In Defense of Innocence - First Reactions

Lucidicide

I haven't had a chance to read through all of it yet, but my initial impression after a quick skim:

The formatting continues to be good.

I like the option for fate tie-ins present throughout the story.

The complications in the back are nice optional goodies.

The new advanced pursuit is pretty sweet, and I'll definitely be sharing it with my current play group.

I like the variety of characters provided.  The Soulstone Behemoth is a BEAST.

I look forward to actually reading through the PDF.

• Like 1

From the skim I had this morning at work reading through it. I really liked it. It was a lot more than I thought we were getting and it made the wait worth it.

Looks quite thorough and a good resource for Fatematers even if they dont run that story as you can use certain plot points and hooks in stories of your own devising.

Omg dat gatling gun artwork!! Also hannibal crow seems a lot like the guy that's running the train line on hell on wheels, Also I want to draw whiskers on Professor Wickers face and rename him to professor whiskers. Also isn't tannenbaum german for christmas tree? I think I'll have to dub him Chris Chirstmas hah.

Anyways those are my thoughts at first glance, Can't wait to read more!~

• Like 1

Also isn't tannenbaum german for christmas tree?

It is. Kind of. It's the kind of the tree, not the cut-off corpse one decorates and displays, only to add insult to injury. But for the jokes sake: Yeah, Tannenbaum is German for christmas tree.

:D

Just finished my first read-through and several things jump out at me:

• Love tying specific lines of a character's fate to the adventure. This really shows a new fatemaster how to do it.
  • The Complications chapter is excellent. These ideas and encounters turn In Defense of Innocence from an adventure module into a real campaign.
  • Expanding on complications; I like the "Use When" portion. This goes a long way to helping FM's craft a meaningful story tailored to the fated.
  • A nice mix of encounters and scenes; I think players will really need to consider their pursuits each session.
  • There are also a couple good "red-herrings" as well as several excellent moral quandaries for the fated to deal with.

Overall I look forward to running this. The only thing I would have like to see more of is maps, but since I love making them it's not really an issue. 

• Like 2

I see alot of positive and negative numerical modifiers for different instances

I was under the impression that instead of numerical modifiers you added or subtracted cards from the Fate Flip?

first empressions:

pro's: 
i really like how this is such a big campaign like story, not something to be done in a single adventure

really like the fates at the start of each chapter that can be "solved" its really good to have somthing like this
the extra complication chapter with additional things that can be used is really really good for a new FM like myself and these are things that can alway come back in a certain of way in later adventures.

cons:

its a lot! thats it. not sure if this is a con tough :P

great job Wyrd! this really is a nice penny dreadfull

• Like 2

Aaron, i don't think i saw this in the pd version or so.

but i'm running this in my current campaign (the players absolutely love this!) because this whole nephilim attack thingy is exactly what i was doing in my current campaign.

now since the party in my campaign has a very dedicated political player (so guess what..) he is running for mayor and probably will be able to become mayor (a wastrel pursuit and high convince stat and he is able to talk his wway out of almost everything and he wwas able to talk some sense into the drunk Gustavo Ortega)

in the pdf there is something about the reaction of the people of innocence but there is nothing about "benefits and gains" when a players becomes the mayor, what he has to do if he becomes mayor, what he gets etc. maybe i just missed it somewhere in between the lines (its a big pdf) but can you help me with this?

cheers

There is nothing about being the mayor in the Penny Dreadful. Essentially, there just wasn't enough room to go into all the details about what it means to be mayor when it's not core to the story or even something that's super easy to achieve.

There is a chance that the next Innocence Penny Dreadful will go into it some, but I can't say at this time. My suggestion to you is to make it up! If a Fated becomes mayor, it won't matter much until Innocence is saved. At that point, life in the town will probably change dramatically... so just make it up on the fly based on the level of outcome achieved.

• Like 1

There is nothing about being the mayor in the Penny Dreadful. Essentially, there just wasn't enough room to go into all the details about what it means to be mayor when it's not core to the story or even something that's super easy to achieve.

There is a chance that the next Innocence Penny Dreadful will go into it some, but I can't say at this time. My suggestion to you is to make it up! If a Fated becomes mayor, it won't matter much until Innocence is saved. At that point, life in the town will probably change dramatically... so just make it up on the fly based on the level of outcome achieved.

allright thank you very much :) i will post here what i did after our sessions, next up is "The Vote" after that will be the defence set up and after that the battle :) 

i would recomend playing this :)
its really fun to do, especially for new FM. it "teaches" you all kind of extra tricks in plotweaving, plotmaking and extra plots you can just add at ANY moment in the game. 

players get cocky: add this 

players loves arcanists: add this

players HATE ressers or neverborn: HOHO! add this!!

tonight i will be playing part 2 (act 2) of this penny dreadfull. i'm so excited about what my players will do tonight :D 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...