It's Tough Being Queen - Slow Grow League Reports

MasterDisaster

Agreed. Hopefully I'll have a decent beard for my dust up with Perdita, that shooty wench is worrying me a little with my fairly fragile Nephilim but there isn't a problem in the game Tangled Shadows can't solve so I'll just stick with that!! :D

I'm looking forward to it. There isn't a problem in the game a good bullet between the eyes can't solve, so your Tangle Shadows will have nothing on a Peacebringer.

:D

Boys boys.. You know nothing. Expunge is the answer.

While I agree that a good Expunge solves a lot of problems, you have to admit that in comparison to just shooting everything, the setup for Expunge is a veritable headache.

• 1 month later...

Well... here we go! Game 3 of my League. The highly anticipated Lilith vs. Perdita match. Enjoy!

Slow Grow League Game 3 – 35ss – Old Debts Repaid (Lilith vs. Perdita)

Standard Deployment – Reconnoiter

ALiTS

Assassinate

Bodyguard

Plant Explosives

Outflank

Lilith -- 6 Pool

+Beckon Malifaux [1]

+Fears Given Form [1]

+Living Blade [2]

Cherub [3]

Mature Nephilim [11]

+Obsidian Talons [1]

Terror Tot [4]

Terror Tot [4]

Young Nephilim [6]

Lilith Crew Pic

Game%203%20-%20Perdita.jpg

Assassinate & Plant Explosives

VS.

Perdita Ortega -- 2 Pool

+Hermanos de Armas [1]

Enslaved Nephilim [3]

Francisco Ortega [8]

+Wade In [1]

Nino Ortega [7]

Papa Loco [7]

Santiago Ortega [7]

+Hair Trigger [1]

Perdita Crew Pic

Game%203%20-%20Lilith.jpg

A Line in the Sand (Revealed) & Plant Explosives

Lucius sat at his desk drumming his fingers on the corner of a dossier that had been compiled for him regarding recent events. This particular dossier happened to contain recent reports of Neverborn activity in the local area the failings they had dealing with them. He surveyed the band of ruffians that had gathered around him whilst he waited for the late arrival. In the far corner of the room there was a small quiet man polishing a multi-barrelled rifle of some sort, to his left was a tall man who was built like a brick privy and stank of alcohol, a pair of pistols hung from his belt. He was inspecting the gold filigree on a book case. 

Sat directly in front of him was the oldest of the group, wearing a ragged old poncho which had years of dirt matted into it and a large sombrero hanging around his neck. Beside him was a small creature, chains bound him to his master and it remained silent. Its obedience was absolute at this point, it was clear to Lucius that the creature had been in those chains for a long time.

“Where is she Francisco?! The Governor doesn’t pay us to sit on our backsides all day! We have work to be done!” Lucius demanded.

“How am I supposed to know, she does as she pleases.” Francisco replied with slight smirk on his face.

“You are her older brother, surely if you canno…” Lucius started to reply but before he could finish the large gilded doors to the office swung open and crashed against the walls rattling on their hinges, a tall, slender, well-endowed woman with long dark hair strode in followed by a man in a straitjacket. Immediately Lucius panicked at the sight of the man from the asylum however his mask didn't let it show.

“Lady Ortega! What is the meaning of this? And why in all the Tyrants names have you released him from the asylum?!”

“Be quiet coward! It was you who summoned me here, you asked for our assistance in dealing with your little problems and I will deal with them how I see fit! As for Papa, he is family. He comes with us!” Perdita barked at him. She flicked her poncho over one shoulder to reveal her highly modified pistol and rested one hand on it threateningly whilst Papa sniggered to himself.

“Your track record is impressive I will admit Lady Ortega however your demeanour is not! We are civilized here within the city limits. Perhaps you and your kin have forgotten what it is to be a member of a civilized society!” Lucius stated with an aura of superiority in his voice.

“Shut it little man, give us our orders from the Governor and let us be on our way. Who is the mark?” Perdita demanded.

“Oh I am glad to see you still have the Guild’s best interests at heart my Lady. You are the best we have for this sort of thing. It is you’re old foe…. Lilith.” Lucius replied as if taunting Lady Ortega.

“No… That is NOT possible! We killed her, Nino saw it with his own two eyes.” Lady Ortega shouted. She looked angrily at Nino who was still polishing the barrels of his fearsome rifle. Without any fear or worry he calmly returned her gaze and shrugged then returned to carefully attending to his weapon.

“That was proven to a Doppelganger by our finest mortician Dr McMourning, I have the medical report right here. I trust I can leave this matter with you Lady Ortega?” Lucius asked smugly.

Perdita didn’t reply to Lucius directly but Lucius knew he was going to get what he wanted.

“Get off your asses boys, we are leaving!” She barked at her family leaving the room in a hurry.

The office doors slammed shut behind her, Lucius could hear her storming back down the corridor. He heard the sound of something smash. Lucius grinned to himself behind his mask and sat back in his chair.

A few days later the group had gathered their supplies and were travelling to one of the last known locations their target had been seen by Guild operatives. Nino had ran ahead to scout the area. Francisco was walking beside his sister with his sword drawn carefully checking the woods around him.

“Don’t worry sister, she will not escape us this time” Francisco whispered.

“I do worry Frank, this creature has haunted us for far too long. We are going to do it right this time.” Perdita replied.

As the group of Ortegas wondered further into the forest something stirred in the night air. The only light was that of the moon dimly lighting up the trees. Some of them seemed to twist and turn in the shadows. Suddenly a shot could be heard in the distant followed by the sounds of an unnatural creature screaming in pain.

“NOW!!!” screamed a stranger in the gloom. The voice was gruff and harsh but Perdita knew what was coming, she had heard it’s like before.

“It’s a trap!” Perdita yelled.

The trees rustled violently, vines and roots erupted from the ground. They knitted themselves into a wall surrounding the area blocking off any chance of escape. The group of Ortegas went back to back. Guns pointing into the darkness, they prepared for an ambush.

Deployment

Game%203%20-%20Deployment.jpg

Turn 1 – Initiative goes to Lilith.

Lilith started things off by blocking LoS to her crew with an Illusionary Forest then walks twice to a hill for cover then takes the defensive stance in an aggressive effort to provoke a response. It works are Perdita activates, relocates to Nino who is skulking by a wall, she uses (0) Cover Me and calls Santiago to her. She shoots at Lilith hitting for 2 Dmg but a SS prevents 1. Her second shot misses wildly. The Terror Tot on my far right (Tot 2) sprints twice getting no Masks. The Enslaved Nephilim shackles Papa Loco to Nino then shackles Francisco to Nino. Tot 1 then tries to catch up to his brother by sprinting twice again getting no Masks. Francisco walks twice to re-position in order to retaliate to a potential charge from Lilith next turn.  My Mature Nephilim flies over to the Tots to carry on babysitting his little brothers. With his LoS now blocked Nino has to walk twice to see anything. The Young Nephilim leaves his woods and takes cover by some barrels in order to prepare for a counter charge should Francisco or Perdita go after Lilith. Santiago walks into Lilith’s forest and takes a shot at the Young Nephilim but misses so in retaliation the Cherub flies over to the barrels with the Young Nephilim and takes a shot at Perdita but misses taking 2 Dmg from her Df Trigger.

End of Turn Score 0-0

Start of Turn 2

Game%203%20-%20Turn%202%20Start.jpg

Turn 2 – Initiative goes to Lilith

Lilith kicks things off again by trying to use Tangled Shadows on Perdita however this happens….

Game%203%20-%20BJ.jpg

Balls.... So with that done Lilith re-positions her Forest right between herself and Perdita, uses (0) Sudden Darkness and charges through the forest for a +1 Damage bonus. The first attack lands 4 Dmg as does the second. Perdita uses both of her SS to prevent damage on both attacks, each SS only prevents 1 Dmg. Perdita activates passing her Fears Given Form test then walks to get in range of Lilith. She attacks and Lilith uses a SS for a Mask (I later realize Lilith’s Df trigger wont work as Perdita’s attacks use Sh not Ml) I flip the RJ and the attack misses anyway. Perdita attacks again and puts 3 Dmg on Lilith spilling Black Blood on Perdita. Perdita then uses (0) Cover me to bring Francisco into the fight. Francisco companions and uses El Mayor on Perdita, Flips the RJ for Fears Given Form and then attacks Lilith for 5 Dmg but a SS prevents 2 Dmg. Black Blood deals 1 Dmg to both Francisco and Perdita. His second attack misses. The Young Nephilim charges Perdita but misses with it’s first. It’s second attack hits for for 2 Dmg and triggers Flush Out pushing Perdita 4” away. Papa Loco walks around the back of the fight and detonates catching Lilith, Young Nephilim, Cherub and Francisco in the blast. All the Nephilim pass their test however Francisco fails! Santiago companions and drops a scheme marker and walks to be ready to place another later. The Cherub doesn't like this idea so he re-positions and shoots at Santiago only to miss. Nino then places a marker and walks away to place another later. Tot 1 sprints twice into the top right quarter which he alone now dominates. The Enslaved Nephilim shackles Francisco to Nino to stop him from being murdered next turn and then shackles Perdita to himself. The Mature Nephilim realizing Lilith could be in trouble here abandons his brothers and flies towards the center. Tot 2 Walks (I pretty much gave up sprinting at this point, I never had any Masks come up and never had any to spare!) back to my bottom right quarter dominating that on his own. Perdita reveals Plant Explosives tagging two of my models for 2 VP.

End of Turn Score 1-2 (+1 Lilith Reconnoiter, +2 Perdita Plant Explosives)

I forgot to take a picture here

Turn 3 – Initiative goes to Lilith

Lilith decides to seize the day and goes first again. She uses (0) Sudden Darkness and charges Perdita. Her first attack is all it takes landing 4 Dmg on Perdita and killing her netting me 3 VP for Assassinate. She then uses her last action to hit Nino for 4 Dmg and repositions her Forest to block LoS to the Enslaved Nephilim to prevent any shackle shenanigans. Francisco activates passing his Fears Given Form test and uses Enfrentate a Mi! to get at Lilith whilst pushing the Enslaved Nephilim and Nino away. His attack then misses Lilith. Santiago companions and drops a marker then shoots the Mature Nephilim but misses. My Young Nephilim attacks Papa Loco killing him and suffering 5 Dmg from the resulting blast and taking out the Cherub by accident. He then walks up to engage Francisco. After his push the Enslaved Nephilim now has LoS to Francisco so he shackles him to Santiago then walks to get better LoS for next turn. My Mature Nephilim flies over to Santiago and Francisco and drops a Scheme Marker. Nino tries shoot Lilith but flips the BJ for damage on the first shot whilst the second hits for 3 Dmg which is all swiftly prevented by a very lucky SS Prevention Flip. The Tots walk twice each to hide as far away from anything as they can whilst still dominating their respective table quarters. Lilith reveals Plant Explosives tagging Francisco and Santiago for 2 VP.

End of Turn Scores 7 – 2 (+3 Lilith Assassinate, +2 Lilith Plant Explosives, +1 Lilith Reconnoiter)

End of Turn 3

Game%203%20-%20Turn%203%20Start.jpg

Turn 4 – Initiative goes to Lilith.

Lilith realizing Francisco only have 1 wound left decides to try and have some cake and eat it too! So she kills Francisco using Wicked Vines then charges Nino utterly crushing him with a single attack killing him too. She then throws up another Forest to block LoS to the Enslaved Nephilim. Santiago Rapid Fires at the Mature after passing his terrifying test missing the first attack, flipping the RJ for the second dealing 5 Dmg which is dropped to 4 Dmg after Armour and finally missing the third shot. Naturally the Mature Nephilim doesn’t like being shot at so he charges Santiago missing his first attack but still manages to get a 5 Dmg moderate on a double negative against him with the second attack. The Enslaved Nephilim walks to get LoS to Santiago and tries to save him by shackling him however my Young Nephilim sees his brother in chains and decides to put him out of his misery. The Young charges him dealing 2 Dmg on his first attack and spilling Black Blood on Santiago, he’s also triggered Blood Frenzy for a free attack which hits with the RJ but suffers the BJ on Dmg so with his second charge attack he finishes off his Enslaved brother who flips the BJ for his defence dealing 4 Dmg to the Enslaved Nephilim and more Black Blood on Santiago who annoyingly is now on 2 Wounds with HtK.

End of Turn Scores 8 – 2 (+1 Lilith Reconnoiter)

Start of Turn 5

Game%203%20-%20End%20of%20Turn%204.jpg

Turn 5 – Initiative goes to Lilith.

Lilith leads from the front once more and walks to get in range then charges Santiago slapping him for 3 Dmg which only deals 1 due to HtK, then she slaps him again triggering Bloody Fate and killing him so she draws a card and keeps it. Now that the Ortega crew is all dead my Young takes one of the ALiTS markers away denying a VP and we call it as the Tots haven’t moved and they guarantee me another VP.

End of Turn Scores 9 – 2 (+1 Lilith Reconnoiter)

Final Scores 9 – 2 to Lilith

End of Game

Game%203%20-%20End%20of%20Game.jpg

Lilith stood over Perdita’s near lifeless body with Alraune raised above her head ready to decapitate her hated foe. She began to bring the blade down but before she could deal the final blow the sound of giant leathery wings flapping distracted her. One of her eldest sons had come with a message.

“Mistress! It’s Barbaros, he has been injured! He’s mumbling about dead things walking our land! He makes no sense. The Shaman are worried!” The old creature grunted.

“That can wait my child… I have waited for this for a very… long… time.” Lilith said with a sinister smile across her lips. She raised the sword once more but as she did 3 shots rang out in the dark. One hit Alraune who flickered wildly with anger. One missed and planted itself into a nearby tree. The third however struck Lilith in the shoulder.

“I got her!” a voice cried out in the dark. Suddenly more shots came ringing through the trees blasting everything in the vicinity. The large Mature Nephilim grabbed Lilith and flew off into the dark shadows of the trees.

“Nooo!! Put me down! I must finish this!” Lilith screamed with blind rage. The Nephilim would not let her go, his only concern was saving his mother.

A few nights later Perdita woke up in a Guild infirmary. This was not the first time she had ended up in such an institution however rather than the usual staff and activity the ward was quiet. She was the only patient there, 9 other empty beds lined the room. She sat up to see Lucius sat on a chair at the end of her bed spinning his cane in his hands.

“Aaah Lady Ortega. I see you have recovered.” Lucius said.

“You sent us in there to die to bastard!” Perdita shouted, she instinctively reached out for her pistol but it was not in the holster which hung from the bed post.

“I thought you might react like this so I took the liberty of having your weapons removed from the room and your brothers taken into separate wards. However yes, you are right. We did send you into a trap. We needed to gauge the strength of our enemy.” Lucius said calmly.

“Why?!” Perdita asked trying to contain her anger.

“I don’t know, the Governor didn’t let me in on that particular detail. I’ll have your weapons returned to you soon. Get well.” Lucius said sarcastically as he stood and started to walk to the door.“Oh before I forget Lady Ortega. Here…” Lucius reached into his fine coat pockets and produced an envelope. He tossed it elegantly onto the end of Perdita’s bed.

“What is that?!” Perdita demanded.

“Why my dear, that is your next mission.” Lucius said as he left the room laughing.

After Games Thoughts – This was the first escalation point of the League and so I had some new toys to try out. This game was a dramatic improvement from my last opponent in the league. He was a lot more tactical. He had a game plan and he stuck with it. It probably would have worked had his luck been a lot better. He hammered the crap out of Lilith and his cards just failed him over and over again. He was a very good sport though and we really had a great game together. We both had some great laughs, especially with us both flipping the BJ on the same duel during Turn 2. His luck just couldn't beat mine on the night and he really got hammered by the new Nephilim in my crew. After the game I questioned his crew choices and told him I think he should have taken Trick Shooting on Perdita. He wanted to use the entire crew box and couldn't afford the upgrades he really wanted. This also gave him an excuse to try out a couple of new ones. All in all a really fun game and a nice change of pace.

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed the report and narrative. As usual if you have any comments or criticism please feel free to let me know. Apologies on the poor quality pics. I'm no photographer and the iPhone isn't the best way to document a game but it at least gives you an idea of what was going on. 

NEXT TIME – Lilith vs. Seamus! Pandora!

• Like 2

You are exactly right, I knew I was right, I even had the FAQ on me to prove I was right however the reaction I would have gotten was probably comparable to pouring petrol onto the fire. He was already at the point where he was spitting every profanity in the English language at me and so I decided to take the moral high road and just say "Yeah OK we'll do it that way, let's just carry on with the game shall we?" Looking back at it I do take a certain amount of satisfaction that I could keep my cool under the circumstances, I could have said some things at the time but lowering yourself to their level just makes things worse. Overall it was a negative experience and one I don't wish to repeat. Thankfully the rest of the gaming group are a lot more friendly and better at losing gracefully, especially now I'm a Henchman. They HAVE to respect my authority :D

The right thing to do is call a different person to be a referee or just give him a 10:0 and walk away from the table IMO. 

Last option is tell him to calm down because you will not play with him until he calms down.

The right thing to do is call a different person to be a referee or just give him a 10:0 and walk away from the table IMO. 

Last option is tell him to calm down because you will not play with him until he calms down.

I agree, under normal circumstances I would do that however most if not all of the guys in my league are beginners and being the resident henchman I'm the go to guy when it comes to rules disputes. I just wanted to get it over and done with at that point. When I played Perdita he was playing Ramos and he got utterly smashed but he wasn't nearly as aggressive. Maybe it was just me or maybe somebody has had words with him. I honestly couldn't say but he acted his age this time round so things are looking up! 

Well, I always say the best answer actually is just stomp them utterly because talk is cheap, but hey, I`m a bastard  :D

I do have a bit of a reputation when it comes to demo games. Somebody compared my demoing to clubing baby seals once. I'm also the resident wielder of the noob hammer at my club. I'm not that bad but I don't let them win. I'll put up a bit of a fight. At the end of the day nobody becomes a better player by having their opponent let them win! The challenge of beating a skilled opponent is where you grow as a player. 

Normally though it's on with the boots and stomp time all game long! You sound almost as bad as me though, I do play like a bastard a fair bit. zFiend can attest to this although he's just as bad when he wants to be :D

Of course demo games are a different pair of shoes. Its more about explaining and encouraging and probably even getting beaten. On the other hand guys that you demo don`t usually get frustrated and spit on stuff from anger :D

True that! We often joke about flipping the table when somebody gets angry with a game, I've actually seen somebody do it! 

See this is why you're a dick and I'm a nice guy. :P

The first time I played Lilith against your Ramos crew you were most definitely NOT a nice guy ya dick! :D

• 1 month later...

So it's that time of the month again and I've got another League Game under my belt. Unfortunately there was a problem with my Seamus opponent so I've had to postpone murdering Ressers for the moment. However, without further ado here is my latest game. 

Slow Grow League Game 4 – 35ss – A Battle of Biblical Proportions (Lilith vs. Pandora)

Flank Deployment – Turf War

ALiTS

Distract

Protect Territory

Cursed Object

Plant Explosives

Lilith -- 7 Pool

+Beckon Malifaux [1]

+Fears Given Form [1]

+Living Blade [2]

Cherub [3]

Barbaros [10]

+Obsidian Talons [1]

Terror Tot [4]

Terror Tot [4]

Young Nephilim [6]

Protect Territory (Revealed) & Cursed Object

VS.

Pandora -- 5 Pool

+Fears Given Form [1]

+Fugue State [2]

+The Box Opens [2]

Baby Kade [7]

Sorrow [5]

Sorrow [5]

Teddy [11]

Protect Territory (Revealed) & Plant Explosives

Lilith sat on a throne made of vines as she slowly plucked the last few scraps of flesh from the bones of her latest victims. She had always relished the taste of Ortega flesh and this time was no different. Earlier in the night one of her brood had discovered a small scouting party from the Guild looking to find their location. Her Tots got the jump on them and this had now provided a great feast for their brethren. Naturally being Queen and Mother of Malifaux she had the lion’s share of the kill.

The night grew late and the shadows long. Lilith was set to go out to stroll the land when an eerie green glow started to light the cave from outside. Something was approaching, Lilith feared not. Nothing that could threaten her had such a glow, she knew this was a native of her lands. A ghostly apparition appeared from the gloom, its glow faintly lighting the cave around her. The creature was roughly as tall as a man and in many ways it resembled a man, or at least a twisted shell of a man. It was slender in stature, its boney appendages lead to hands with elongated fingers tipped with razor sharp claws and there was a swirling mass of aether where its legs should have been. Many of the younglings ran in fear, hiding behind their mother or behind the nearest rock or tree root large enough to conceal them.

The apparition bowed cautiously and awaited permission to approach. Lilith beckoned it closer. The ghostly creature slowly glided across the cave.

“Mistress Lilith, I come bearing news from my Lady” The ghostly creature said with an echo to its voice.

“Well then, you’d better spit it out before I lose my temper! I have no patience for that woman!” Lilith growled.

“My Mistress has sent me to demand that you return what is rightfully hers…” The creature said

Lilith stood up immediately, rage filled her very being and she reached for the large bloodied sword which was resting against her throne. Before Lilith could utter a word the creature continued.

“She has instructed me to return with the item in question. She also asked me to relay a message. Should the item not be returned there will be consequenc…..” The creature started but before he could finish Lilith’s rage had peaked. There was a flicker of light as Lilith’s blade caught the creatures glow and then nothing. All was dark, all was silent, then, a shriek that would curdle the blood of a lesser being. Lilith had sliced the creature from head to toe. It continued to shriek in pain right up until its separate parts dissipated into the night air.“Barbaros!!! Get here now!” Lilith screamed.

Barbaros came rushing to Lilith’s side.

“We have a job to do my son. We need to teach that bitch Pandora a lesson in respect!” Lilith scowled.

Barbaros nodded and rushed off to gather his brothers and sisters.

Somewhere in the local vicinity a feint glow emerged as if from nowhere, the glow lit up the trees in the woods and revealed a slender, tall and beautiful women perched on a tree stump clutching an ornate box in one hand.

“So… What have you to tell me?” Pandora said with a calm yet terrifying voice.

“Lilith’s rage is as potent as ever Mistress but your plan worked. She is gathering her brood and coming for you as we speak.” The creature replied.

“That woman… all it takes is the slightest insult to set her off. Her tempter will be the death of her and I think a paradigm shift is just what we need. It’s time for a new Queen.” Pandora said with a smile on her blood red lips.

The ghostly form grinned viciously as Pandora opened her box where it’s energy was slowly siphoned inside. Pandora casually walked into the night to await her prey.

Game%204%20-%20Deployment.jpg

Turn 1 – Initiative goes to Pandora.

The game starts with some movement from Sorrow 1 who walks once and drops a marker. I almost immediately assume this is for Plant Explosives. The Young Nephilim walks twice towards to center but hides from the opposing crew to avoid any first turn charges. Sorrow 2 walks twice towards the center. Barbaros uses Nimble to move around the tree he deployed in then walks another 2 times to offer Lilith support in the event Teddy and Kade come looking for a party, he issues his Challenge and waits. Baby Kade walks to get LoS to Barbaros and tries to Lure him but fails, turns out Barbaros isn’t a fan of Babies. Tot 2 Sprints twice making a beeline my enemy’s edge of the board getting one Mask for sprinting. Pandora goes next only walking twice and then placing a marker. She wants to Incite somebody but can’t really see anything. Teddy walks towards Barbaros and Lilith but can’t really do anything else yet so takes Defensive Stance +1. The Cherub flies over to the Young and Barbaros (which later turns out to be a mistake on my part). With no activations left on his crew Lilith now activates and failed completely when trying to use Tangle Shadows on Teddy 3 times even after spending a stone in the process, utterly annoyed by this she separates Baby Kade and Teddy with an Illusionary Forest and the Turn Ends.

End of Turn Score 0-0

Game%204%20-%20Turn%202.jpg

Turn 2 – Initiative goes to Pandora (Red Joker Count: 1)

With initiative in his control my opponent decides to try and murder something with Teddy. It’s been a while since he’s played and kind of messes up Gobble You Up on Barbaros, it goes off but the push only moves him an inch as he is obstructed by the building in the center. It manages to recover as he is now within charge range and goes in for the kill. He attacks twice both hitting for 4 Damage but after Armour and SS Prevention on each attack leads to Barbaros only taking 2 Damage in Total. However, forgetting that the Cherub does not have Black Blood means that he takes 2 Damage from Barbaros’ Black Blood. (Whoops!). In retaliation Barbaros uses his Nimble to move closer to Teddy so he won’t bleed on the Cherub anymore. He then proceeds to slap around Teddy dealing 3 Damage and pushing him out of combat. Barbaros again issues his Challenge and takes a Defensive Stance. Sorrow 2 uses Misery Loves Company to jump to Teddy and places a scheme marker. The Cherub somewhat miffed that he’s now covered in blood uses Rise Up on Lilith then shoots Teddy dealing 1 Damage, Slow and pushing him 5” towards Lilith and the newly created Hazardous Terrain taking yet another 1 Damage. Sorrow 1 walks into the center and places yet another scheme marker (He’s definitely after Plant Explosives I thought to myself).

Lilith now activates and proceeds to utterly crush Teddy by smashing him twice for 3 damage a piece (would have been more but I forgot Teddy has Impossible to Wound making my Flay Trigger useless *Face Palm*) which is enough to kill him, she then casts Wicked Vines on Kade but the Baby is too fast for those Vines and it fails to root him. Kade kind of trapped between a rock and a severe place decided to walk through my Forest using both actions to clear it. My Young goes up and walks upto Sorrow 1 and gives him a Cursed Object for a (0) thanks to “Our Land” on the Cherub then attacks the Sorrow dealing 3 Damage and the Flush Out trigger to get him away from his Marker. Pandora goes next and walks twice, drops a marker then uses Incite on my Young triggering Mass Hysteria casting it again on the Cherub who takes 1 Damage from Misery. With nothing left in his crew my Tots both sprint. Tot 1 gets the Red Joker for one Sprint then the Black Joker for the other! Tot 2 gets no Masks for his sprint so decides enough is enough and places a marker which he sits on for the rest of the game. At the turns End as suspected my opponent declares Plant Explosives and bags himself 3 VP whilst I remove Cursed Object from the Sorrow for 1 VP. We both score for Turf War.

End of Turn Score 4-2 (+1 Lilith Turf War, +1 Lilith Cursed Object, +3 Pandora Plant Explosives, +1 Pandora Turf War)

Game%204%20-%20Turn%203.jpg

Turn 3 – Initiative goes to Pandora (Red Joker Count: 2)

Sorrow 2 starts the turn by using Misery Loves Company on Sorrow 1, then uses it again to jump to Barbaros. Wanting to activate Barbaros Pandora says nope and so it’s the Young’s turn, so with bugger all to do but maintain hold on the centre and not wanting to discard a card from my awesome hand my Young walks once to get some distance between himself and Pandora then Focuses. Kade charges Barbaros but misses his first attack which triggers Barbaros’ defensive Trigger Knock Aside, Kade suffers 2 Damage and is pushed away from the fight wasting his second attack. Once again as the Cherub has Mood Swings I‘m forced to activate him so I try the ol’ one-two punch with the Cherub so I use Rise Up on Lilith to give her the Hazardous Terrain Aura and then shoot Kade who flips poor cards for defence meaning he takes 1 Damage, Slow and is pushed into B2B with Lilith whilst also taking another 1 Damage from Hazardous Terrain.

Pandora walks once then tries to make some models Insignificant by using Nullify on both Barbaros and the Young but fails thanks to some high cards being cheated in. She decided to finish up by Inciting Barbaros which I let pass as I want to immediately activate him anyway. Barbaros takes 3 Damage from Misery auras which results in 3 Damage on the Sorrow from Black Blood which kills him. Barbaros then activates and Nimbles over to the other Sorrow, gives him a Cursed Object and then takes a Defensive Stance. The Sorrow tries to walk away and succeeds in disengaging then also successfully removes the Cursed Object. Lilith decides VP are more important than murder so she gives Baby Kade a Cursed Object, she then decided enough of this shit and goes right after Pandora by using Tangled Shadows, by all rights this should not have worked by at the right time Pandora flips the Black Joker and Lilith positions her between herself and some walls so she can’t escape with pushes. Lilith attacks but fails then attacks again but has all 3 damage prevented by one of Pandora’s SS. Still running around likes chickens on crack my Tots are up to the same, one Sprints then drops a Marker which he sits on for the rest of the game whilst the other just sits on his marker some more. End of the turn I remove Cursed Object from Kade for 1 VP and again we both score VP for Turf War.

End of Turn Scores 5-4 (+1 Lilith Turf War, +1 Lilith Cursed Object, +1 Pandora Turf War)

Game%204%20-%20Turn%204.jpg

Turn 4 – Initiative goes to Pandora (Red Joker Count: 3!)

After laughing with my opponent about his shocking luck with Initiative flips Pandora starts the turn by passing (barely!) her Fears Given Form check and proceeds to beat on Lilith. We both use SS for + flips and the first attack fails. The second attack does 3 damage, 1 is prevented but Lilith takes 1 Damage from Misery which in turn causes Lilith’s Black Blood to deal 2 Damage to Pandora. Pandora’s third attack also lands another 3 Damage on Lilith but it’s all prevented with my final SS but of course Misery triggers as does Black Blood so both Masters suffer 1 Damage. Lilith then retaliates passing both Terrifying and Fears Given Form at the cost of some high cards then proceeds to slap around Pandora. She misses with her first attack but lands 4 Damage on Pandora with her second but 2 is prevented. Realizing I need to get that 3rd VP for Cursed Object and that I’m within range of the Cherub I use one of my (0) actions to give Pandora a Cursed Object then fail to hit her again, Pandora uses her push to relocate after we both realize my plan to trap her wasn’t ironclad.

The remaining Sorrow comes to his Master’s aid by using Misery Loves Company on Lilith then misses with his attack. My Young wants to get out of dodge but fails his Disengaging Strike from Pandora so he takes Defensive Stance +1. Kade takes a Defensive Stance +1 with his only Action due to slow from last turn. The Cherub still not quite happy that he’s not the most psychotic baby around focuses then shoots Kade who really doesn’t want a Black Joker but flips one anyway. Kade suffers 1 Damage, Slow and is pushed right up to Barbaros who immediately activates and stomps Kade into the dirt with one attack. Barbaros repositions with his remaining actions. End of the turn and I remove Cursed Object from Pandora for my 3rd VP and once again we both score for Turf War.

End of Turn Scores 6-6 (+1 Lilith Turf War, +1 Lilith Cursed Object, +1 Pandora Turf War)

Game%204%20-%20Turn%205.jpg

Turn 5 – Initiative goes to Lilith (AT LONG LAST!)

Lilith leads the charge and proceeds to beat on Pandora landing one attack out of three but makes it count by using Flay to drop 4 Damage on Pandora. Well shit, she’s still alive. Pandora activates and then proceeds to batter Lilith senseless with her own sword. 2 Attacks later and Lilith is down for the count so Pandora places a scheme Marker hoping to grab some VP for Protect Territory. Seeing Lilith die and now being the most psychotic baby on the battlefield the Cherub performs once again by focusing and shooting the Sorrow killing him outright. He only had one wound but don’t take that away from the poor lil’ Cherub. This denies Pandora any further points from Turf War and seals her fate as loser of the game. However as there are some activations left and the Nephilm have just watched Pandora batter Lilith they want some vengeance so Barbaros charges Pandora… Well… He tries but fails his Terrifying and becomes paralyzed. So it comes down to my Young Nephilim to save the day, he walks, passes his Terrifying and nails Pandora for 5 Damage utterly over-killing her! YES! With that only the Tots are left so to go and I've tabled Pandora’s crew so we call it quits. At the end of the turn I score my final point for Turf War. At the end of the Game I've also still got my Tots camping in the woods with 2 Markers so I net 3 VP for Protect Territory.

End of Turn Scores 7-6 (+1 Lilith Turf War)

Final Scores 10-6 to Lilith (+3 Lilith Protect Territory)

Game%204%20-%20End%20of%20Game.jpg

Lilith crawled up against a nearby wall and watched as one of her sons proceeded to tear through Pandora’s ribcage.

“That is why they call me the Queen you obnoxious wench!” Lilith laughed maniacally into the night. Barbaros came over to Lilith who was still clutching Alraune so tightly it made her already pale skin go white at the knuckles. Alraune who has had his fair share of blood and was resting peacefully. Barbaros helped Lilith to her feet with a little bit of a struggle.

“Take me to her, I want her head” Lilith ordered.

The Young who had been feasting on the corpse quickly fled into the night with a welp. As Lilith approached the corpse and the pooling blood still pouring out of it an eerie green light bathed the body.

“Oh no…” Barbaros thought to himself.

Once the light had faded it revealed the mangled body of a young woman. There was nothing particularly special about her, she was perfectly average . The most distinguishing feature about her was the Guild Uniform she was wearing. Pandora had tricked them.

“Pandora you sneaky bitch! You will pay for this you insolent scum! I will have your head!” Lilith screamed into the night.

Barbaros backed off a little. He knew all too well that Lilith becomes extremely unpredictable when she got like this and it wasn’t often her rage became so volatile she became blinded by it. The last time Lilith was this angry she had killed over half her brood and it took both Nekima and himself to stop her.

“Mother! Please, we need to get you back to our nest. You are seriously wounded” Barbaros pleaded with no regard for his own safety.

Lilith turned and struck Barbaros across the face with the back of her fist. He didn’t flinch nor make a sound. He took the blow to his face and blankly stared at Lilith.

“Mother…”

Lilith’s anger calmed for a brief moment and she turned to Barbaros.

“You are a good son Barbaros. Come, we are leaving but mark my words. We will have that bitches head before the years end. Call in the Shaman, we have work to do. Oh and bring that body back with you, the Children will be hungry” Lilith barked at him.

After Games Thoughts – This game started of horribly for me when I discovered Barbaros’ arm had snapped off and both my Young had snapped of their bases. I started this game in a pretty bad mood. Thankfully my opponent was my good friend Dan and whilst we played the game he managed to cheer me up. We've played many times against each other in the past this was a really close and really fun game like usual. I was on the back foot very early on and spent the entire game clawing back points. Turn 5 is what sealed the deal for me. We both made some mistakes along the way and we both learnt a lot about each other’s crews. I think we both played as well as we could have done bearing in mind we are both fairly new to Neverborn. This was by far the most fun game in the league to date and I’m looking forward to adding a Black Blood Shaman into my crew next month when we escalate to 40ss.

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed the report and narrative. As usual if you have any comments or criticism please feel free to let me know.

NEXT TIME – Lilith vs. Seamus!

• Like 1

Great read again. Keep em coming.

Thanks! Ask and you shall receive! We're just under half way through the League so there should be at least another 5 or 6 games to go. I'm not sure who I'm playing in next months league game. I haven't arranged anything yet however there are a bunch of people I've yet to play. 2x Seamus, Ophelia and Som'er, Ramos, McCabe just to name a few so there should be some interesting games coming up.