Help a noob (building a crew)

rodrinat

Me and some friends want to start playing malifaux. I really love 3 masters of this faction: Rasputina, Colette and Kaeris. I wish to make a play test with all of them before buying a box. So i would like to know pros and cons of this masters and maybe some crew examples to play at 50 ss. Thank you for your help

Obligatory plug for Pull My Finger. It really is the best resource for the sort of big-picture stuff you're looking for.

For what it's worth, the only one of those three that has a current box is Rasputina (the others are coming, we've seen the renders...) so if you are interested in a flexible blaster-caster with some tight crew synergy and more than a few tricks up her sleeves I would suggest you pick up the Blessed of December box.

A basic 50SS list might look something like this (an experienced Raspy player might tell you otherwise)

Rasputina - Cold Nights, Armor of December, +4 stones

Wendigo

Blessed of December - Imbued Energies

December Acolyte

2x Ice Gamin

Ice Golem

Silent One

And then there's the standard caveat that fixed lists aren't a thing in this game and that you'll always want to build for the specific strategy, schemes, and terrain.

Ty for the help. I looked all the masters in that page. It helped me a lot to decide what i want to play. But there are not examples of crews and some of them could help me. i dont know if it´s ideal to upgrade all models, which models are really usefull and which should i spam

We are just play testing with other models so i can wait until other boxes come out. I will use your crew to test rasputina. Can i ask why you dont use the snow spirit?

I will try to make a crew of the other 2 with the help pf that page

Fixed lists aren't a thing in this game once you start getting some proficiency.

Thus

i dont know if it´s ideal to upgrade all models

Depends on the scenario, but generally no. Arcanists have very strong upgrades, though.

which models are really useful

All of them are, depending on your game plan. This game is well balanced, and you can find a use for (nearly) everything.

which should i spam

None. Spamming doesn't work too well. The models that would be worth spamming have a rare restriction, in my eyes.

Can i ask why you dont use the snow spirit?

Which to take of the expensive Frozen Heart models (Snow Storm, Blessed of December (who cost 9 btw, it's misprinted as 6 in some places) and Ice Golem) depends a lot on Strategy and play style. If you are just testing while proxying just take which one you feel like.

None. Spamming doesn't work too well. The models that would be worth spamming have a rare restriction, in my eyes.

While not really applicable to the listed masters*, some summoners spam a specific model, but for hiring it's rare.

* Kaeris can summon Fire Gamin, but it's an on kill trigger so it's usually not that common.

But there are not examples of crews and some of them could help me. 

The way Malifaux works which is VERY different from almost every other wargame I've come across. You don't walk up to the table with alist in hand, you build your crew to suit the objectives at hand which are randomly determined at the start of each game after declaring which faction you will play. Once the objectives have been decided (1 Strategy, 5 Schemes) you then decide which 2 out of 5 scheme you want to try and achieve and build a crew to suit the Strategy and 2 chosen schemes. This is why you will rarely if ever come across all comers lists or cheese lists in Malifaux. They just don't exist because each crew is tailored to each game. If you want to get a feel for other people's crew lists and see why they picked what they picked I recommend checking out some battle reports. They will give you a list of what was used for particular schemes or strategies and how they played out. What worked for them, what didn't and what they would have done differently. Also, they often make for a good read. :D

The game isn't set up for Fixed lists.  

That said, if you are looking for a basic list to try out how the master works, you'd probably do well to use the crew box and 2 or 3 in theme models.

Upgrades are fairly optional for these masters. They have some great ones, but I don't think there are any that are essential, so you can build a trial list that is compeltly upgrade free if you want to avoid the extra things to keep track of.

Kaeris

Firestarter

3 Fire gamin

Eternal Flame

Add in a gunsmith and a Rail Golem, and a few upgrades and you are at 50ss. Or cut out the upgrades and hire a second Gunsmith.

Colette

mechanical Dove *3

Cassandra

2 Manniquins

2 performers

2 Corephyee

(possible drop a performer or some doves to add upgrades)

Rasputina

Wendigo

Ice Golem

3 Ice Gamin

2 Decembers Acolytes

Blessed of December.

Now in all honesty, none of these are great lists, but they are fairly general and allow you to see how the masters work. Try them a few times, possibly adding in some upgrades to see how you can change the play style of the master with diferent abilities, and then  start looking at what models you don't think are workign for you, and what the crew is lacking, and then start changing the crews to meet what you think they are lacking.

Reading battle reports lets you see how otehr people use the masters, and might show you some synergies you hadn't seen. But My best advice would be to try a basic list and see how the master goes for you.

Me and some friends want to start playing malifaux. I really love 3 masters of this faction: Rasputina, Colette and Kaeris. I wish to make a play test with all of them before buying a box. So i would like to know pros and cons of this masters and maybe some crew examples to play at 50 ss. Thank you for your help

Seconding all of the above - spend $50/£30 on a box set each, and then another $20/£15 on a 3-pack of related models that look cool and you've seen mentioned a lot on this forum or pull my finger, and give it a go.

There are, what, almost 50 possible opposing masters you could face in each game, and close on 30 different objectives you might be trying to achieve in each game too, so the idea of having a play-test or two and seeing if you like one master is kinda (sorry to say!) a bit of a nonsense - as the opponent and the scheme pool will make each game you play very different anyway. 

If you "like" 3 of the crews, you already have your answer - just go with it and start with one of them - and as Raspy is the only one on sale at the moment that will come with all of the 2.0 cards you will need to play in the box, for me she's your clear winner already. 

Your alternative is spending $20/£15 on 2 packs of arsenal cards and trying to play a game with counters of a ruleset you haven't yet tried - and then you'll duplicate all of the cards when you buy the figures anyway, so that's going to probably be wasted money! 

I agree with every one that fixed lists is not how malifaux works. That said it is perfectly normal for any new player to make a fixed list. When I teach people how to play malifaux we normally dont play schemes and only focus on 1 main strategy. This gives them an opportunity to get a feel for the models that they are playing with and discovering for them selves what models are good in what situation. They will also see synergies between different models and how they best fit into each situation.As time goes on and they play more games they build experience and can start increasing the ss pool of that master and try new things. Only then can you focus on building to fit each game.

Lets be honest after reading the cards and planing what you going to do in theory is very different to putting that theory into game play. Things that come up is you might have to many models that use the same kind of suit and you finding it harder for certain things to go off due to the lack of cards. This all comes from playing the game more often. 

I say have fun with a crew you like the sound of enjoy learning the crew and play with models you like the sound of. Every time I start a new master I try different things every game, after a few games you will start putting the pieces of the puzzle together and know where what fits best. 

As for raspy the models I have for her at the moment are 

Standard box 

Snow storm(old model and not easy to find)

December Acolytes 

Hoarcat pride

I am waiting on more plastics before I expand this crew

Colette models like cassandra

Blessed of December

New ice dancers (wishful thinking i think)