions get better with reactivation though more expensive ones tend to get the bigger bang for your buck unless you are doing something sneaky.  I will add to Myyra's list for number 3 Myyra that McCabe also runs Wardens really really well.  Nothing quite like giving a Warden reactivation to beat on something that has already activated.  4 Mininium damage 3 attacks, more if you get another ram can really lay the pain on a target you want dead.  Nimble from the Badge or the Saber can only help this too.

4.  For me it is always Badge, Saber, and Exilir as they suit me best.  I know alot of people drop one of his passable upgrades for Promises for the Positive Flips, namely if they are not taking Sidar.  Generally you will not see him taking any upgrades but his own and Promises as he gives up more taking the generic ones.

Simply put McCabe is a force multiplier with incredible versatility. Literally ANY model that comes with him can become infinity better with one or two of his upgrades or their effects. McCabe himself can play many roles from beatstick to tank, buffer to debuffer, ranged to combat. He is probably one of the top 3 most versatile Masters in the game. There is no scheme or strategy he cannot achieve with the right planning, setup and crew. He isn't like Lady J where you can just pick him up and start smashing stuff, his upgrades and crew choices will dramatically change how his crew functions and what they can achieve, you need experience with him to test out what works for you and which upgrades or models will get the various jobs done. He's also out resident Indiana Jones Master so that's all the reason I needed to pick him up! :D

• Like 1

I only going to say Mccabe+Badge & Sabre+Francisco+Promises+Torakage.

Whilst Torakage are solid minions in their own right for McCabe to bring them into the Guild they'll cost 7ss due to the merc tax and you can only take 2. There are better choices for McCabe in the Guild, Wardens and Witchling Stalkers for example. 

As for 10T the same still rings true. Illuminated and Punk Zombies hired in with Toshiro make for MUCH better buff minions than Torakage. Giving a Punk Zombie the Sabre and Re-Activate + Nimble from McCabe then Fast and  :+fate Ml flips from Toshiro not only gives them an obscene amount of movement but 2x Flurries +1 extra AP all at Ml 6 with  :+fate Attack Flips AND Critical Strike built in on a model as tough as a Punk Zombie is the stuff of nightmares! Trust me  ;)

• Like 1

It is worth noting that, thanks to Luna making Hounds significant, McCabe's dogs are simply the best scheme running models in the entire game.

For those of you who haven't seen the trick, McCabe Black Flashes a hound, then tosses it the badge of speed. It can then take a full activation to move up to three walks (18 inches, or 21 if you are nearby Luna). Then, due to the ruling that you count as being within the range of effects you generate, the hound then companions *itself* for a second chain activation of two walks and an interact. McCabe, in my experience, just gets a free three points from schemes like Deliver the Message as long as you can keep Luna alive.

• Like 1

It is worth noting that, thanks to Luna making Hounds significant, McCabe's dogs are simply the best scheme running models in the entire game.

For those of you who haven't seen the trick, McCabe Black Flashes a hound, then tosses it the badge of speed. It can then take a full activation to move up to three walks (18 inches, or 21 if you are nearby Luna). Then, due to the ruling that you count as being within the range of effects you generate, the hound then companions *itself* for a second chain activation of two walks and an interact. McCabe, in my experience, just gets a free three points from schemes like Deliver the Message as long as you can keep Luna alive.

I see this said A LOT...and mostly I've seen it said you can do this Turn 1 (which you definitely can) and most people I've seen say they do it with Luna.

But it isn't technically free....especially if you do it (I think) foolishly with Luna. If you don't win Initiative next turn, that model is dead....and unless you ran McCabe all the way across the table too (leaving him vulnerable) then you have probably lost the Upgrade. I don't consider that "free". That Upgrade is pretty valuable throughout the game.

I think it's much easier and less risky to do it Turn 2. I understand the shock value of earning 3 VP in turn 1, but a decent player will take it in stride and continue on with their game....and if you have given up one or two very valuable tools so early, you're leaving the door open.

• Like 2

I see this said A LOT...and mostly I've seen it said you can do this Turn 1 (which you definitely can) and most people I've seen say they do it with Luna.

But it isn't technically free....especially if you do it (I think) foolishly with Luna. If you don't win Initiative next turn, that model is dead....and unless you ran McCabe all the way across the table too (leaving him vulnerable) then you have probably lost the Upgrade. I don't consider that "free". That Upgrade is pretty valuable throughout the game.

I think it's much easier and less risky to do it Turn 2. I understand the shock value of earning 3 VP in turn 1, but a decent player will take it in stride and continue on with their game....and if you have given up one or two very valuable tools so early, you're leaving the door open.

I have to agree with Dgraz here, almost every time this is brought up I suggest to people to wait till Turn 2 for this unless your opponent is kind enough to have their master advance 8-10" forward first.  The fact that McCabe has to be within 10" to retrieve his upgrade from the forward flung model means he has to be up there and possible having outdistanced the rest of your crew a little.  Like Dgraz said, if you don't do this right you might well lose the model next turn and the upgrade on it.  If the model is Luna you just lost 6ss worth of stuff.  Not overwelming, namely for 3Vp, but it could have been done with 3ss worth of stuff just as easy turn 2.  There are times where I can see it being worthwhile to do turn 1 but those are when your opponent gives you the green light for it, which is partially their own doing.

The thing McCabe has to always keep his eye out for is models with the ability to move his guys around the table against your wishes.  Lure is the prime example of this but there are things like Airburst as well.  These abilities can disrupt the space game that McCabe likes to maintain and if not careful could be costing him his valuable upgrades when you kill the bearers more than 10" from him.

Additional Note: McCabe himself also has to be careful of Delivery the Message as his mounted form has such a good walk that Lure is ideal for pulling him in so you can gain 3 VP right back.

Additional Note: McCabe himself also has to be careful of Delivery the Message as his mounted form has such a good walk that Lure is ideal for pulling him in so you can gain 3 VP right back.

All the more reason to have Sidir around with his upgrade, since he just laughs it off and can then be positioned in such a way that it'll stop further lures from dragging McCabe.

I'll have to actually try McCabe sometime soon for the first time (in 2e). This thread makes him seems like a lot of fun!

All the more reason to have Sidir around with his upgrade, since he just laughs it off and can then be positioned in such a way that it'll stop further lures from dragging McCabe.

As Lure is not a Push, McCabe would actually walk around Sidir.

• Like 1

I usually wait to use a hound for turn 2 deliver the message with McCabe usually within 10 inches (to get the badge of speed back). Much easier to lose a 3ss hound than Luna that way the other hounds are valid by themselves. I also like to do this with power ritual. First turn i like to reactivate a rifleman (to focus and get up in position first turn) or the pathfinder (for double trap summoning). I have heard hunters work well with McCabe's reactivate but have yet to try it.

• 2 weeks later...

Lemme start with I love McCabe. I've not played him nearly enough- I was focusing on getting a bunch of games with my Arcanists in, so I've taken a leave of absence from my guild duties. I'm about to pick them (and subsequently him) back up!

As for schemes and strats- His dog synergies and speed help him with anything that deals with mobility (as has already been said so I won't wax poetic). His ability to pass out slow and paralyze can also hamper the same types of schemes- (You're getting close... NET GUN! Try delivering a message now...). His flexibility in kits, and the way he makes minions and enforcers better means he can make any model needed for a given scheme or strat better at their job (an executioner with nimble? Sweet! A hunter with nimble and reactivate? Nice. An austringer with nimble and reactivate? @_@ Dear lord) 

Dogs are great for cheap activations, again as has been said, and with Luna in tow they're one of the best oneoff scheme runners in the game. They're also very good at tying models up- One dog leads and places a scheme marker, the next one (or two or three) all take 1ap charges.

Promises is fantastic since passing around upgrades with wastrels could mean everyone is getting the bonuses, and in Henchmen heavy lists, it's a force multiplier.

My favorite of all may be the Pale Rider. If you hand him a Glowing Saber, he can use the critical strike on it with his built in Rams from his "Chasing" ability. Minimum +4 damage on turn 5 with something like a 10" charge range? Yesplz.

I would suggest, even if you don't want to outright buy him, try him out on vassal or with proxies in a friendly game. His cards look fine, but there's something about just how fast he gets going that feels immediately satisfying.

ENinja

• Like 1