My Scrapyard board

Vermicious Knid

So I made this post a long time ago back in the Miniatures Showcase forum - but that was before we actually had a dedicated Terrain Showcase forum. Since this area has been created, I thought I would repost my original terrain article, as well as a few updates and new things I have made. So even if you've already seen this stuff, scroll down!

So hey folks - I just made some brand new stuff I thought I might show off a bit.

My plan was to make a simple set of themed terrain I can use at home for both Malifaux and Warmachine games. I wanted it to be at least vaguely "steampunk" (so no boring grassy hills and such) and not be that difficult to create. Also I plan on getting one of those new Frontline Gaming battle mats - specifically the 4' square "Barren Wasteland" mat - and I wanted something that would blend in with those pretty nicely. Finally I wanted something that matched the customized basing scheme I used for my "steampunk" armies (basically all my warmachine and malifaux figs). And thus the scrapyard was born!

Below are a couple of hills and that I did. The hills were constructed using a combination of PP's "junk pile" hills, which you can find on the main PP website, and also I used some cork board hills as a starter as well. There is a forum poster on the PP site named Poppabear, and I have to say that his quick-and-easy cork hills were an inspiration. The idea allowed me to jump ahead several steps, and letting me get cool looking rocky hills with a minimal of modeling. I did a few extra steps by mounting them on some matte board to give it some extra ruggedness, and hid the join with a mix of patching plaster and gravel around the bottom of the base.

As a final trick, I actually used the "rough cut" cork board, instead of the basic board. This stuff is a little more expensive, and the cork bark is cut into larger pieces. I personally find the larger chunks mimic the look of rock a whole lot better than basic cork board, and I recommend it to anybody who wants to use cork with terrain projects or basing their miniatures.NrWvwkE.jpgsur4AYp.jpg

I also did up 4 walls in the same scheme. Basically used the same paints and modeling materials so that they would blend in with the hills that I already constructed. My goal was to make some walls that weren't really created to actually BE walls - they are just random collections of junk that will form a wall-like structure for use in game. I am very happy with the result!50IQWgA.jpg

So that's the start of my home-gaming Junkyard terrain! I am working on some more pieces right now, including some fairly ramshackle buildings, and a couple of "forests", which will actually be just collections of scrap on a template that will mimic the rules of a forest (that sort of thing is actually allowed in the rulebook even - look it up! ). Also picked up some Envirotex to create a water feature of some kind too. Stay tuned!

• Like 1

So hey folks - I just made some brand new stuff I thought I might show off a bit.

My plan was to make a simple set of themed terrain I can use at home for both Malifaux and Warmachine games. I wanted it to be at least vaguely "steampunk" (so no boring grassy hills and such) and not be that difficult ]Hey folks, I just put the finishing touches on my scrapyard water feature. It's a little hard to tell in the photo, but the pond is filled with Envirotex, and looks pretty cool (if I do say so - love Envirotex). rather than a naturally occuring pond, I wanted something to look more like a screwed up piece of industrial machinery, and this is what I came up with.

3DlcMZgl.jpg

bBgSHJsl.jpg

qWsIYFOl.jpg

• Like 3

I was wondering when this stuff would be finding its way into the terrain thread.

I've been striking out on finding the right sort of cork board (or maybe I am clueless about what the right sort of cork board is) but I am still looking.  There are a lot of terrain pieces I admire, but this stuff just makes me smile.  I must have some of my very own.

The cork board that I always use is a "chunkier" variety. By that, I mean that they don't chop up the cork board into tiny finely-ground little bits, but instead make the board out of larger pieces. I find that this stuff is the best, since when you break it up, the larger cork chunks resemble rocks a lot more.

You can find this particular style of cork board in craft stores (Michael's, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, stuff like that). Usually it's a very dark color - like almost black. It's also slightly more expensive than the "basic" cork board, but it's well worth it if you are looking for good visuals

The cork board that I always use is a "chunkier" variety. By that, I mean that they don't chop up the cork board into tiny finely-ground little bits, but instead make the board out of larger pieces. I find that this stuff is the best, since when you break it up, the larger cork chunks resemble rocks a lot more.

You can find this particular style of cork board in craft stores (Michael's, AC Moore, Hobby Lobby, stuff like that). Usually it's a very dark color - like almost black. It's also slightly more expensive than the "basic" cork board, but it's well worth it if you are looking for good visuals

I think I found the right cork today at Michael's.  Be a few more days before I have a chance to try working with it to see if I can make my own terrain hill, but I am looking forward to giving it a go.

[[...and a couple of "forests", which will actually be just collections of scrap on a template that will mimic the rules of a forest (that sort of thing is actually allowed in the rulebook even - look it up! ). ]]

I am working on an Ork tech-junk world with similar terrain. Regarding trees I figured some steam pipes spraying smoke (painted wool cotton) in template sets instead. Just a thought :-)

Love all the stuff you've done so far.

I don't use a rotary hole punch for rivets - they are far too large. The hole punch I got was more traditional looking - it just punches a really tiny hole. Found it in the scrapbooking aisles.

To be honest, I don't know how thin of card I use. It's not the thinnest available - more like the 2nd or 3rd thinnest

• 4 weeks later...