Introduction to the setting?

oistene

Hi,

Some of my players complain that they don't know the setting very well. I've instructed them to read the intro chapter of the player guide, and to look around the Wyrd site a bit, but can anyone recommend any online reading and/or fluff to get an easy grasp of the setting? They just need some easy-access bits to get started.

Reading the lore section should be a pretty good way of doing it. I've been preparing the same thing for some new players, and since not all of them access to the book, I wrote a couple of summaries. They may not be perfectly accurate, but they get the point across, as least for the purposes of my campaign.

History

The world of Malifaux is one not unlike our own. Earthside, the world is similar to our history, with one major difference: magic. Magic has existed for the longest times, and mighty magicians have warped the history of Earth. Wizards waged war with mighty spells augmenting themselves. The art of medicine used magic to great effect, while advances in technology relied upon it. This improved life considerably...until, of course, the magic disappeared. Over time, the magic left on earth began to wane. Eventually, the mightiest of sorcerers could only manage the simplest spells. Humanity was at a loss, and even though they tried to adjust, many problems arose.

The remaining wizards of the world banned together to attempt a mighty ritual that would bring back magic to Earth. The attempt seemingly failed, and a mighty explosion demolished an entire city. However, all was not truly lost. An incredibly large portal to another world, known as the Breach, came into existence. It didn't take long before some brave souls, whether wizards or explorers, ventured into the breach.

Inside the breach a massive, abandoned city was found, named Malifaux. The realm mirrored our own in many ways. The city showed architectural signs from many cultures, from European to Mediterranean to Oriental. The massive city contained numerous magical notes, relics, and more. Information on building powerful robotic constructs, spells not known to mankind, and more was found. The city seemed to be absolutely filled with magic, and its visitors found magic incredibly easy to cast. Even those without any magical knowledge would spontaneously be able to shoot fireballs or other magical effects.

But all of those things paled in comparison to the greatest discovery of all: The Soul Stones. Soul Stones were rare crystals that seemed to gather arcane energy on their own. When harnesses, they could allow Wizards to cast spells easier, or power magical weapons or constructs. Best of all, through the use of Soul Stones, magic could once again be casted on earth. The Soul Stones were named for their most curious trait. When  Soul Stone is drained of energy, it will refill if it is placed near someone who has died. While there were other ways to recharge soul stones, this got them their name. Earth seemed to be heading into a new golden age of magic, as Soul Stone harvesting increased. Thousands of people came to Malifaux, seeking adventure and treasure, or just to mine the Soul Stones. Despite the threat of monsters and the evil of men, everything seemed fine...until one horrifying day.

On one now infamous day, the breach suddenly closed. The sounds of combat and men dying could be heard from the other side. No one knew who or what had closed the gate, but there was one clue: a body was thrown out right before the breach closed, with the word "Ours" cut into him. The supply of Soul Stones was cut off. The desperate attempts to re-open the Breach failed.

Humanity began the "Great Powder Wars". Nations fought once another for the small supply of Soul Stones still circulating. They slowly got stockpiled more and more, and fighting got incredibly desperate. Yet, as a result of the War came the rise of "the Guild". The Guild started a secret society wishing to control the sources of Soul Stone, thus preventing the war. They came out into the open afterwards, and managed the meager supplies of Soul Stone. They became the sole practitioners of effective magic, and became the World's greatest power as a result.

Eventually though, to everyone's surprise, the Breach Re-opened. The Guild almost immediately sent explorer teams, and they reinforced the area near the Breach. To everyone's surprise, the bodies of the old inhabitants were never found. There were signs of combat, but no signs of life. The City of Malifaux was empty once again. The Guild went about re-colonizing the city. The Guild in Malifaux became the equivalent of a Government authority. The Guild's tyrannical rule kept their home base safe. Many threats existed, such as the nightmarish Neverborn, the inhabitants of the land. The Neverborn want humanity to leave their lands, and do it through force. Other factions seek to control and use the Soul Stone trade.

It is a time of great opportunity and progress. By now the city has settled down somewhat, with the breach stable. Endless amounts of people flood into the city, hoping to find jobs or adventure. The Guild's prisoners are sent to work in the Soul Stone Mines as well. By now, in 1897, the Guild controls one Quarter of the city, along with many outposts in the wilderness outside it.

It is a time for adventure, and horror, and, if you're lucky, success beyond your wildest dreams.

Some Locations

Malifaux City is still far from the most civilized of places. Monsters and undead stalk the streets. Only a small portion of the city is actually safe to live in, and only the rich and powerful can afford to live there. Here is a quick overview of some of the areas in the city, and it will be expanded on later.

The Breach
The breach is the massive portal connecting Malifaux to Earth. Travel through the Breach is watched carefully, and is almost exclusively by Train. Whether visiting as a prisoner or as a free man, almost all of those who come to Malifaux come through the breach. They come through Malifaux station, and then travel to the City proper. They will cross by the magnificent Governor's Mansion, and the "Hanging Tree", where criminals hang for their crimes.

Downtown
When many think of Malifaux, they think of Downtown. Downtown is the first stop for most visitors to Malifaux. Downtown is a the stronghold of the Guild, and the center of "civilization" within the city. Unlike the rest of the city, Downtown is actually mostly safe from the monsters, thieves, and undead monstrosities that both literally and figuratively plague the city. Luxurious shops and elegant theaters line the streets, as do swathes of Guardsmen. Many Earthside or Malifauxan luxuries can be found here. While it is one of the few truly safe places in the city, it is also incredibly expensive. Only the truly rich, powerful, or well connected can live in the Downtown district. While commoners may freely come and go in it, they are often watched more carefully by the guard.

The Slums
If someone can't live downtown (which includes most of the populace), they live in the Slums. The Slums compose much of the city. Residents live in the houses already existent in the city, or construct their own. The Slums are far more dangerous than Downtown. While the areas near Downtown may have Guild protection and law, much of the Slums remains dangerous. Monsters and Undead may stalk the streets, depending on your location. Just as dangerous are the various Criminals wishing to rob residents, or the Arcanists who may be asking for "Protection money". However, the lack of Guild Presence also has major benefits. Illegal magic can be practiced more freely, and many arms and armor can be bought at a much cheaper price than what the Guild offers.

Characters in this campaign are assumed to live in the Slums unless they have another reason (such as being part of the Guild and residing in their barracks).

The Quarantine Zone
While the Guild controls about a 1/4 of Malifaux city, much of it is completely uncontrolled. The Guild has walled off large portions of the city, deeming this area the "Quarantine Zone". Only Guild personnel are allowed to go to and from it. All others, whether coming from or going to, are shot on sight. Despite the strict enforcement of this rule, there are many secret passages to and from these parts of the city. The sewers offer many routes, although they come with dangers of their owns, from monsters to cave-ins. The Quarantine Zone is incredibly dangerous, both the monstrous Neverborn and the cruel Resserucctionists use this land. The monsters slay humans freely here, while the Necromancers wish to practice their art. Hordes of undead monstrosities roam the streets. Despite the dangers, there are also incredible rewards. Ancient mystical or mechanical artifacts can be found here. Forbidden knowledge of both magic and treasure is oftentimes found here. People who wish to avoid the Guild oftentimes find refuge here, such as the legendary Freikorps mercenary group.

Factions

Malifaux is full of many different competing factions. Your character may be part of one or more of them, or none of them. Your character may also join them in game possibly.

The Guild
The Guild is the ruler of Malifaux. They have utmost control of the Soulstone trade, and put in immeasurable amounts of resources to ensure it continues. They are the primary authority in the city, and they handle law enforcement, protection, management of the city, and far more. They issue the primary currency, known as "Guild Script" as well. The Guild rules the city with an iron fist. They have a heavy control over magic in the city, and believe they are the only ones fit to use it. The Guild has multiple divisions dedicated to fighting the various threats in the city. The "Witch Hunters" hunt down illegal practitioners of magic, which any counts more or less any non-guild mage. They are rightly feared by the populace. The "Death Marshalls" hunt the necromancers and undead in the city, and have a far more positive reception among the populace. The Neverborn Hunters fight the vicious monsters of the city as well. While their leadership are basically tyrannical despots, many members of the Guild simply seek to protect innocent people from the various threats within the city. Their politics are nuanced and complex. Whether they serve as a patron or an adversary, they will likely be a major part of any campaign.

The Arcanists
While "Arcanist" is a general term for any Non-Guild mage, the Arcanist organization are either vicious criminals or heroic freedom fighters hoping to put a stop to the Guild's stranglehold on Soulstones and magic, depending on who you ask. In truth, they are a mix of both. The "Miners and Steamfitter's Union" is a front for the Arcanists. Because of how critical the Union is to the Soulstone trade, members within it are oftentimes kept safe from the Witch Hunters. The Arcanists wish to make the Soulstone trade more open, and spread magical knowledge. They are more than willing to use violence to achieve their aims. However, they also are a massive criminal organization. They oftentimes train new members to steal, murder, or extort money from the various businesses around town. In essence, they are basically a "Wizard Mafia" of sorts, mixed with heroic freedom fighters.

The Ressurectionists
The Ressurectionists is a very loose faction. It is the catch-all term for the Necromancers of the city. The populace's hatred for the Ressurrectionists is rivaled only by the Neverborn, and even then many fear the undead more. The Ressurrectionists may practice Necromancy for many reasons. They may have a curiosity in the matters of life or death, they may hear the secrets of the art in whispers on the wind, or they may seek a form of power that few can rival. They are heavily outlawed. Members of this faction are only loosely allied, as they oftentimes fight each other over resources...namely bodies.

The Ten Thunders
The Ten Thunders is an incredibly secretive clan of criminals hailing from the Three Kingdoms, a united group of nations including Korea, China, and Japan. They are masters of infiltration and subversion, preferring to fight from the Shadows whenever they can. Like everyone in Malifaux, they seek to control as much of the Soulstone trade as they can. They control a powerful Black Market, and perform various criminal activities in the city. One particular trait of the Ten Thunders is that they have successfully infiltrated pretty much every faction in Malifaux. They have secret members in the Guild, Arcanists, Ressurrectionists, and more. They run the "Little Three Kingdoms" district of Malifaux. There members vary from ninjas and samurai to cybernetically augmented rail workers. Despite their origins, they are willing to let those who lack "Three Kingdoms" blood in the organization, mostly due to their leader's pragmatism.

The Outcasts
The Outcasts are not a true "faction". They are the many members of the city that don't belong to any of the other ones. They range from mercenaries to ganglords to businessmen and women to servants of ancient, apocalyptic entities. The "Outcasts" are as varied as they come. Some are innocent people trying to find a new life. Others are ambitious mercenaries. Others are petty thugs. Prominent Outcasts include the militant Freikorps, the most organized mercenary company in the city.

The Neverborn
Known as the Neverborn among humanity, they are the native inhabitants of Malifaux. They are incredibly varied, from the vampiric demons known as the Nephillim to the mind wrecking "Woes". The Neverborn hate humanity with utter passion, and above all else wish to see them out of Malifaux. They fight in secret much of the time, though leaving Downtown may leave you vulnerable to their attacks. They seem equally interested in the fear they cause. They mutilate bodies, destroy minds and generally seek to cause as much pain and suffering in their victims as possible.

The Gremlins
The Gremlins are a race of green, diminutive little monsters that have taken to mimicking humans. They are almost all incredibly stupid, though that doesn't make them safe to deal with. Many of them hate humanity and will use their blunderbusses to kill them on sight. Others are friendly and willing to trade, however. They have an incredible love for pigs, even using them in combat. They are natives to Malifaux, like the Neverborn. They live in the Bayou, and highly resemble stereotypical rednecks or hillbillies.

• Like 3

Nice write up! That's a great intro for any beginner. The Gremlin section could be fleshed out a bit. Mentioning that they are also natives of Malifaux living in the Bayou and that they highly resemble stereotypical recknecks or hillbillys but otherwise a very informative introduction to the places and "people" of Malifaux. 

Nice write up! That's a great intro for any beginner. The Gremlin section could be fleshed out a bit. Mentioning that they are also natives of Malifaux living in the Bayou and that they highly resemble stereotypical recknecks or hillbillys but otherwise a very informative introduction to the places and "people" of Malifaux. 

Thanks! I added the part about the "rednecks" and hillbillies. They're not figuring into my campaign very much so I didn't waste much time explaining them, but I think it would be best to just add it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up the game.  After reading through the background, I wanted to know if there had been anything written about Earthside.  There are a number of references to the gunpowder wars, but little on locations and countries.  My players are really big on background, so I was looking to see if there was more information on Earthside.

I just picked up the game.  After reading through the backgroound, I wanted to know if there had been anything written about Earthside.  There are a number of references to the gunpowder wars, but little on locations and countries.  My players are really big on background, so I was looking to see if there was more information on Earthside.

Not that much. There are hints here and there, asides, single sentences, but not too much about Earthside's actual situation.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For my first group of players (all mostly ignorant of the setting) I intentionally avoided giving them the full description of the setting and it worked out great.

I filled them in on the earthside history (waning magic, gunpowder wars, 1st breach etc.) but left details of Malifaux itself intentionally vague. I then described the second opening of the breach, resttlement of Malifaux and the authority of the guild/opposition held by the M&SU. By comparing the setting to such concepts as the gold rush and manifest destiny the players got the gist of the settings mood. Then during character generation I laid down a couple of rules.

1. Certain stations should be reflipped if drawn (Ortega, Neverborn stolen, Gremlin Stolen)

2. The last event in each characters backstory should explain why and how they have aquired a ticket through the breach and into Malifaux city.

This meant that while the players were largely ignorant of the details of the setting the same could be said for their characters, it actually worked out really well with the players slowly working certain details out (what are witchlings for example). Strongly recommend trying something like this for groups of players without setting knowledge.

• Like 1