Moving Towards, Away From and p.s. Heed my Voice

TheRedChemist

Question

Just played with a friend yesterday and was looking for a few rules clarifications. We are both still pretty green, but are at the phase where we are pretty solid on the general rules but looking more for tightening up our detail game.

"Push Towards" and "Away from" (maybe charging too):

As we went through our rulebooks we came to the consensus that this has to be done in a straight line. Yet where do those lines have to start and end? Are they measured from the center point of one base to the center point of the other, or can you draw tangental lines between target bases so long as they are straight? Can you charge at angles  like this or do you need to go along a line from center base to center base?

Heed my Voice (sorry don't have card handy):

If the Hungering Darkness forces an enemy model to use the a 1AP action to walk out of an engagement with a Ten Thunders brother, does the enemy model trigger a disengaging strike from the brother? The reason we ask is because the Heed ability reads something like "this model considers the TARGET friendly", does that mean the 10T brother does not?

Thanks in advance!

5 answers to this question

1) Towards and away are always center to center, so "directly" towards and away. Charging only requires a straight line (in any direction) that leaves the charging model within range of at least 1 Close Attack (the little claws) against the Charge Target.

2) I'm not 100% of the text of "Heed My Voice", but in any case, because you control both models, you can choose to make the strike or not.

EDIT: As pointed out below by the fantastic Laika, only Huggy is friendly to the controlled model. But since disengaging strikes are always optional, the Brother can choose to let the Heeded enemy model Walk out of engagement.

When you take control of something the model does not change any of its allegiances. An enemy model you control is still considered an enemy by you and friendly to the original crew.

This has several interesting implications, for instance you cannot use heed my voice to cause an enemy model to destroy one of their own scheme markers as the rules only allow models to destroy enemy markers, and even though you control the model they still consider you an enemy and their markers as friendly.

The reason the hungering darkness has an ability which makes his controlled model consider him, and only him, friendly is for two reasons:

1) he has a terror score, and during play test we found that such models essentially were turning their obey type effects into paralyzes by grabbing control of a model, forcing that model to target the model with terror, and then purposely failing the check. Since friendly models don't take terror checks when targeting friendly models this stopped that abuse.

2) it allows a model with a ranged attack that is engaged by a model with an obey effect to utilize it. So if the darkness is engaged with a death Marshall and uses heed my voice on it, as long as no other model from the darkness' crew is engaged with that death Marshall it can fire it's gun at another member of its crew.

• Like 3