show us your tables

charlarino

It is difficult to see however there is an awful lot of elevation built into each of those boards. The Badlands in particular provides plenty of LOS blocking options and hard cover, the highest plateaus are over 3" above the tiles. The LOS rules for 1st edition were also much different than they are now.

I do agree that the rolling hills table is quite a bit sparser than they could be but they are similar to Wyrd's GenCon tournament tables (which are very sparse). When I used these for non-tournaments I included a lot more scatter terrain.

For that particular tournament though, players rotated tables each round and never played the same table twice, so they might play on a table that favored a ranged crew one round only to be on a table that favored a melee crew the next. We also altered the tables scatter terrain slightly between rounds dependent upon generated Strategies and crews (for example one of the players was utilizing a heavy spirit Kirai crew so we lightened the rolling hills table a bit so it wouldnt be such a huge advantage). From the feedback we collected after the tournament the Sewer board was the one that was complained about the most since it was both "indoors" (1st edition limitation type) and featured an awful lot of "severe terrain" if you were in the water portions. The Ruins tables was a close second.

If I manage some time this weekend I'll build up a Terraclips table that shows what I typically play on.

• Like 1

All of the MDF stuff (except the small bridges (hurlbat games) and shipping containers (wargamemodelmods)) is from TT Combat.

The tiles are worldworksgames Himmeveil canals and streets tiles stuck to 12"x12" cork tiles.

The small buildings are foamcore covered in stickers made from worldworksgames Thoumonts building set.

The river in the top pic is the pre-painted river set from Pegasus.

• 1 month later...

Color me inspired.

I've been able to "inherit" my roomates old drawing table, which makes a nice playing surface on its own. I want to use it as the basis for some proper game tables using pegboard and cork as the base (cork so that we can pin down terrain pieces), then make some proper hills, forests, and buildings/structures. My first structure set will likely have a "farm" theme to it... fences, livestock pens, a barn or two, some fields and groves of trees. 

LGS is fun, but gaming at home has its perks.

• 3 months later...

So the buildings I scrounged up from local thrift stores just before Christmas time. If you look really closely you can see most of them have Christmas Wreaths on the door ways. Companies like Lemax, JC Penny, Sears, and such have been making them for years, but new they're easily $40 each. If you can find them, I'd suggest getting them at Goodwill, the Salvation Army, or Arc thrift stores. I don't know what you'd have in your area. I'd suggest taking a single easy to carry model (fits in your pocket without stabbing you in the leg) to make sure the size is right. I was pretty picky about the scale, but you have to be a little forgiving.

I did find a nice set from the Home Depot that had a bunch of buildings, fences, and cool gas lights that actually light up and I think it was only $50, but obviously most of these will be seasonal. I like going right around the end of October, the stores are usually bringing them out by then around here.

So to give them the right look, you'll need a satin black polyeurothane, just wipe the whole thing down with black to give it a more gothic appeal, and cover any "snowy" bits with green flock or sand. It's pretty easy, and just takes a day or two for that stain to dry. I didn't try to cover any lightbulb holes, or get too worried about dents and scratches. Each piece will be a work of art so you'll have make the decisions about each one at a time.

The Graveyard set came from Games Workshop, but I can't remember the name right now. I keep two churches with different looks that are porcelain around as well.

T1MOTHY77:  SO what is the brick pattern stuff you have on the base of the city board!?  I've been looking for something exactly like that.   :huh: 

Here's some WIP swamp terrain...  I've since painted some brown and green swirlies on the fabric on the board to make it look more swampy.
MalifauxBoard2_zps9db2689f.jpg

The Swamp it a three part modular set up but I'm having all kinds of warping issues so I'm looking to redesign them.  The shacks are the following in various states of being painted...
GremlinTownWIP1_zps7d4c6062.jpg

Here's a trick I found to get easy wood grain on my craft stick structures...  You draw the pattern on to the wood by pressing hard on a ball point pen and then the grain turns up nicely when you dry brush/black wash it.
GremlinShack1WIP1_zpsc2c74f67.jpg

Here's the most complete of the three swamp sections...
ModularSwampWIP5-4_zps6a52d819.jpg

ModularSwampWIP5-2_zpsb722c48e.jpg

The trees are magnetized and removable to make moving figs easier.  The water effect is just a couple coats of gloss varnish over painted hardboard.

I'll see if I can get some more current pics in the next couple days.  I've been looking to start selling some of my terrain pieces on ebay or to do commission work for any of y'all that might be interested, to make ends meet.  If you like anything you see, IM me and we can do some dealing.  ;)

-DavicusPrime

• Like 1

Thanks. We played on it for yearm maybe two  ;)

Flip is in right side. Without its own prepainted place :D  

That's what I was thinking...  When we play, you have a deck and discard but you're flips are going in front of you, not in a designated pile.

I was thinking about doing something similar, but I was making it way more complicated than it needed to be.  eyeballing it, it looks like your board is two pieces of 1" insulation foam painted and hinged with some duct tape perhaps?  Beautifully simple.

-DavicusPrime

• 3 weeks later...