What do I actually need three of?

kalcan

Cheap as they are, I would think you'd hit diminishing marginal returns on Depleted (at least) pretty quickly. Wastrels can potentially do so much that they may be worth running three of - actually, they might be worth running three of just because the models are so cool looking.

Even Witchling Stalkers, which pretty much live at the corner of good and cheap, seem to run out of things their best suited for doing by the time I activate the third one in a turn. In general I don't find Malifaux to reward redundancy too much.

Of course there are always exceptions to that rule and Dirial has a much better understanding of the game than I do.

There's quite a few things that you would run three of but if you're question is whether you would run three Torakage, Archers or Samurai almost certainly not.  I gave one of each of all mine away.  You may run three Torakage at times because they are decent models and good at lots of things but for 7/8SS respectively the other two are very unlikely to ever make it into crews in threes (or even twos in a lot of cases).  Even with the new upgrades I'm not that sure that one Oiron would ever make my crews.

I've never run 3 samurai, torakage or archers and only used 2 low river monks once.

And given that I'll end up with 3 katanakanakanaka snipers after Black Friday I'm wondering the same thing myself.

But then again these are at the top end of the minions point cost. 3 wastrels is the same as 2 torakage. I would run 3 10Thunder brothers or at least 2 with 2 tengu for scheme runners.

D.

For scheme running I pair 1 each with a Tengu on each flank - had a tengu on each end obejctive turn 1 in Squatters rights with corner deployment. Flank deployment with Breakthrough was accomplished turn 1. Leave the TTB in place to Protect Holdings with Defensive and Df+1

To give my opponents a smile I will generally perform Dance of the Heavens with appropriate hand movements.

D.

• Like 1

My tactic is activate TTB move interact drop marker dance of the heavens and flip/cheat eagle style to position up. Activate Tengu, Shooting Star to the marker then fly twice to where I need to be. TTB next turn should be reasonably close to either eagle style again or do another objective. Either way the Tegu is now catipulted up the board to run schemes.

Personally i can't wait for Komainu to release as the artwork is beautiful.

D.

Really? I have been looking at them and they seem like a waste? What am I missing?

Yeah, really enjoyed them last edition, this edition I just feel like there are a ton of more reliable choices.

Regarding the OP, it's pretty rare that I'll put more than 15 points (ex: max 3 of ≤5 points, 2 of 6-7, one of 8+) on anything, because it's overspecialization, unless it's something really good or something I really like the playstyle of.

• Like 1