Peon for Encounter purposes (gaining grounds '15)

Kogan Style

Question

Hi all,

I'm interested in finding out how conditions that affect a model's level for encounter purposes affect the new Gaining grounds strategies.

e.g: Collect the Bounty

Sybelle's Death mark trigger: I hit the Master and cause this trigger to go off - turning the model into a Peon for encounter purposes and disabling interacts. If I then kill this Master, Is it worth 4 points for the strategy (as a Master) or 0 (as a Peon)

Similar thing with Headhunter: I kill the Master, does it drop a head (as a Master) or not (as a Peon) 

17 answers to this question

As in your other thread I think RAW they would not count for the strategies because it specifically states 'for Encounter purposes' but I think we'll see it FAQ'd pretty damn sharp.  Having said that I think that even FAQ's have a specific period before they become tournament legal so for now we might be able to get away with it!

My only query would be when to conditions end?  Would you be a Peon for Encounter purposes but lose that condition as you die and therefore become a Minion/Enforcer/Master again upon death (and if so which order do these happen!)?

Firstly.

Just because a model is a peon DOES NOT mean it is unable to interact. Insignificant is the thing that prevents this.

As to your question. No idea.

I'm aware of that - the trigger specifically states the model may not take interact actions. The model has the condition until the end of the game, so there is no safety in death I assume. 

As in your other thread I think RAW they would not count for the strategies because it specifically states 'for Encounter purposes' but I think we'll see it FAQ'd pretty damn sharp.  Having said that I think that even FAQ's have a specific period before they become tournament legal so for now we might be able to get away with it!

My only query would be when to conditions end?  Would you be a Peon for Encounter purposes but lose that condition as you die and therefore become a Minion/Enforcer/Master again upon death (and if so which order do these happen!)?

I don't see this as being game breaking. There aren't many models that can turn other models into peons, so them gaining a small bonus of gettign abonus doing it to theri own side is probably not that problematic.  

And Aus, I think death Mark both turns you into a peon, and disables interacts.

So there are down sides to doing it to your own crew.

You don't end conditions upon death. You have it when you die.

FAQ'S are official as soon as they are released. Why wouldn't they be?

Gaining Grounds rules state 'When new documents are published they come into effect for events held two weeks (14 calendar days) after their publication' though upon closer reading it does state that the most recent FAQ is used so I'm guessing that refers to other documents (though I'm not sure what they would be)?

And thanks for the clarification on conditions.

Am I missing something here?

The rule says you become a peon for encounter purposes, therefore for Headhunter and Collect the Bounty the model is a Peon. IE doesn't drop heads or score bounty points.

The rule seems perfectly clear to me.

This. Don't turn opponent's models into peons if you don't want them to be peons.

It might actually be a good idea to turn some of your own models into peons.

• Like 1

The intent of the question is about turning your own models into Peons.  Seems like it could be an awfully good (perhaps too good?) way to deny your opponents VPs.  If you do it to your opponents models you deserve to lose the VPs!

Well, the OP talks about turning a master into peon and then killing it himself.

Yes, my intention is to turn my own models into Peons and then not worry about them dying.

I was merely broadening the question/option to include if someone used Sybelle to hit the opposing master and declared the trigger by mistake (as its inbuilt)

Even if it's in-built you don't have to declare it dude.  Trigger's are always optional unless they specify (i.e. Gremlins, Nurses etc.).