Agents of the Brushes (Sensei Yu Tutorial Pg 4.)

That's a spectacular paintjob, the armor looks realistic and the skin tone is perfect.

Thanks! We did a little research looking for a scheme that looked realistic; I'm glad that it ended working well on the miniature!

Any updates on the 10T progress guys?

Not much, sadly. Sensei Yu and Shenlong are still waiting for their tatoos but, at least, the two peasants and the two Mccabes are in their base colors. Altought, at the end of this month, the two peasants and the two Katanaka Snipers should be done; I hope I can get an update soon!

Nb9WCej.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

May I ask, what you use to paint the skin?

Sure, here is the recipe: 

• Base coat: Sunny Skin Tone (70845)
  • First shadow: Brown Sand (70876)
  • Second shadow: Brown Sand (70876) + Flat Earth (70893)
  • Third shadow: [Brown Sand (70876) + Flat Earth (70893)] + [Chocolat Brown (70872) + (very little) Black (70950)]
  • First light: Sunny Skin Tone (70845) + Basic Skintone (70815)
  • Tones: Calvary Brown (70982) 
  • Second light: Basic Skintone (70815)
  • Third light: Basic Skintone (70815) + Ivory (70918)
  • Highlight: Ivory (70918)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

The Lilliths look is just terrific, never seen her painted so clear and detailed. Her sculpt detailing is a bit on the soft side making her hard to paint. Say, do you use any sort of magnifying glasses\goolges\visors? My eyesight is 100% but I cant imagine how this level of detailing could be achieved, not to speak about techique itself.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Vic_bull said:

The Lilliths look is just terrific, never seen her painted so clear and detailed. Her sculpt detailing is a bit on the soft side making her hard to paint. Say, do you use any sort of magnifying glasses\goolges\visors? My eyesight is 100% but I cant imagine how this level of detailing could be achieved, not to speak about techique itself.

No, we don't use anything special, but we paint with a very bright (and cold) light. It's the paint itself what allows you to see the detail; if you paint thin enough the details looks more clear to the bare eye. (Tbh, Lady Agent, who is the one that paints the highlights, has not the better eyesight and she manages to do it :D)

27 minutes ago, Tawg said:

Under Lilith's feet, and a good handful of the others, what is it you were using for the slate stone slabs?  Just curious, it looks rather thin.  Is it just a putty cured and broken up?

It's pine bark; we cut them and use the chips (?) to do the stones. The paint works really nice on them because they are not smooth.   

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 13.12.2015 at 8:51 PM, Agent of the Breach said:

Sure, here is the recipe: 

• Base coat: Sunny Skin Tone (70845)
  • First shadow: Brown Sand (70876)
  • Second shadow: Brown Sand (70876) + Flat Earth (70893)
  • Third shadow: [Brown Sand (70876) + Flat Earth (70893)] + [Chocolat Brown (70872) + (very little) Black (70950)]
  • First light: Sunny Skin Tone (70845) + Basic Skintone (70815)
  • Tones: Calvary Brown (70982) 
  • Second light: Basic Skintone (70815)
  • Third light: Basic Skintone (70815) + Ivory (70918)
  • Highlight: Ivory (70918)

Wow you guys are absolutely brilliant. I really really like your work. 
I hope there is no problem asking you for some additional info to your "skin recipe"...What do you mean by first, second, third shadow/light? 

Thank you very much