Wyrd Chronicles 16

Lucidicide

I assume they are all standing on the centreline (there is a very faint line in the image) and that the measurements are from the edges (so there is like 26" between Monty and Jack).

Yeah, as you mention it now I can see that in zoom in mode. Still the graphics are quite hazy. For example the 3" over Montresor looks much bigger than the one over the Ice Golem. I'm really uncertain about the interpretation of distances and model position. It's a pity since I find the idea of puzzles brilliant. Hope for a better execution next time.

Do not make another game. Malifaux has been in beta since its 2nd ed launch. I'm sorry but the more work going into other games is really hurting the main game. Fix the main game before going into other pointless games

All not-dead minis games are in beta forever and ever since there are always supplements in the pipe line. Malifaux differs in that it has used the open beta concept but I'm not sure how anyone could see that as a negative.
  • Like 7

Do not make another game. Malifaux has been in beta since its 2nd ed launch. I'm sorry but the more work going into other games is really hurting the main game. Fix the main game before going into other pointless games

Have to echo Math and Aaron, I just don't see what you mean. The game is in a very solid place, we are only testing the new crop of toys and frankly, Malifaux is reaching a bit of a critical mass problem right now, so would be well served with some downtime to get other projects going while the community keeps experimenting with the game which is still full of thinks to try. Hell, I'm choking on crews that I want to try and play with.

• Like 2

It seems that every time Wyrd (or any other company for that matter) suggests they're working on a new game (In this case, NativeAmericanSnakeMonster... it's totally the name), there's a part of the community that would rather they concentrate all their efforts on their existing game/s. It's been brought up with Puppet Wars, Showdown and basically every other game Wyrd's released after Malifaux. 

It's not an unreasonable suggestion to make, but it's one that's based on an assumption that making a new game takes resources away from the existing ones. Fact is, resources within a company don't always transfer that easily. If an artist has no more Wyrd models to draw then he can't exactly fly to China and make Brewmaster moulds. He can, however, start making pretty illustrations for NativeAmericanSnakeMonster. 

I have have almost no idea about the inner workings of Wyrd and how their development and production teams are organised. But Eric and Nathan are smart guys (or at the very least, semi-intelligent ;) ). I'd be surprised if they had decided to develop NativeAmericanSnakeMonster if it was going to delay any aspect of Malifaux - their flagship product and (I assume) their main money earner. 

• Like 6

I would just like to say that although I was disappointed with the fact that I wasn't going to get to use that picture to write some Snake-Tyrant fluff piece that I in no way think it is a bad thing for Wyrd to be making new games. I also do not think that it detracts in any way and if anyone thought that my statement was made in this direction I will be the first to apologize.

Taking a break from your "main" focus is usually a good thing. You get a new perspective on it from working on a side project. You get to see what happens when current material becomes used more frequently instead of people just moving on to the newest.

Take League of Legends, there was a time when a new champion was released every two weeks without fail for at least a few months. I mean yeah it was exciting, and crazy, and you were never "bored" but after a while it just became too much, too fast.

In closing, Wyrd hasn't let us down yet with any decision they have decided to make, don't plinko them into the fail-chute so easily.

As always,

The Grue

• Like 1

I would also like to agree with Razhem and Rathnard. Also would like to add that I think that if there is any problem in Malifaux atm (rules wise) its that the game is being updated too much. A new book every year is quite a lot to get a handle on (especially since there is such a backlog to be produced models-wise). Think getting some other games going is a cool idea that won't affect Malifaux at all. 

NativeAmericanSnakeMonster might be a new snakes and ladders game. It's going to be about stacking snakes on ladders. It's for up to four players and each player gets four sets of snakes and ladders. Once the players are finished with stacking they let a marble run down the snakes backs and it has to hit a bell on the bottom without falling off the construction... :D

• Like 2

I'm glad to see that we have individual threads of an "official nature" in order to discuss the new Chronicles... I was going to mention something but Aaron started it with Chronicles 15 and I hope it continues.

Good all around - just one thing - i expect all Malifaux stories to end in misery and despair... otherwise its like a Tales From the Crypt that doesn't end in a Just Deserts... its not right. ;)

I want the creative minds at Wyrd to make new awesome games that I might like. Because when you make a new game, you're not stifled creatively. New ideas strengthen the imagination, and keep it from being stale.

Opening new vistas might open them to new ideas in Malifaux, too. Creative conversations/collaborations work that way.

• Like 2

While the art for NASM was nice, my personal favourite was the painting article. It was a good read, pretty to look at, and (knowing how much work goes into those kinds of articles) I'd like to publicly thank dgraz for his sterling efforts.

<Blush> Thanks brother. You're still the man.

• Like 1

Regarding NASM, it looks like the footprints at the bottom might correspond to factions.  Since the prints aren't scaled or super detailed it's hard to tell exactly what they are, but my guesses are (from left to right):

Raven or Crow

Bison; while bison hoofprints usually look a bit rounder than this one, the toe isn't as narrow as deer or elk.

Fox

Eagle

Wolf or Coyote

Bear

Based on this collection of animals, the rattlesnake monster, the figure in the foreground, and the landscape, it looks like it will most likely based on the American west (albeit Wyrded out, of course).  Great to see the design team working on new projects!

NASM seems more like a boardgame to me right of the bat, but that's just a random estimate on my part as good as any other. I'd hope if Wyrd went full gung ho into another miniature game it would be a much more different theme aestheticwise, Malifaux already has a ton of "western". It could also be one of those outside of Wyrd colab projects like Jetpack Unicorn.

Then I must have misunderstood something. I have a hard time figuring out how to properly connect the measurements with the models' position. I also don't see where is the centerline and where it connects the sidelines - in addition I can only guess that there is not a single Scheme Marker laid down to achieve ALITS yet. Also it is Reckoning but there is no mention about previously killed enemy models in this final round. So I just gave up without starting to solve it. :)

When I submitted the puzzle, I sent a Vassal screenshot.  They must have shrunk and condensed things a bit to make it fit onto the magazine page - the centerline runs through the center of all the models shown.  Next time I submit one, I'll make sure to include description of the model positions in the blurb about the scenario.

For the Reckoning point, it doesn't matter whether there are any previous models killed, since the Ice Golem is your opponent's last model ;)

If anyone wants the solution, PM me and I'd be happy to send it to you! Here's the original image for anyone interested:

Malifaux%202eMapmodified_zpsfy9e1glx.png

• Like 2

When I submitted the puzzle, I sent a Vassal screenshot.  They must have shrunk and condensed things a bit to make it fit onto the magazine page - the centerline runs through the center of all the models shown.  Next time I submit one, I'll make sure to include description of the model positions in the blurb about the scenario.

For the Reckoning point, it doesn't matter whether there are any previous models killed, since the Ice Golem is your opponent's last model ;)

Fair point but still this piece of information was not in the description. Of course you can assume that there are no more models left but in case of puzzles you should give all the necessary information in order to avoid confusion.

Thanks for the real map this is much clearer and I imagined this kind of position when seeing the stuff on the Chronicles. However the measurements are still dubious. The Drowned is on a 30 mm base which is much wider than 1" but on the map it looks as if the base would be a hair smaller than 1". That was one of my problems when I started to interpret the simplified picture.

The other was whether I can place Jack on the other side of the Ice Golem to be on the centerline or not. Which is a clear thing now although the scale problems are here too since the Ice Golem's 50mm base is almost 2" but the map suggests that you could even place another large base model between the Golem and the sideline. Which is obviously impossible if it is a 3" wide area.

PS: Also I don't know what difficulty 3 would actually like to mean. Is it on a 1-5 or 1-10 scale, or something else?