They look really cool, I haven't seen anything like that before. I've led a sheltered life haha. When I saw the translucent crews I honestly wondered what you were supposed to do with them, but what you've done here is just cool.

Thanks! I thought I would just be assembling them, basing them and using them as-is. I thought the see-through pink was cool for The Dreamer's crew, as they're all imaginary. Wasn't until comments from my wife and seeing stuff on here that I thought I'd kick them up a notch.

So I've got "phase one" posted up above with just basic basing - "phase two" is turning out great and I'm really looking forward to posting them. I've got leaf litter, static grass, and a boundary line between Earthside and Malifaux for one figure and assuming everything goes well, I should have the other done tomorrow.

On 1/11/2015 at 5:41 AM, sigmar3 said:

Eagerly awaiting pictures then!

Still making the "barrier" for Daydream #2, but here's low-budget phone pictures of Daydream #1:

image_zps7957dbe0.thumb.jpg.7e5249ff6ee0794a95fdf0efc7b491e0.jpg

image_zps5a97754e.thumb.jpg.2c34c444837a269a0bdb1810006a3ff4.jpg

I need to rejigger my photo booth still, otherwise I'd have good pictures of my Ice Golem and soon of these guys. I'm working this afternoon, though...

Edited by Tinweasel
Replacing dead links with live pics
  • Like 1

Tinweasel,

The Ice golem is breath taking, I am in awe at how cool it is. The ice effect around it's fist and feet is one of the coolest effects I have ever seen done. All in all totally awesome.

As for the daydreams, well I'm not a fan...sorry. You tried, but translucent models just cannot hold a candle to the colors and options of shading and hightlighting in paint. When you paint your other dreamer plastics they will blow the translucent models away. I like the 1/2 and 1/2 base idea. Guess I'm not a fan of translucent models.

Nighthater

• Like 1

On 1/14/2015 at 8:44 AM, NIGHTHATER said:

Tinweasel,

The Ice golem is breath taking, I am in awe at how cool it is. The ice effect around it's fist and feet is one of the coolest effects I have ever seen done. All in all totally awesome.

As for the daydreams, well I'm not a fan...sorry. You tried, but translucent models just cannot hold a candle to the colors and options of shading and hightlighting in paint. When you paint your other dreamer plastics they will blow the translucent models away. I like the 1/2 and 1/2 base idea. Guess I'm not a fan of translucent models.

Nighthater

Wow, thanks for the compliments! Yeah, I'd never played around with a basing medium like crushed glass before, so I figgered I'd see how far I could push it and give some excitement to a figure where it looks to me like he's slamming his fist into the ground. I plan on doing the rest of the crew with the theme that they're "bringing winter with them when they come" so that's why I wanted city bases where I could get creative with the snow; here's hoping they all turn out nice.

I'd sorta agree with you re: the translucents (I'm biased 'cause I like the way these first two have turned out), but I never intended them as anything more than a "quickly done and ready to play" set from the get-go. I don't have to paint them, the washes were an afterthought, and the basing is an experiment in a "split environment" theme. Since it takes me (usually) forever to paint stuff and I'm really geeked about Malifaux, at least this way I can have a crew done reasonably quick that I love the fluff for even if I'm working on a few other painted crews in the background.

Glad you like the bases, those are the real focus IMO. The translucents are what they are, but at least my wife can no longer complain that they're undefined blobs of pink. 8^)

(I'm hoping Lord Chompy Bits turns out awesome, translucent plastic or no - I love the model! Actually, I love 'em all...)

@ SC - The snow effect was gotten straight from Secret Weapon Miniatures (I'd highly recommend the product!):

https://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_reviews_info&products_id=106&reviews_id=4&zenid=2gh6e1ldf426pq0od2h3ikp9r3

I carried that over to my Daydreams for the "barrier between worlds" once I realized I could sculpt it and layer it the same way I use my other basing materials. Great stuff!

That said, I motivated myself tonight to taking good pictures of the finished Ice Golem:

IMG_1157.thumb.JPG.4b5e88d238057d8d0e6ab6c28405b214.JPG

IMG_1156.thumb.JPG.f04b8a00f2f11d0756e49482b7253761.JPG

IMG_1159.thumb.JPG.6e9548b38331e7a0d8c48ff01338ab7c.JPG

IMG_1158.thumb.JPG.b2e76a2b57a99ebdad06c2be3647d2e3.JPG

IMG_1160.thumb.JPG.9c99fefc0d93f2d951b9a31c60a2c409.JPG

One thing I really liked when laying down the snow effect was that it was translucent - a first layer I mixed with white paint to represent solid snow; the second layer I left as-is for fresher snow. The best thing about it, I think, is the seepage of the Realistic Water around the edges, which makes it look like meltwater esp. on the edges on the base and the low mound on the paving. I used a less "wet" mixture for the outward-exploding snow (mostly cemented clumps of the previous white paint mixture), and just gave it a light coat of paint-free mixture to even things out.

He's not a display piece IMO - I could've spent lots of hours on the ice crystal effect, say, and straight painted him entirely instead of using washes, but I was aiming ideally for speed. The most involved part was the highlighting and general tidying up. I really like how the eyes show up on the side-view pictures, since I used light flesh tone instead of white.

Comments and criticisms appreciated!

Edited by Tinweasel
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

So here's some my WIP stuff from my new workspace next to the couch. I had planned on finishing Rasputina for the Frozen Moments painting comp, but I ended up going into the hospital for about a week. Seeing as how I'm laid up on the couch mostly now w/ my knee all jacked up from a bacterial infection, and I'm good for just about bugger all else, I might as well prep and base figures.

Feel free to ask questions! (I have diabolical plans...)

image_zps1ac8e1c7.thumb.jpg.c8406f68478cc572a5796c46cae22e40.jpg

Edited by Tinweasel
  • Like 1

Man you are a talented painter. I am really digging what you are doing with the Translucent. But you really shine when you fully paint the models that Ice Golem must be the best I've seen. Looking forward to seeing more from this thread!

Thanks a lot! Makes me feel good that people appreciate the extra work I'm trying to put into them. I was hoping to enter Rasputina into the Frozen Moments competition, but had some mistakes where I overdid a few areas and then had to go back and try to recover... and then I ended up in the hospital for a week due to a knee infection. I'm mostly laid up at home right now, so prepping figures or working on the translucent ones is about all I can do at the moment. I've got all the Children of December primed and based, though, so really it's just a matter of making it down the basement stairs and being able to rest my leg - the other ones I can do from the couch and watch tv and such.

More will be forthcoming... Soon.

Okay, so this literally the first planned sculpting I've done in, like, 5 years at least. Can anyone tell what it is?

Meanwhile, Monsieur Coppelius is looking suave in his evening wear.

image_zpse1f9c82c.thumb.jpg.93cd350a9d51510c35dbb6fdd3f74e6f.jpg

Not sure if anyone would notice, but his right face tentacle (our left) is not the original one from the model. I was trying to fix the join where his hips fit into a socket under his coat and it wasn't until later I realized I must have snapped most of his tentacle off. Damned if I could find it!

I took a curved piece of the translucent pink sprue, filed the front length of that to a similar shape; used my tri-square hobby file and a mold line scraper to gouge the "segments" into it; a few indentations drilled on the underside with a fine drill bit to match the sucker holes. I then cut the non-tapered sprue section off and glued the new tentacle in place. After color-matching the wash and shading, I think it's reasonably indistinguishable as an imposter.

Edited by Tinweasel

I honestly didn't see the difference.

Is that a bag of eyes?

It's for the Earthside half of the base, so I actually sculpted it as a mostly-empty bag of marbles. But, yeah, that's the overall "theme." I wanted to have a spilled bag of marbles on the Earthside half of the base of a Nightmare who collects eyes. I've got a lot more of the beads to have scattered loose across the wood planking.

I'm glad my limited sculpting experience gets the concept across, though - that it's at least recognizable. Cheers!

Still very much a work-in-progress, but here's what I've done so far on Coppelius. I was hoping to have everything with him finished by the end of this month, but free time being what it is... I got the basing as far along as I could get it for A Wyrd Place on Facebook's "February Basing Competition" before running out of time. Everything needs to be sealed in order to put down the leaf litter and static grass, which was one problem. And lots of teeny marbles to paint would be the second issue.

Anyways, here's some pictures:

IMG_1224.thumb.JPG.609192b158c7d3620b971622804cfb1f.JPG

IMG_1270.thumb.JPG.6a68bbb82b27c18e3217c64b5b81ba56.JPG

IMG_1802.thumb.JPG.347ce199f35ac02b0397aa1d5684d4ef.JPG

Edited by Tinweasel
  • Like 2

Maybe a few, yeah. I'm not trying to spend a ton of time painting up marbles for a base, but I've had suggestions for swirl-patterned ones, cat's eye ones, a larger "shooter" marble, and sneaking an eyeball in.

I'm using as a reference picture a bag of marbles from the Australian Children's Folklore Collection (Green Cloth Bag for Marbles), which dates back to the 1870's - http://museumvictoria.com.au/collections/itemimages/254/551/254551_large.jpg

I also have my own reference pic: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/bwride/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps4wombutp.jpg

It wouldn't be the first time I've painted glass effects:

IMG_1880.thumb.JPG.b6610523eac8a745c3db7a78e4fca233.JPG

I'm just trying to have a little fun with the Coppelius' base, since the whole point of my doing these translucent figures is that I can get them playable quicker. I already have a regular plastic "Hide and Seek" set that I plan on giving the full treatment to - I just want something to actually game with in a reasonable amount of time as I'm generally a slow-ish painter.

Edited by Tinweasel
  • Like 1