Howard Langston: worth deputizing?

The Zinc Lich

In the upcoming Black Friday sale season, the wife is going to be grabbing herself a Miss Step. This means that I'm going to get a free Howard Langston out of her MSU box. I was planning on getting Hoffman at some point in the next few months, so I'm pretty happy with the deal.

That being said, he is very similar to the Peacekeeper. The defensive stats don't mean much; either way, the big guys are going to be power loop'd pretty much all the time. I can give the Peacekeeper Nimble with the Hydraulics modification. The big differences are the decap trigger on Langston's claws (which is pretty sweet) and Steam Cloud vs the Peacekeeper's harpoon gun and Advanced Protocol.

Has anyone had experience with the two of them? Is Langston worth the upgrade slot for Arcanist Ties and the extra Soul Stone?

Before I start writing, I should say that this is mostly theoryfaux, I've not actually played with or against that many of the 10+ models in 2e..

But reading the cards and theoryfauxing around the big monsters, especially the ones from wave1, I do feel Howard is head and shoulders above the others, taken on their own. Sure, with the right crews you can get around the limitations of the other hitters, for example there are at least two ways to give the Peacekeeper Nimble when playing guild, but it cannot get it on its own, and I think that is what makes Howard so great: he doesn't _need_ to be upgraded/buffed/comboed..

Howard is both very quick, very offensive, and still not very fragile, and I don't think any of the other 10+ models can compare to that.

As you say, you can make the Peacekeeper Nimble too when using Hoffman, but using Howard, you don't need to, and that means you can give him something else.. like + :ram to his Ml..  making Decapitate automatic... now don't tell me that's not tasty! 

• Like 1

Hoffman is my no. 1 Bro!

He takes ANY Construct he can get his hands on and makes them a whole lot better! I've had him turn a Rail Golem into a thing of nightmares. He takes M&SU constructs and makes them better than any Arcanist could hope for. I've used Langston once and gave him Patchwork Plating.... Oh the joy I had cramming that down Mei Feng's throat! Another time I played Mei Feng she had a Rail Golem... So did I.... We went at it and mine won, easily! 

It's a damn shame Langston can't be given Targeting Systems though... of course that would break Malifaux  :D

• Like 1

One of the advantages of Langston over the Peacekeeper in this case is that you can give Nimble to a different construct and still keep the speed on your primary beatstick.  This means perhaps for very interact based schemes you could put Nimble on one watcher and Programmed Directive on another and still have Langston be nimble.  Or you can put Nimble on that Hunter or Warden you took so they can keep up with Langston or serve as better delivery boats for Hoffman himself.

With the peacekeeper though you get Armor +2 and hard to Wound +1 making it more durable than Langston for those times you need durability over speed.  Give the Peacekeeper the armor plating for Armor +3 or the Targeting System for a bit more explosive damage while utilizing its durability.  Unless your opponent can ignore the armor it will take its fair share to drag down.

Why pick between them? The first time I played Hoffman in M2E I took the Peacekeeper and Langston :)

I've done similar to this with Langston and the Rail Golem but at the cost of Ryle / Joss who I almost always take at least one of. You can really only justify 2 10+ ss models in his crew. 

He was a staple in my Hoffman crew when I ran it. Melee 7 in the loop is fantastic. Giving him extra armor and a potentially higher DF makes him more survivable. Use Hoffman's machine puppet to get him close enough to nimble in and flurry? Couldn't be better. I've done a Peacekeeper and Howard Langston at the same time for a Reckoning game. Hoffman was heal-bot, and Hank and the PK played bash bros. 

I know you can bring in ML 7 with the guardian, as well as DF 6 to pass around, but Hank's benefits are in his inherent nimble action, and high minimum damage.

ENinja

• 3 weeks later...

S'okay. He's already got nimble, so you can give him armor plating making him armor two, and looping him can make him DF 6 rather easily. He's tough, fast, and has flurry with min damage 3. I don't see what's not to love. There are some good general guild upgrades (especially with the wave two stuff) that can give him some more fantastic utility, such as:

Expert Sleuth- a 0 action that can push him towards enemy scheme markers to give his flurry a potential 11" threat range, or even more for a charge. 

Plant Evidence- Makes him drop a scheme marker if he dies, or placeing a scheme marker if he makes it to the end of the game? Or Removing a scheme marker if he makes it to the end of the game to deny a point? All pretty decent.

He can't take lead lined coat, since it specifies a model "that does not already have the Armor ability". But again, that's what Armor Plating is for. :3

ENinja