Where to start with Malifaux

Calladineapel

Hi all.

Well I've decided I want to start playing Malifaux I like the idea of the skirmish, How do you get started, There are some lovely minatures available. But Are there any players near me In Nottingham Uk? How do you decide which armies to buy... sorry for sounding noobish but some help would be a start.

Many thanks 

Andy

• Like 1

Someone else will have to help you with players near you.

There are several ways to get started and you'll have to choose what works for you.

If there is an active player community near you going in for a demo day is a good start.   Or if you can simply find someone (ask around for a Henchman) to walk you through a basic starter game that's good too.

For me selecting a starting crew was best managed by reading the model descriptions in the big rule book (and now Crossroads).   Everyone has their favorite master/faction and the only wrong choice is a master/faction you personally don't enjoy playing.  For me it was hard to sort through all the online chatter from faction acolytes to determine which faction was best for me--hence the books.

Once you have narrowed down your choice make sure one or more of your choices is currently in stock.  The one downside of this game is that as a small company Wyrd has struggled to get manufacturing organized so that a broad range of models are regularly available.  But there are enough that you should be able to find something you like that is easily available.  

Buy models, assemble, paint, play.  (Once you have a first and second master picked out, many folks on the forums will be able to help you select models to build out crews for those masters.  And, yes, nobody can pick just one, so just surrender now and plan on two masters.)

Your initial purchase should include:

Either the small or large rule book depending on your budget and desire to read the model descriptions and/or fluff.  

A crew box for your preferred first master.

A box of models to build out your first crew.

Something to use for counters, soulstones, etc.  These can be dice, beads, decorative stones, or specially manufactures items depending on your tastes and budget.  

30mm counters/markers are frequently used and a box or two of 30mm bases will work really well to get you going.

If you don't already own some paints, brushes, glue, etc. you'll want some.

Most will strongly recommend a fate deck with the Malifaux suits printed on them. You can use a regular deck of playing cards but it is a pain, so count me among those who recommend the deck. Well worth the additional cost.

If you are using an older (metal) box set you'll probably want an arsenal deck, although if your budget is constrained you can make cards by hand copying the text from the large rule book and/or Crossroads books.    

From there you have tons of options depending on your budget and preferences.   

I fell like I am forgetting something, but I can't think of what it is.  Oh well, whatever it is, someone else will surely point it out before too much longer.

I was a little bit amazed to be the first responder to this post, then I remembered that there are a couple of large Malifaux tournaments this weekend so the normal crowd isn't around in full force to answer your question.  I expect you'll get more replies on Monday when folks have had a chance to recover a bit.

• Like 2

That's all pretty good advice. Not much to add from my side. I recall someone asking around about players in Nottingham. The UK scene is pretty large, I reckon, so I think you might find someone to teach you the game.

If you have specific questions, the community will gladly help you, but if you ask general questions, chances are you will get very general answers, or too varied ones. Paradoxstorm's advice is pretty much spot on.

I fell like I am forgetting something, but I can't think of what it is.  Oh well, whatever it is, someone else will surely point it out before too much longer.

Sooner or later, you will find THIS extremely helpful. It's a wiki by fans. It's somewhat heavy on slang, and wiki-typically swingy in depth, but there's a lot of helpful content there.

Edited by Dirial
  • Like 1

We all have our strengths. That's what makes a community. I, for one, will probably never be a strategy guru either.

No chance of me being a strategic guru.  I can hardly even remember my name let alone a crew and what they do.

I am merely here for the laughs.  Which usually come at my expense.

Hi - I'm new to Malifaux too, and found Paradox's post really helpful.
I had a follow-up question - Paradox mentioned having two masters, and I completely understand why given how awesome so many of them are.  But would you recommend going with two masters of the same faction at least?  Or do more people go with masters in different factions for more variety?

I would probably recommend two masters from the same faction if you are just starting out simply to expand the pool of models you could use.

However, if you are planning on down the line having several factions represented then it doesn't really matter.  You may just find that the boxes alone throw up some mismatched crews in terms of soulstone costs and effectiveness.

Ultimately go with the crews you like.

That is why I have something like 18 or 19 of them now.  Across all factions.

Also, as so many masters are dual-faction, expanding from one faction to several is almost inevitable if you collect long enough, but when you do it doesn't feel like you're betraying* your old faction. The lines between and within factions seem to be relatively loose. For example Ramos is almost a sub-faction of his own, Zoraida and Levi can hire in shed-loads of models from other factions, Hoffman and constructs etc.

*did I really just write that?

I for one am trying to stay on the one faction path. Not because it has significant advantages outside of tournament play, but because I'm a glutton, and I need some way to restrain my buying habits.

In general, you will have an easier time if the first two Masters are from the same faction, as it's easier to combine the crews.