Which Puppet Wars Box?

Vioarr

I'm looking at getting Puppet Wars Unstitched, and have the option of two different boxes, I was wondering if there were any differences between the two

the first has all the characters on the box art, including seamus, justice, and pokey vic

the second is more plain and just has seamus on the cover.

are there any differences between the two?  does one have more recent rules?  is one a better buy (the seamus only box is $5 more)?

Thanks

What you are looking at is two versions of the game, the newer Puppet Wars: Unstitched game and the older Puppet Wars game. They should really be looked at as two different games (both are enjoyable). Here are the big differences.

• Puppet Wars: Unstitiched has larger plastic miniatures versus metal for Puppet Wars.
  • Unstitched has a much more substantial box and better marketing art (showing the contents of the game) than Puppet Wars which has a very flimsy box and virtually no real marketing (plain black box that says nothing about the game or contents).
  • Unstitched has 3 of each Pawn included versus Puppet Wars which only has one of each.
  • Unstitched has a larger board, not really required but some prefer it.
  • Puppet Wars has more available models via Pawn Boosters and the Multiplayer kit, Unstitched does not have this option yet.
  • Unstitched hasn't received any "new" releases or development since the change from Puppet Wars (which will not see any additional development).
  • Puppet Wars has a more complex rule set (I prefer this set) that offers a lot more depth versus Unstitched which has a much more simplistic rule set centered on just "Ripping things apart".
  • Puppet Wars can play up to 4 players if you have a few of the Pawn Boosters and the Multiplayer pack., Unstitched does not provide this option due to lack of available models (though you could mix and match the metal and plastic models and copy the Unstitched stats from the official web site for the game to fill the gaps).

I honestly prefer the older rule set (though know there are those who disagree) but liked the larger plastic puppets of the Unstitched set (I would like to see at least the original lineup of models from Puppet Wars made available at some point).

I am hopeful at some point in the future that this game may receive some further development and some much needed attention but as the years have passed it seems less and less likely.

• Like 1

thank you for your reply, I think I'm a little bit confused, because both boxes are clearly labeled as puppet wars unstitched.  the more plain box is not black, it has a wood paneling texture with the logo in the middle, and looking closer at it it has seamus, hooded rider, and what looks like colette on the cover...  but both of them saying "unstitched" is what has me a little confused

Edited by Vioarr

If both choices were from online sources then they are most likely the same product just with different Marketing art (i.e. one store showed the actual box while another chose to use another piece of marketing art linked to the game).

In that case go with which ever one is cheaper as they are the same game. Enjoy the game.

If you have some Terraclips sets then you can introduce some more fun into the game though will have to house rule some stuff.