Man you are one insane painter. :) 

What are you thinking about doing after this Dreamer crew?

Wow, thanks! This is all just stuff I've accumulated over the years since getting back into painting in '05 - like I said at the beginning of my thread, I've never really been able to finish an army for other games and ended up more at the display/competition painting end of things - I keep getting sidetracked into one-offs or playing around with effects, or painting for competitions. Malifaux is my attempt to paint figures up to where I consider them a "good" tabletop standard without sinking in too many hours like I've done with the stuff I normally paint. The Amethyst Wizard above was a one-off piece that somebody gave me already primed black at a bits trading thing years ago - I've never used black primer and up until that guy never painted over black primer, so I just played around to see what I could do with it. (While I like wizards from my DnD days and I have about 1,000+ old lead figures in drawers, I'd never done any modern GW Warhammer figures.)

As to what's "next," that's easy. I'm working on Rasputina and crew in the background here. I was painting her up for the Frozen Moments event we had a little while ago, but I messed up painting her face a bit and had to rework that and then ended up going into the hospital for a week... so much for conveniently painting something I was painting anyway that just happened to coincide with a deadline on the Wyrd Forums here. Heh. When I don't feel like prepping plastic, I've already got the Children of December prepped and primed. I'm finishing up Rasputina and then going to work on the rest of those guys.

I picked up one of the metal Hamelin boxes during the Black Friday sale as well as the standalone Hamelin figure (because I like the look of him better than the one in the boxed crew), but that's a long ways away - like after I've actually played the game with one of these two crews I'm currently working on. I've got a pack of the metal Daydreams because. Oh, and two of the Miss Ery Teddies. By rights, one of them is my wife's. She has a Mother of Monsters box I'm prepping that she'll hopefully paint (maybe when Hell ices over) and my daughter has a Lady Justice crew prepped that I need to "tidy up" and prime for her to paint (she's 11 and more into Minecraft than minis.)

Did I mention drawers and drawers of stuff that isn't Malifaux related?

• 2 months later...

So a few weeks after we organized the basement and cleared out a lot of the junk that came with us from the move in September, I cleared out my painting space again from the influx of intruding boxes and such. Been on a painting kick lately, but forgot to post it here. Without further ado, a work-in-progress pic of who I think is my favorite out of the Daydreams from the 'Hide and Seek' set:

image_zpswersrjgf.jpg

• Like 1

Wow.  I have never really understood or been a fan of the translucent models and haven't been impressed by any partially painted translucents I've seen.  Your treatment of them is just perfect!!  Clearly shows a mastery of the painting media to have come up with the idea and implemented it so well.

And your glass effects on the wizard... mind blowing.

Glad I stumbled across your thread, can't wait to see more.

• Like 1

Really nice work. I have to say that is one of the better ice golems I've seen on the site. I really like how the larger pieces of ice get darker as they get higher. The one thing I turthfully don't like about it is the 'blacklining' that you've done around most of the creases. To me, it just looks too dark and defined, on a model that otherwise is blended beautifully. I can't wait to see the rest of the crew.

What did you use for the green barriers between the worlds? Is that dyed ice/snow effects?

• Like 1

Wow.  I have never really understood or been a fan of the translucent models and haven't been impressed by any partially painted translucents I've seen.  Your treatment of them is just perfect!!  Clearly shows a mastery of the painting media to have come up with the idea and implemented it so well.

And your glass effects on the wizard... mind blowing.

Glad I stumbled across your thread, can't wait to see more.

Thank you very much! My plan all along has been to keep these guys as simple as possible (barring the basing) so I can use them to get playing while I put in more involved work on my actual painted figures. I've been tempted to try partially painting some stuff once those started cropping up, but nah, I'm just going to keep trucking with the washes over the translucent pink and the split-theme base scheme. Faster that way, and I kinda like the way they're turning out.

Really nice work. I have to say that is one of the better ice golems I've seen on the site. I really like how the larger pieces of ice get darker as they get higher. The one thing I turthfully don't like about it is the 'blacklining' that you've done around most of the creases. To me, it just looks too dark and defined, on a model that otherwise is blended beautifully. I can't wait to see the rest of the crew.

What did you use for the green barriers between the worlds? Is that dyed ice/snow effects?

Thank you as well for the compliments! Yeah, with the Ice Golem as a test piece for the rest of Rasputina's crew, I was pretty much using him as a very large experiment for painting ice/crystal. The 'blacklining' you mention isn't actually lining in - I painted this guy mostly with washes and touch-ups afterward for the sake of speed. The creases are actually just shaded on the top side with the darkest color I used (which was turquoise) and possibly some purple - it was only on the underside of the figure that I actually "shaded" intentionally.

I also see now from this computer how blurry these pics of the golem are - I've been playing around with a new picture-taking layout since our move in September and it looks like via my actual camera they're still mostly crappy. Anyhow, a more representative picture of him might be found here in one of my earlier posts.

As for the green "barrier between worlds," you hit the nail right on the head. The same ice effect I used for the Ice Golem, I decided to sculpt the crushed glass/realistic water medium differently for basing my pink Dreamer crew. A glaze of green/yellow ink and some bleach to fade the color towards the top, and that's pretty much it.

• 4 months later...

Here's a pic I posted on my blog/FB page I hadn't shared here, since people had asked what I'd be working on after my Children of December and Translucent Pink Dreamer crew.

This is my (posted much belatedly) haul from GenCon - ideally it will all be addressed in time, but in addition to my standard Dreamer crew and my existing Hamelin figures and crew, I've got all this (3 more crews, scenery, crew add-ons, and a few assorted goodies):image_zpsf02fxeym.jpeg

Edited by Tinweasel

image_zpsiytuacow.jpgFirst attempt at painting since getting my cast off my wrist. I was trying to tidy up what I think was a horribly-painted face a few months ago (prompting me to surrender), and I think it's not so bad now. Also added some stains and highlights to the fur trim. Going to get the rest of Rasputina done next.

I had to strip the lips and chin back down to the plastic and repaint, as well as cheat and brush plastic cement over to smooth out around the right cheek.

Feedback appreciated!

• Like 1

The above was from a month ago...

I've been less than motivated about painting lately, mostly due to recovery from a wrist injury and stress. (I've also been sidetracked by a sudden obsession with the X-Wing Miniatures Game.)

I've been trying to make progress on my Children of December Malifaux crew, but due to some serious painter's block, I haven't been able to push past my anxiety to work on Rasputina, who is at least half-finished.

Thanks to Shoshie Bauer with a great post on FB about painting and stuff kicking around in my head from watching Ben Komets / Painting Buddha's X-Wing Minis Millenium Falcon tutorial (https://youtu.be/ePsmY27mufo) recently, I actually just snuck in an hour or so of legit painting on Rasputina, some playing around with a fresh new wet palette (I normally use a well palette) and a bunch of stuff pulled from the videos mixed with my existing painting style.

I am pleased with the results -essentially from the hem of her coat down (legs as yet unpainted). I'm trying to get somewhat of a worn fabric look in Russian drab colors - oh, and she's also a cannibal. I plan on bumping up the shading contrast a bit more, taking it down to a purple tint to tie her in with the rest of the crew, but that's for later when the rest of her is done.

Feedback would be appreciated!

image_zpso7qvccu8.jpeg

image_zps0d6mik5z.jpeg

Edited by Tinweasel
  • Like 1

As a child of the '80s, I remember depictions of Soviet military uniforms either being a washed out beige, or this shade of muted deep green. Awesome color work. It reminds me of the original Red Dawn.

Thanks for the compliments! Was aiming for a washed-out Soviet green color exactly! The base color I'm using is Vallejo Model Color Soviet Uniform - figgered it would be cool for her outfit, especially painted up with patchy highlighting to look rough.

I'm going to do her breeches in a cooler grey-blue color, which I think should fit in with the rest of the crew nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

For the sake of making the best of a bad situation, I've chopped down an Ice Gamin to size and pinned him to a base. He already sheared off at the ankle where I pinned him to a resin base, and his icicle-wielding hand snapped off mid-forearm - all this after being primed and basically just needing a paint job.

Time being limited, I decided to use him cut down on the existing primed base with a few added bits of sprue "rubble" that when all's said and done, he hopefully looks like he's in the process of being "created" from snow and ice.

image_zpsfgxraffz.jpeg

Has anyone else done something like this?

• Like 1

So I managed to get a fair bit of work done on Rasputina today and took pictures to see if anything looked out of place. I've given up on the face, it is what it is.

I'm still playing around with using a wet palette and blending colors like in my previous post, only I've expanded it to the rest of the (I think mostly finished) figure.

raspy_wip3.pngraspy_wip4.png

Feedback would be appreciated!

• Like 2

Looks great Tinweasel. Feedback-wise if you feel it's worth it, and it depends how pale you want the face (a lot I guess as its Rasputina) you could give the face a thin wash with a darker flesh tone. Keep it thin so you can judge how much you like, then possibly just a bit of colour on the lips and cheeks....maybe a veeery slight hint of red to show she's chilly lol. 

But honestly if you are happy with it that's cool, she does look fantastic. Good work

• Like 1

I like the model and the colour palette you used. The icy chill comes through :)

I'd try to icrease the contrast on the face however, maybe it's my monitor but I can hardly distinguish the mourth from the rest of the face. Maybe some ink there? But overall, it is a really good looking model.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So Rasputina is still technically a work-in-progress from the standpoint that my current sealers aren't matte enough and I'm all outta DullCote - I want to lay that down before I apply the snow and ice effects.

That said, she is for all intents and purposes finished, and it's just her basing I need to add more onto.

This has been my first time doing serious work from a wet palette compared to my usual well palette use, but I like how smooth the transitions turned out on the "cape" part of her coat and elsewhere. I think I'm sold, and it makes for much faster painting - that said, there's still effects I can't do with a wet palette, so I'll probably use both techniques.

raspy_wip5.png

raspy_wip6.png

Edited by Tinweasel
Edit for accuracy
  • Like 5

Here's pictures of the theoretically finished Rasputina post-DullCote, with a few touch-ups with some Tamiya Red over existing stains, and with a minimum of processing.

I don't think there's any mistaking blood now. I still tried to keep it (vaguely) subtle, though.

Are the pictures better this go round? Is the gore over the top? I'm aiming for something "realistic" in terms of Rasputina's appearance and finish.

raspy_fin_front.png raspy_fin_lt.png raspy_fin_rt.png raspy_fin_back.png

• Like 4