Terry Pratchett - What was your favourite?

Ok, with the sad news of Terry's passing I have started a thread to celebrate his work.  I am thinking a lot of people on here appreciated, or even loved his work.  I started reading his novels as a young teen many many moons ago, and have got every single novel he has written.

We all likely have favourite characters or novels and so I would like us to post them here, just to share some of his fantastic creations.

My favourite novel by Terry is Guards! Guards!  A brilliant rollercoaster of a read, featuring a hapless Watch, political scheming and a dragon!  I highly recommend anyone wanting to read some Pratchett checks this book out.

My favourite Character is probably the Watch (yes I know there are more than one but *blows raspberry*).  I love how these charcaters have developed over the years and many novels they have featured in.  It is a shame I will never get to read more about their exploits but the memories created will keep me going, and my imagination can figure out the rest..

RIP Terry.

• Like 4

Thanks for the thread. I started reading the books in my teens and I was hooked. Great mixture of Fantasy, humor and scheming. I haven't read Raising Steam yet, so I think it's a smart plan to do so soon.

My favorite novel is Feet of Clay!.It was actually the first novel I did read, so that helps too. I have found it to be a great mix of fun, mystery, and action. One of the better ones in the series. Reaper Men is also very good.

I honestly have a hard time choosing my favorite characters from the books, as there are so many! Every group of characters has some I really like, and all are well written. If I have to make a split, Ricewind would be my favorite solo character, as the bumbling, cowardly, and extremely unlucky Wizzard always makes up for fun situations. As for groups, I really like the Watch. A diverese, well rounded cast of characters that has grown over the years. Especially Vimes and Deterius are the most liked from this group.

• Like 1

Small Gods maybe, there are a bunch I really like. I definitely prefer the middle books, some of the early one are a bit too standard fantasy parody. Some of the late ones are a bit preachy, I mean there is social commentary in most of them, but it gets kind of unsubtle towards the end.

Mine is also Guards Guards.  It was the first Pratchett I read after a friend lent it to me.  I really haven't read as much Pratchett as I should (think I've only read about a dozen books in total).  I quite like to read things in order so I started reading them from the beginning and found that there were just come characters I didn't like that much so lost interest in the book.  It's mainly the books with the Witches in that I haven't got on with but generally stuff with Rincewind, Death and the Guards has been very enjoyable.  I've not kept up with a lot of the more recent (read 10+ years!) stuff so there's probably other characters introduced that I'm missing.

• Like 1

I haven't read all his books yet, but my favorite ones so far are Monstrous Regiment, Going Postal and The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents.

And I really like his short stories like Hades Business (which he wrote when he was 13 year old), Turntables of the Night and The Fluffy Bear.

• Like 1

So many choices!

I remember being given The colour of Magic by a friend around 11-12 years old and reading every Discworld book I could.

My favourite has to be Nightwatch though. Seeing all the characters I had grown up with as their younger selves was an uncanny reflection of putting myself in the story and recalling when I first entered Discworld as a kid.

Favourite character? Far too many to choose from! Deaths outlook on humanity? Vimes, hell all the City Watch! Nanny Ogg and her songs? The list could go on and on. Gun to head and forced to choose?.............

Nobby.

Probably my favorite Discworld book is Hogfather.  Anytime Death is the central focus is a treat, and I do love his daughter with her job as a nanny.

Favorite all time book is Good Omens which he co-wrote with Neil Gaimen.  Not a week goes by where I do not make at least one reference from the book.

Favorite characters: a toss up between the Librarian and the Luggage (who has become a model here in Malifaux). 

Nightwatch is my favorite, followed by Hogfather.

Death is my favorite character, though, Granny Weatherwax is pretty legit.

I had also been enjoying the Long Earth series he had been writing with Stephen Baxter.  The fourth book out of five is due out soon.  I'm not familiar with Baxter's independent work to have any sense of how well he'd finish the series off without Pratchett.

Good Omens was my favorite but I loved the Discworld series.

I'm actually in the middle of reading his Long Earth series he recently started with Stephen Baxter. I encourage folks to give a view when you can, very interesting premise and writing. Especially as it's not what you're used to seeing from him.

Vimes is my favorite character, for sure.

Night Watch is my favorite book.

Although anything with Moist Vonlipwig is a close second.

Small Gods and Good Omens are amazing as well.

Really sad to see him go. His books are like an old friend.

You sure we arent twins Justin?

Given my avatar on this site and across the internet I think it should be obvious.

The Librarian for me is the foremost character penned by the great Sir Terry, he will be deeply missed. I loved his stories and he inspired me and I think many others.

I loved Good Omens and in the Discworld The Truth, Thief of Time, Fifth Elephant are classics but Interesting Times is my favorite.

RIP Terry Pratchett..... You made so much of my time so very, very interesting and I thank you.

"OOOK"

Hum, maybe the last Hero....

Favorite Character ? Maybe the Death and Death of Rat (fun fact, in French : Death of Rats is called "la Mort-au-rats", or la mort au rats is a poison for rodents)

In the forum of the Ludothèque de Boulogne-Billancourt, I choose in january to do a "CDA" (choix des armes, I am committed to paint some minis of one collection, with temporal constraints)... It was minis from Discworld (micro arts studio).

So last saturday I painted the Death....

d2klDYI.jpg

Terry Pratchett was a legend and he will be sorely missed. Especially in my local area. He lived roughly 40 mins up the road from where I work. Every year the village put on a Discworld themed weekend event and they all dressed up as characters from his books. I went as Rincewind one year although my parents were hesitant to allow me to drag the dog around looking like Luggage. He was a totally unique individual and I am sorry to see he has gone, he did last a lot longer than expected. He was suffering with a rare form of Alzheimer but he still managed to get 2-3 books out before the end. My favorite books like many of you are the first ones I read. Guards Guards is my favorite book but character it HAS to be Nobby Nobbs. :D

Good Omens and I really enjoyed Thud! (obviously)

Never read an author so prolific yet so consistently good. Even the "worst" books are still thoroughly enjoyable. The evolution of characters through the series is something you often don't see from large series either. Vimes, The WItches and hell even Death itself change from book to book and are very different and very grown characters by the end of the series

My hands down favourite is reaper man, something about death on holiday and the Wizards dealing with a supermarket manifestation where they can't swear had me in tears of laughter, much to the bemusement of other train passengers.

Favourite characters would include Vimes, Detritus, Gaspode, Death, The Librarian, Nanny Ogg, Vetinari, Rincewind, the Luggage and Igor. Let's be honest though, you'd struggle to name any really bad characters!

I read and loved most of Pratchetts books. And I have almost all of them in german and english (Raising Steam is the only one I don't have from the Discworld books).

My favorite one would also be the first I read. The Fifth Elephant. Closley followed by Thief of Time and Going Postal.

My favorite character is Vimes. Then probably Death and Vetenari.