Hoffman crew box

Hey,

I'm really not one to complain publicly (I am British after all), but the new Hoffman crew box has left me really disappointed.

Hoffman and the Guardian are great, love the new sculpts. The  totem is fine, better than the metal one.

The Hunter is good too. And that is where the problems start. 

The second Hunter is a mirror of the first. Which is just lazy. I can't believe that a different pose, something dynamic like leaping or landing couldn't have been included instead to compliment the stalking pose of the other.

The watcher is just plain disgraceful. One wing is massively bigger than the other. Not in the sense that one is folded and the other is stretched out. One is just 4 times bigger. Someone on A Wyrd Place pointed out that it looks like its been sculpted in perspective, the smaller wing being further away like it is in the artwork. Can't believe this got the OK.

Maybe I've just come to expect really high standards from Wyrd but this box feels like a mock-up rather than a finished product. I know we as fans tend to pressure Wyrd for quicker and quicker releases but I would much rather have slower releases and higher quality. I really hope this is only a blip rather than a sign of things to come.

Rant over. Merry Christmas everyone.

Yeah This was My post over on the wyrd place. 

My sentiments are pretty much the mirror of the above post. Hoffman is Awesome! great job on him. Hunters are good, Pitty about the mirror but still cool. Mechanical assistant cool other than he is not holding the gun on line with his for arm (really tricky to shoot it the way he's holding it) this is a minor issue though. 

The Watcher is just really poor in my opinion, It would have been harder to sculpt it the way it is getting the wings dramatically wrong than it would have been to get them the same size.

I'm hoping this isn't indicative of future releases and wyrd rushing to get sculpts done to match the high paced release schedule. 

I'm hoping this is the reason they are looking to recruit Zbrush sculptors.

Any way enough of this misery (or should that be Miss Ery) 

A Happy Christmas to all and a Wyrd New Year!

Here's pics of the Watcher front and back.

Watcherfront_zpsedfe11fc.jpg

Watcherback_zps109b203e.jpg

I've been saying for a while that the so called "scale issues" with kneeling/bent over models are likely not scale issues at all, but rather an artifact of trying to make a 3D render of a 2D design, complete with perspective and all. Wish I was wrong... :-(

I picked up a Hoffman box as well and the watcher is the only real disappointment I had.  I don't know if it's forced perspective gone awry or or what but it just looks goofy unless you view it from just the right angle.  I hope they come out with a separate release for the watcher with an alternate sculpt. 

I've been saying for a while that the so called "scale issues" with kneeling/bent over models are likely not scale issues at all, but rather an artifact of trying to make a 3D render of a 2D design, complete with perspective and all. Wish I was wrong... :-(

Have any of the other models had these kind of distortions? Because perspective distortions and scale are completely different things in 3D modelling. Add to that that it's super easy to uniformly scale a model in 3D programs, so even if the artist decided to make one model larger because he thought it was closer to the viewer, that could be fixed in seconds by anyone. The travesty that is the watcher requires the artist to completely have missed the point of what he was doing. And I guess the person signing off on the artist's work must have just glanced at a render or something, not opening the 3D file and spin the model around a bit and checked that things were actually in order.

• Like 2

This is the way zbrushers work http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2b8pATe5Rp8

So yes, perspective may have caused size problems when modeling groups of models, so far.
I start to think some of the artists commissioned were good modelers, but not good modelists (Maybe they don't even know the game, what are Ht and Base size, and they aren't given 3D/physical reference material, after all, all they have to do is to turn that cool artwork into a cool render...). Ramos' mantel too has a odd shape, but it's far less annoying. I still think we're given fantastic miniatures, btw pointing out exaggerated stretches like these Watcher's wings might be worthy both for Wyrd, when they give directives to the artists, and for us to get better products :)

Have any of the other models had these kind of distortions? Because perspective distortions and scale are completely different things in 3D modelling. Add to that that it's super easy to uniformly scale a model in 3D programs, so even if the artist decided to make one model larger because he thought it was closer to the viewer, that could be fixed in seconds by anyone. The travesty that is the watcher requires the artist to completely have missed the point of what he was doing. And I guess the person signing off on the artist's work must have just glanced at a render or something, not opening the 3D file and spin the model around a bit and checked that things were actually in order.

Impossible to know, but some models, like Mei Feng's base and the Flesh Construct's victim, only make sense from one specific angle, namely the one matching the box art. Makes me think they're designed from a 2d rendering, with perspective in mind. Watcher is the worst so far IMHO, makes me happy I went with Leveticus instead for the growth league we're running in January!

Yep. Quality control at its finest.

No indication of poor QC here, if all sprues are as horrible as this one QC is per definition perfect. Still a horrible design, and as I said above, I think it looks like the worst from Wyrd so far... :-(

Ironically, if some copies of the sprue have equally sized wings that would constitute poorer QC than if all are horrible. I do think Wyrd have some QC issues, I think a too large percentage of packages are missing parts. But they more than make for it by fixing every issue no questions asked when replacing lost parts...

Still, for the sake of new players who might check the forums before buying, I think it's important to distinguish between QC, which is good and were every issue will be fixed no questions asked, and design, which ranges from stunning (most of the range) to horrible (models like the Watcher that only look amazing from a certain angle)...

Just bought the box.... how the f*** do you put hoffman thogether??

Cant find assembly instructions

And also i only got 1 hunter statcard and 1 50mm base!

Hey! First of all, calm down a bit! o.O

Then, you can see here Gmorts box assembled, without many issues, and with "be careful" spots pointed out http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.it/2014/12/guest-unboxing-hoffmans-of-metal-and.html

Instructions will probably follow soon, remember that Hoffman boxes around by now were almost all PRE-Release.

So, please again calm down, and don't be rude...

Considering you can only hire 2 hunters, flipping them isn't actually a terrible idea. Doesn't really make sense to sculpt 2 and at least it introduces a little variety.

I'm not sure what you're supposed to do with the Watcher, though. One wing looks too small and the other makes it look like a pain to position.

Just for the record, my Hoffman box was bought retail, not black friday, so its not pre-release.

I agree with people who said about the wing fanning. I would have no problem with that as a design, but that's not what we've got. What we seem to have is 2-D perspective on a 3-D miniature without much thought into how it will look in the flesh. I would hate to see this continue, which is why I started this thread. If Wyrd get feedback on what works and what doesn't it will only help to improve the products in the future.

I'm not too stressed over the mirror sculpts, just a little sad because other minions with multiple sculpts have been so diverse. Just look at Death Marshals! In a small skirmish game I want as much variety as possible, because there is no reason not to have it!

Hoffman wasn't too hard to put together. Just dry-fit everything. And he looks amazing!

• Like 1

Oh dang, I never notice the scaling of the metacarpals compared to each other -they are like half the size on the right wing,aren't they? The right wing is still clearly drooped compared to the more or less outstretched left wing, however. The hoffman mini and hunter are both amazing.

Now where's my Ryle? Thr new art for him looks reeaaaaaally scaaaaaary.