PlastcraftGames Terrain

Vile the mad

Has anybody bought any of this terrain yet? I'm certainly interested in seeing what could be done with it.

I picked up the sewer walkways.  I haven't really started working with it yet, but it felt cheap when I opened it up to check the contents, which is disappointing, because it most certainly is not.

Finally got around to building this stuff last night and thought I'd post some updated impressions.

Initial disappointments aside, the finished products have some compelling features.  They do feel reasonably sturdy once assembled, though I need some playtime to determine if it needs some weighting to not shift during play.  They do look nice overall with only some questionable looking areas where the fencing slides in due to the papercraft nature of that design.

Probably the most important feature overall is the volume of stuff you end up getting in the set.  Each walkway section ends up being around the size of a small building, so the entire set winds up creating a good amount of table coverage for the cost.  It's all very mechanically useful as well, with a mix of space to pass under and over for some dynamic layouts.  In terms of content, the one thing I wish is that the wooden staircase/platform was replaced with another one of those square sections and stone staircases.  The former feels out of place with the rest of the set and the latter is just more flexible and connects better with the other pieces.  I might pick up the Downtown walkway just for an extra set of stairs, though I like the blocking nature of the sewer stuff overall.

So, overall, I feel pretty happy with the sewer walkways because of what they'll add to the game.  They're highly usable 3D terrain that do a good job filling up board space for the cost.  I can't say I feel encouraged to buy any of the "big and pretty" things like the tower, building, or tomb, but I'm quite happy with the walkway I think.  Could be better, but it looks to add something unique to games at a decent price overall.

• Like 3

Good review bud, I'm really struggling at the moment with what to build for terrain, I was uhmming and aahing Between 4grounds western set and using sarissa precision to go for a canal/factory setting - now I'm tempted by these as well ..

Thanks!

I've been doing more of winter factory/mountain mining kind of thing myself, which is why I lean towards the stonework.  I could see the sewer walkways working for the canal/factory setting, but they'd probably be out of place in the old west.  I definitely think these work better to add a play layer to an existing setup than something that I'd base a table around.

Grabbed a couple of pictures tonight to give people an idea of size.  Here's the "third of a table" terrain check picture.  I normally have a snow mat for minis, but its 4x4 to accommodate Warmachine so I used my X-Wing mat to get a proper size comparison.  In total, it measured out to around 7"x18" or roughly a quarter of the recommended third of a table:

IMG_0588_zpsfefc6ce7.jpg

The home table is very much a budding work in progress.  Here's the whole set laid out with some minis for scale.  If anyone has any layout or additional item suggestions, I'd love to hear them:

IMG_0589_zpsaca87994.jpg

• Like 2

Just got my pack for the cemetery yesterday but there is no assembly instruction. Looking at the pieces they probably speak for themselves.

I'm wondering though what glue you would use for this terrain? Super or the regular plastic gleu? I wouldn't want the model to melt away when using the wrong glue.

yeah seeing it built up gives you a whole new perspective, really liking the walkway you posted and someone on facebook I think it was posted the graveyard set built up and painted... I'm mega tempted to jump into this terrain especially if they plan to bring out more products in the future

• 1 month later...

A few months ago we organized the tournament where Plastcraft presented its sets for Malifaux, and we built 2 tables with them:

Graveyard only (sorry, I only have this picture):

E15D1942-08BD-4BEE-9FF8-FC61A34331E2_zps

Plastcraft Malifaux + Carnevale sets:

8BC12770-137A-4AA7-9050-1E3EBC888E7C_zps

FAFAD3C0-889D-4B54-A767-CB777CD01D90_zps

0F0178F3-6931-4E37-9F5C-C8D21BA2C88C_zps

6E5CE029-4703-4EDF-9DFE-67F8316963BF_zps

DC5CAECC-D2FA-43AB-B0CA-F9793D90997C_zps

2BFF5925-8872-4A29-935A-1F4042305EEF_zps

6E5B300C-8983-45AC-9733-3CA12ABB2EC8_zps

...and we were lucky enough to have the official Plastcraft one as #1 table for the event:

FF51768A-EC9F-42CD-A107-793BCF8533A1_zps

(and me double lucky to be able to play on that on the last round!)

• Like 2

The Carnevale pieces are a nice compliment.

Still not sold on these due to the high pricing (the cartoony Tim Burton aesthetic isn't that enticing for me either) but I can see the allure. I still prefer the Terraclips sets for home tables but those, unfortunately, have gone the way of the dodo (even if Wyrd hasn't made a formal announcement about it).