Drinking the Rootbeer: Or, How I learned to love the bayou

EntrepeNinja

I just had my first game with Ophelia. It was a doubles game with Som'er on my side of the table. We were facing all of the hires. (Hired Guns x Hired Swords)

It was really very fun. Every time I ran into a problem there was a new solution. Gotta kill Hannah who's all the way across the board? Lenny tosses Francois to Ophelia who Jug Rockets him into charge range. "Accidentally" flip the red joker for on Dumb Luck trigger? Stilts the pain away! Have more than one threat at extreme range? Threaten Rami into taking two focused shots a turn.

So, I guess what I'm saying is... I drank the rootbeer.

I'm definitely looking to get Brewmaster in May. But short of "Gotta get em all!", I'm waffling to a third master. Do I need a third master if I want to be able to cover a wide enough spread for events? Who would be a good compliment to Ophelia and Brewie? 

Ophelia and Brewie seem to do Damage/Killing (Ophelia) and turfing/denial (Brewie), but Recon? Stake a claim? 

I suppose the easy answer is to rock the Bayou Boss Big Hat himself, Som'er, but I l've always loved friendly obey masters, so Ulix calls to me. The shock and awe of Wong looks pretty legit too, though it seems a little overalpped with Ophelia. 

I dunno- just thoughts I guess. Anyone have any advice to a new Gremlin? 

Ulix is a lot of fun. I play him a lot, but his crew is highly specialized so there will be little overlap between Ophelia and Brewie's crews. Basically with Ulix if it is a pig it will work with him. If it's not you're gonna have a harder time of it. Most of the time the only other gremlin models I run with Ulix is a slop hauler and sometimes Merris for the blast protection. 

Welcome to the fun faction - we have moonshine!

One note, I'm not sure from your description but do note that you can't Toss Francois who has Stilts (since he becomes Ht 2).

Wong is fun but I'm not sure that he plugs any holes - Ophelia is pretty similar in the grand scheme of things (though she certainly plays very different). I think that Ulix or Somer would be better in that they both can, e.g., produce a ginormous pile of Scheme Markers if needed.

@Mathonwy That was my concern with Wong- looks totally fun to play, but seems like he plays relatively similar to Ophelia. I would guess with Pushes and moviing enemies around, he'd be a little better at reckoning (Push people into our out of zones, or the center so they don't count) or Interference (Push people into someone's big melee range so they don't count towards the quarter), but... Still mostly firey death from range.

I think Som'er may be on the list regardless, simply because of Lenny. He's a powerhouse when it comes to giving out triggers, and that armor aura was pretty beast. I don't know if I'm in love with a "Git yer Bro" summoning list- I've watched it in action too many times. Too easy to disassemble. But I've seen him so some silly damage with "Do it like dis" with auto triggering thinkin' luck. 

Ulix: I do love friendly obey crews- Collodi and Hoffman- with his ability to ride pigs, he feels a little Hoffman-esque. But the high model count might be a turn off... 

Maybe Ophelia, Som'er and Brewie will do just fine. They seem like a nice set of models that compliment each other well. I wonder if Moon Shinobi work into any other lists well? Drag in fingers, and give him open bar? Or maybe just let 'em do their own thing instead of Bayou Gremlins?

With the lists you have you may struggle against certain crews or models containing Hard to Kill/Incorporeal/Armored models. Lenny is a staple of almost any Gremlin list, with Wong you get not only ranged damage, but multiple target ranged damage with his blasts and the pulse from the spell. You also get to make 1 of your models Glowy allowing them to ignore Incorporeal, Hard to Kill, and Armor. It adds a bit or versatility to models you already have (if you take the upgrade they get Regen 1 and +1 damage). Since most armored models have low Df, this can be a nasty surprise against them. 

Wong is actually REALLY GOOD at Turf War since it causes the opponent to bunch up in the middle of the board.

Wong is really good at everything! If they have to group up, he punishes them, if they don't want to group up, tough, he'll group 'em up and punish them, he makes your hitter hit harder and messes with their (and your) scheme markers. He's the Gremlin Swiss Army Knife!

Well, the thing about playing wong is that in order to play wong right now..........

you buy a Wong model. That's a large benefit, Imho. He's a 12 or whatever dollar new crew. So that might just happen regarless. (Leave the lightnin' bugs and assistant for when the box comes out if I'm still interested. 

He sounds like if Colette and Raspy had some terrible child. Then tossed him in the swamp and forgot about him.

Eninja

• Like 1