Suggestions for Wyrd's Gen Con 2015 Events and Activities

CaseyJ

Hi everyone. Wyrd's really looking forward to Gen Con 2015, and we'd like to know if there are any event suggestions you'd like to give us. Any suggestions and feedback are welcome.

Our typical events schedule is

• Malifaux Demos - 1 hr - about 8 per day
  • Board and Card Game Demos - 1 hr - about 8 per day
  • Malifaux Tournaments
    • 2 Story Encounter
    • 2 Avatar Qualifier
    • 1 Avatar (Final)
  • Malifaux Achievement League
  • Through the Breach RPG (new in 2014)
    • 3-4 hr event
    • 3-day campaign

Additional Activities

• Wyrd CosPlay Contest
  • Coloring Contest
  • Speed Painting Events (through MHE)
  • Like 3

I hope these are valid recommendations and are the type of things you're looking for. If not just let me know.

1. Terrain that meets the standard terrain rules requirements. What I mean is there was just not enough terrain on each table last year. We were setup next to the Infinity area and they use some of their official terrain companies terrain to fill up their tables (Warsenal, MicroArts Studio, etc.). Can we make sure that at a minimum we have terrain that truly represents the diverse and dynamic terrain rules that Malifaux offers as an integral part of game play? In years prior to 2014 the terrain was phenomenal, and was one of the reasons I bought into Malifaux in 2011 when I first got into it. I for one would love to see tables that have enough terrain, but would really be excited to see some of the custom tables we get at Adepticon, and finally, I think PlastCraft would be a great way to fill up the tables. Obviously, it would have to be painted, etc. but there are 7 months between now and Gencon.
  2. Following of the official Gaining Grounds rules during the Gaining Grounds event is something I'd like to see. Last year the rules were not exactly what GG is, and seeing as though its Wyrd's officially run tournament I'd like to see it run the event exactly as it has been released. For example the fact we had to declare masters before list building was really off putting.
  3. More than just 2 Qualifiers. The issue is that the qualifiers are smack dab in the middle of other events that people want to attend, with Gencon being so large, I'd love to see more qualifier chances so people can attend them and not miss out on other stuff.

Thanks for being proactive and asking this now, I'm sure I can think of a few other things, but for now these are things I remember from last year that could be improved upon.

• Like 6

I'll second the more / better terrain.  If there's any help needed in that regard, I'm sure others can try to assist like with Adepticon.  "We" just need to know in advance to try to coordinate it.

A third qualifier would be nice, if possible.  I worry that some people will just sign-up for every qualifier and lead to a limited number of people for Avatars but I don't know if there's anything to stop that.

The finals match should be in the main event hall like usual, but please make sure that the game terrain is setup for a competitive match based on strat/schemes.  I heard from others last year that while the table was beautiful, it wasn't very functional to play the game competitively on.

(@PFalcon83 - Personally, I didn't experience the declare Masters first issue last year.  We just did straight GG2014 rules for the matches I played)

Love the Speed Painting MHE events.  Keep those definitely!

Last year I got a lot of walk-by interest when I was just painting some random models at the front of the event hall area.  Could we have a mini-hobby/painting space in the event hall to draw people in and promote the miniatures?

• Like 3

Terrain - better terrain is a valid point. If anyone has specific suggestions (after all, you know better than me what works in a tournament setting), send me a message about it, and I'll get back to you.

Tournaments - We had space remaining for all of the tournaments last year. Running them is a huge investment for us, so I'm not sure it makes sense to add more. Perhaps details about the tournaments could be improved - time, type, etc.

• Like 2

I'd love to come to GenCon, but sadly it's not within my budget!

If I WERE there though, I always enjoy painting demos, kit-bashing contests (could work great with the new multi-part models?) and intro-style events for newcomers.

If you want anything painting, let me know :D (genuine offer)

• Like 1

Hype is key!

Gencon is wyrds flagship convention. It's when new things are coming out. It'd when wyrd shows the industry they make the best game on the market.

The tournaments this year will better match that standard.

To that end.

I'd recommend a grand finals composed of top players from the previous convention events in the avatar finals.

The finals being single elimination as there can be only 1.

A traditional gg qualifer this event would put top X number of players into the finals.

Some different format events that would put the winner in from each into the finals.

These could be anything from hardcore format to a story encounter. But winning the event gets you in the finals.

Finals winner earns a spot at the national championship at the nova open.

• Like 3

Hype is key!

Gencon is wyrds flagship convention. It's when new things are coming out. It'd when wyrd shows the industry they make the best game on the market.

The tournaments this year will better match that standard.

To that end.

I'd recommend a grand finals composed of top players from the previous convention events in the avatar finals.

The finals being single elimination as there can be only 1.

A traditional gg qualifer this event would put top X number of players into the finals.

Some different format events that would put the winner in from each into the finals.

These could be anything from hardcore format to a story encounter. But winning the event gets you in the finals.

Finals winner earns a spot at the national championship at the nova open.

One VERY important thing to note is that Sunday is a travel day for a lot of people. Many people miss out on any of the 'end' events. Can I suggest we do the finale Saturday night?

Sunday be a Story encounter or something shorter, like the Henchman or Enforcer only games?

• Like 1

I do too like the idea if it was possible to run qualifier events earlier and Avatars on Sat, with Story Encounter Sunday. Maybe something like...

Thurs afternoon Qualifier 1 with top X qualifying

Thursday late small format event with winner qualifying

Friday afternoon Qualifier 2 with top X qualifying

Friday late some other small format with winner qualifying

Saturday Avatars

Story Encounter / Fun event

What about bringing back a beginner tournament for the first Thursday night event? Still gaining grounds 2015 but smaller SS crews and only newer players. One Gencon long ago that's how I got started on Malifaix tournaments. Maybe even losen the painting requirements for it? Kind of like a Young Guns event. No heavy experienced players allowed, or if they do want to play they should just be there for fun.

Other thought is throw in a puppets wars fun 1v1v1 match event either Sunday or Sat as Avatars is going on.

Having a hardcore or enforcer brawl to get in the finals would be a wash I would say.

Every one else is playing 50ss battling out going for the gold for hours.

Enforcer brawl or hardcore 30minutes maybe 1hr. Also not 50ss. So how is it fair. Also not the most balanced way to play the game.

So what about a team tournament or some jazz. That would be a funny final. 2v1 lol.

The idea with the multiple format entry, is that the finals will be in the standard format. As a result of playing the longer format Gaining grounds, you have more chances to get in, top 4 would go in, as opposed to the alternative formats only generating a single winner with chance to get into the finals were there playing a standard game. Gencon is a unique beast in that most that go to it have a full plate of options and being locked into an all day tournament isn't what people tend to go to gencon for. The idea of the smaller faster formats allowing entry is to one frankly up attendance at them and allow flexibility to people making schedules that want some malifaux play but can't commit to a 8hr block of there day. But for those that do take the longer block Gaining grounds, you have a larger chance of qualifying say we hit a the 32 player cap the top 4/32 is a far better chance than 1/32 in a hardcore, or enforcer brawl. 

This multiple format winners coming into a single finals isn't unique many other hallmark competitive systems use it. You've gotta win to get in, and once your in you've gotta climb the mountain in the standard 50ss format even if what you won was an alternative format. 

• Like 2

I for one love the idea of multiple format qualifier. It's a great way for Gencon attendees to diversify what we schedule. Typically I've only done 1 Wyrd event at Gencon because it conflicts with other things.

This way I can do more.

Also I am confident that these other events still show strengths of a Malifaux player if you do well in them.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Having recently come out with standardized rules for some alternate tournament formats (ie Henchman Hardcore, Enforcer Brawl) I think it would be cool to run a short tourney of one of those formats at an off time, such as after the vendor floor has closed, similar to the "Hang out with the Wyrd team" event you all had one evening last year. That would allow for more participants who might not be able to commit to the longer tournaments during the day. Henchman Hardcore is also an excellent way to introduce new players to the game; I will be coming with a good friend who I see very rarely (living 17 hours apart will cause that) and who doesn't play Malifaux, so I don't want to ditch him during the day to go play in a big tournament, but something like Henchman Hardcore or and Enforcer Brawl would be a really cool way to get some players who have never played before hooked into the game.

Ultimately the purpose of having a presence at Gen Con is to expose people who have never heard of Malifaux to this game and hopefully convert them into players. Having an off hours, easy going, small format tourney event is a really cool way to hook in new players. Doing it on Friday or Saturday would give time to spread the word about the event and then allow the new players to hit up the Wyrd booth and buy their first crew.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm posting this more as a personal thing since 1) I'm in this boat, 2) I'm planning to go to GenCon and 3) I think it would be a good idea/nice:

I currently have no local stores where there is Malifaux play (by local, I mean within an hour's drive that has regular Malifaux players doing stuff) and I have zero experience playing other than GenCon demo games (which is what got me into this mess in the first place, so good on you all!)

Would it be possible to have tables set up with scenery suitable for walk-up Malifaux gaming, preferably with staff/experienced player support on hand? Although I'm still working on getting at least one of my several in-progress crews finished, I think surely I'll have at least one done and playable by the time GenCon rolls around. Assuming the local scene doesn't improve and I get tired of playing with myself (ha!) or potentially members of my family, would there be ready-to-roll tables for "utter noob" pick-up games?

I'm certainly not going to enter a tournament just to be eaten alive, but I'd also like to play with gamers other than people I live with.

Does this sound like something Wyrd could have do-able at GenCon? A noob-friendly setup for those with limited experience who'd like to play "for reals" and simply can show up with crews and cards ready to roll?

First of all. YES. This idea is the bread and butter of Malifaux. Wyrd and it's player base is traditionally very welcoming.

Now with That said. Gencon is crazy...getting in pick up games can be tough but you've taken the first (and most) important step.

I'll be around and if you want a game just PM me and I'll send you my cell.

Otherwise. Come by the wyrd booth or the tourney area and there are always people to play with. Last year We had a Google hang out and Twitter to coordinate meetings. That's the way to do it.

See you there.

• Like 1

Also, every year, there have been events like speed dating and other learning events that help to get a feel for the factions and masters and how they play. But peregrinefalcon is correct. There is always potential for pick up games. Get on the twitter and Google hangout feeds around gencon.

I didn't make it last year, but year before last there was a fantastic achievement league, and story encounters that made it very easy to get a lot of games in without the pressure of a tournament.

They had an achievement league last year too. I didn't end up participating due to overbooking myself on other events, but definitely something that I hope to participate in this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Does Gen Con have a "best appearence" or some other kind of painting award for Avatars? I'd like to see more incentive directed towards the hobby aspect of this game! Perhaps even a little table set up near the judge's table where we might put displays for onlookers? Thanks.

Also, I'd love to see a HH or Brawl League going on but I'm not sold on the multiple format qualifiers idea. A trophy/plaque for the HH or Brawl league winners would be great though. :)

I'm a sucker for trophies. I don't care about prizes just give me that damn trophy! >8)

• 1 month later...