Hello from Michigan!

Tinweasel

First post on the forums!

I got hooked on Malifaux at GenCon in 2013 through a demo game, only just getting around to painting up the Children of December as my first crew. I don't really have any local gaming stores so it's mostly just myself and family trying to get into the game. I love the fluff, love the feel of the game, and  love the new plastic figures - just getting in on 2E for me is perfect timing, apparently.

Malifaux aside, I picked up mini painting again in 2005 after about a 14 year break and have won a few awards for painting (not at Gencon, that'll be a big work in progress...) but gave up on ever getting a painted army of my own for Warhammer 40K so figgered a smaller skirmish game would be perfect from a painting standpoint. I look to be posting stuff I've done, but I'm trying to get a hobby area together again following a recent move - also a big work in progress.

Anyhow, hello!

[Edit]Forgot to mention, I stay/would be able to play in northern Detroit suburbs area...[/Edit]

Edited by Tinweasel

I live a little ways north of Detroit - I've been to Pandemonium before, but it's about an hour drive from where I stay. Wixom's likely about the same distance, unfortunately. There's a few game stores in the somewhat general vicinity (that I'm familiar with), but none that I'm aware have regular Malifaux play - mostly Magic or maybe Warmachine.

I used to go to RIW Hobbies in Livonia years ago and the old Games Workshop store in Novi (long closed) for Warhammer 40K, but that doesn't help me much now.

Anyone familiar with any stores north of Detroit?

I was. Im from Detroit originally. I think I might remember you. Did you paint a skaven warlord that was on display for a little In the GW store in Rochester?

Its south of it But the Guild of Blades just moved to Clawson and their store was amazing when they had a smaller space so its hot to be even better after the move.

• Like 1

I think I might remember you. Did you paint a skaven warlord that was on display for a little In the GW store in Rochester?

Its south of it But the Guild of Blades just moved to Clawson and their store was amazing when they had a smaller space so its hot to be even better after the move.

Wow, yeah, that's me! Small world...

After the GW Novi store closed, I went to the Rochester one for a bit and painted up the Skaven Warlord - ended up taking it back home and reworking it more and won a Bronze Demon at the 2008 Chicago Golden Demon competition.

This guy: IMG_1079_zpsc9d9e21c.jpg

I pretty much stopped going to GW Rochester after all the staff changeovers and it became a one-person shop. Trying to give Malifaux a go now, seems a little more my style with the smaller required number of figures to play.

I'd been to the old Guild of Blades and had bought a metal Lilith boxed set from them with the wife - had no idea they'd moved. It was close to where our new house is at, but looking up the new location it's only about 10 miles away - still a lot shorter drive than anywhere else in the area. So I know they have/had Malifaux there, but do they have dedicated gaming?

Unknown. My family still lives in the area, so I get home for holidays, although with a newborn that may be more difficult now.

I remember you because I have a Skaven army and met you when you were dropping off the warlord for that months painting competition. Thought is was very well done.

I left after I got married, went to grad school and got a job in Mississippi. If you see looking for regular groups playing Malifaux, Cheated Fates Joe is a well known Henchman in the Detroit area, Michigan has alot of players which is lucky for you, Closest store to me here is 1 1/2 hours away.:/

Welcome to Malifaux!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Still haven't had a chance to make it up to the new Guild of Blades, but from their website they don't have any dedicated days for Malifaux - only place that seems to is RIW Hobbies on Tuesdays. I'm working on my first crew now, been hoping to practice the game a little with my wife and/or daughter, but no luck.

I think I remember talking to you when I first brought in the Skaven, yeah. Doubt I'd be able to pick you out of a crowd, as my memory is poop, but still, it's a small world! (Now I just need to find some local Makifaux players...)

Thanks for the welcome, too! Now that I've got a full crew prepped and pinned and primed, I'm loving the look of them on bases. Can't wait to get back to painting again, work/family schedule permitting.

• 2 weeks later...

RIW is all Warmahordes on Tuesdays and some random Magic folks. There is no more Malifaux there. :(

Bummer. I managed to make it out to Guild of Blades Retail at their new Clawson location, and they don't even have any of their Malifaux stock out - granted, it's all 1st Ed. but still.. Was told they don't have any dedicated game days and while there's "been people asking about it," they apparently have no plans on stocking up on anything 2E or having game days unless there's "more interest."

Now that I'm starting to paint up a crew, I wish I knew where I could play the game at with people other than my 10y/o daughter. Heh. Much as I'd love to sit around random hobby stores 45 mins-to-an-hour away, I just don't have the time with a full-time job and family - lucky to even carve out hobby time.

If you use to go to GW in Novi, Flatland Games is only two exits further west on I-96 and then only about half a mile north of the freeway.

Well, when you put it that way... it was about an hour drive for me to the old GW Novi, depending on traffic. Does Flatland in Wixom have "regular" Malifaux gaming besides Wednesday nights? (Crazy work schedule and family and all that...)

I have one figure of a crew box painted and based, the rest primed and based, and nil experience with the game outside of a demo at GenCon 2 years ago - should I have everything painted, or are primed-only figures not a faux pas? (It's a 25SS crew as-is or I could swing 30SS with an upgrade or two?)

• 1 month later...

I went to Pandemonium today and there was no one :(

Are flatland games and shenanigans the only place to play?

I'm from Westland area

I heard there were a few there earlier around 4:30ish. If not, we can move our Downriver group to Pande on Monday's if you're looking for more folks, or come down to Shenanigans on Sundays. :P We're always there for sure since its 5min drive.

Though I do wanna get a consistent group for Pande on Monday's going. :P

Ah I didn't get there till around 5:30

Yes that would be awesome!

RIW used to be my go-to place,

but they don't do Malifaux anymore for some reason

I was there to buy a wave 2 book but they were all gone

Apparently there was 4 new players who bought a bunch of stuff the other day

Ah I didn't get there till around 5:30

Yes that would be awesome!

RIW used to be my go-to place,

but they don't do Malifaux anymore for some reason

I was there to buy a wave 2 book but they were all gone

Apparently there was 4 new players who bought a bunch of stuff the other day

A few of us will definitely be there at Pande next Monday around 5 to play, hopefully some of them new folks come around too. :P

• 1 month later...

So I found a local store - Eternal Games in Warren, MI - but the only problem is while they can order Malifaux from several suppliers, have lots of open space, and have some good, friendly staff... they are mostly a MtG and board game store looking to diversify into other stuff.

Any suggestions on where to go from here? I contacted staff at Wyrd about how one might go about "developing" a store, but I neither have 2 painted crews nor a "sales pitch" persona to even pretend to Henchman aspirations just yet - I'm an Aspie, go figger.

Suggestions, comments, anyone near a northern Detroit suburb who also plays?