Laying out a board

paradoxstorm

I know that the sub-section is Terrain "Showcase" but I am hoping folks can tolerate some advice seeking before I have anything to show off.

I have a couple of 3x3 boards with some "grass" painted onto on them.  So far, so good.  

What I would like to do is try to add roads and maybe some water---strictly using paint for now.

I am not a design guy so it comes as no surprise to me that I have having trouble visualizing where a river might work well.

The one board I played on with a river had the river located about 9"  from the edge.  Playing with the river across the board puts one players models behind the river entirely in standard deployment---which seems to me to always favor one player over the other.  Alternatively you could run the river down one side of the board which seems better, but still not right for some reason.

What works well for placement of permanent terrain like a river?  Is there a way to do it right, or, perhaps a balancing bit of terrain for the other side of the board?

As I see it roads are more of an aesthetic issue but not being a design guy I have trouble visualizing what makes sense and would look reasonably good.  Suggestions welcome.

Personally I prefer modular rivers, this way I can change it whenever I wish.

However as your really want to paint it, I'd recommend to put it either right down the middle of diagonally across the board. Whilst you play I would ensure that you have multiple bridges across the river to ensure shooty crews don't gain too much of an advantage, of course your can always play the river as if it was so shallow that it doesn't affect movement.

Generally a river is an obsticle that interferes with the movement of both armies.  If you are looking for a "fair" placment then it should go diagonally across the center of the table left to right generally from around the deployment zone of one side to the deployment zone of the other side.   They make for more interesting games becasue it is terrain that gives you very few options for crossing.  If you do a river be sure that there is more than one bridge since a single crossing will become the focal point of the game.  As far as I can see roads in this system do not matter much so placing them would be your personal preferance.  Hope that helps.

Snitchy sends.

Thanks for the help.

Modular is an approach I hadn't looked at seriously just yet--mostly because for now my modular river would be cut pieces of cloth and they seem to have trouble staying in one place during the game.  When I recover from my black friday binge I can look into something both modular and a bit more stable during game play.

Right now I have no place to set up a permanent board so I am focusing on the portable ones.  I feel like a painted river gives me something permanent and interesting as a starting point the moment the board is on the table.

With a roughly diagonal placement I am thinking 4-5 bridges--does that seem about right?  

Finally, where do I look for instructions on  posting photos?  I expect it will be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to try out my plan for a river but I will want some feedback when the time comes.  

You can run it through the middle, but don't feel like it has to be dead center and affect both sides of the board equally. A board that is mostly similar but has one side slightly better than the other for one reason or another (better cover, less severe, etc) gives more effect to a part of the game that is sometimes overlooked.. deployment. If everything is even, the choice to deploy first is a lot less important.

Another option is to put two smaller ones cutting across opposite corners. That way, maybe it affects the game if people choose to deploy inside it or pick a scheme with a reason to go over there, but maybe it doesn't.

I'd guess anywhere from 2-5 crossings, bridges or shallow areas or fallen tree. More if you diagonal with it or want a more mobile map. Less when you want a challenge. Always better to mix it up from game to game. Different boards favor bringing different model types (incorporeal, flying). Sometimes it's worth paying the extra for those guys, sometimes not.

Also, the idea of saying whether it is severe or hazardous or whatever on a game by game basis is a good idea. Keeps the games from becoming stagnant, which happens easily on a locked-in board.