who to start (back) with?

Gremlin guy

I'm returning to the game and haven't played since the 2E beta started and I'm not sure which master I should jump back in with. When I last played, I was all over the place and owened crews from each faction except 10T. This time I would like to be a little more focused and choose a master and then faction to learn well.

For Resurrectionist I have, and really enjoyed playing Nicodem. In 1.5 I loved his summoning, tricks with the zombies, and his ability to support his crew with healing, buffs, and rebuffs to the opponent.

How is his play style now, or, if you played 1.5 as well, what has changed and what remains the same?

The other masters he's up against for my attention are: Zoraida (gremlin and Neverborn), Collodi, Ophelia, S'ommer, and Lucious (guild and neverborn). If you have any experience with these masters to compared contrast, it would be appreciated as well.

Nicodem is a blast. His style is, broadly, just like you described it. He is a buff machine that summons in potent undead, and can either bury the enemy in an avalanche of minions, or rip their heart out with a buffed-up undead super death machine.

What changed since 1.5? He isn't slow anymore, doesn't stay in his deployment zone, and cannot hire out of faction undead anymore.

I played Lucius, and he is very tricky, in both a good and a bad way. With him, you have to play for your VP even more than with other Masters. To get the best out of him, a player needs a solid understanding of Malifaux, but he is tons of fun if he gets the ball rolling. A well executed Lucius activation feels like intrigue and schemes right on the board. It's awesome.

Somer seems to be tons of fun and a very flexible Master, but like all the Gremlins, he suffers from the fact that a lot of Gremlin stuff is unpublished yet. Ophelia does have the same problem, but already runs very well with her base crew. How does she play? Like Death itself walking around the board. Nothing else to say.

I would advise to start reading HERE, and work your way through the wiki. Please come back with any questions you might have.

Welcome back to Malifaux!

• Like 2

He lost his offensive punch as well as the denial aspect of being able to paralyze three models a turn from 20"-away. On the other hand, he is a much more efficient summoner this time around. He can still heal models with the best of them, and is great at buffing his undead. Another new thing is that he can draw cards like a Resser version of Jakob Lynch. He is solid!