SpiralngCadavr

Hi all, just finished my second big tactics article, this time on Mei. 

Starting off...

In keeping with aggressive pose, Mei Feng is a powerhouse and anchor of her crew, which I quite enjoy, as I tend towards support commanders, so I'm very much in to the idea of a strong commander who can still run support a little.

She's got a bit of an odd character because, while she's a bouncing death ball and has some useful defensive support, it's her Henchman, Kang, who brings more of the power and offensive support to the crew.

Link to the main article

What do you think of Samurai in a Mei Feng TT crew? I was planning on trying it out on the basis of good gun, good melee, decent survival (armor with either 9 wounds or no damage from gun). I was thinking of using the Wind upgrade as well to push them into gun range (allowing two shots or focus + 1 shot) or out of melee.

• Like 1

Thanks, all.

Pyr, I think that you could run them under cover of Vent Steam pretty effectively (also alleviating one of the biggest weakness of their WP vulnerability since spells are weaker too). I've actually been looking at the option of running her with a core of a turtled ranged crew with her as a deterrent/protection against engaging in melee.

Lunar, one copy-paste error, one brain error ;). Good catch, fixed.

You write that Emberling | Fan the Flames aids the Rail Golem, how? It doesn't increase burning on constructs.

Are you arguing that if a blast generating attack targets a Rail Worker that declares Metal on Metal it will reduce the damage taken by everyone affected by the blast?

• Like 1

Hateful, yeah, I'd like to refine the article a bit more (still need more experience and want to iron stuff out), but I'll keep that in mind.

Bengt, Fan the Flames was an error from when I misread the card, thought I'd corrected that already, and it is now.

And yes, unless I'm misinterpreting it, it seems like the language states that incidental damage is weakened. Otherwise, I can't figure out why it has different language than every other instance of damage reduction I've looked at (which refer to the damage a model suffers, while Metal on Metal refers to the damage the attack causes).

EDIT: just did a text search of the wave 2 beta files. The only only other references to damage caused are:

-stuffed piglet: damage flips caused by (modify the attack)

-a few "immune to damage caused by blast/AOE/condition" sorts of things

I also did a text search of the wave 1 cards, I don't have the final version, but cross-referenced these with the rulebook and the only earlier instances there were:

-ototo, rail worker (also on its 0): damage flips caused by (modify the attack)

-mcmourning/upgrade, hard worker: damage caused by (modifies the attack to ignores abilities)

-again, some "immune to damage caused by"

The instances all modify the attacks, except those that specifically state a model ignores the damage. 

• Like 1

Well we do know that they sometimes write the same thing differently because of different people at different times and so on, so I don't think there necessarily needs to be a reason for it being worded differently. That said, I agree that the text as written can mean what you say, but, and this is a big "but" for me, I think the ability to protect other models in that way is a bit out of the ordinary and would be stated more explicitly if it was intended.

• Like 1

Quick comment about Scalding breath, it's a lot more powerful than it seems. Remember, it has an autoburning +1 on every model damaged, so it's effectively weak damage 3 with blast damage of 3 when you get it if you don't require instant death, requires a lot less flipping to plant damage than to try and go for the tremors trigger constantly, which is very important when you need to pile on damage without playing with the fickle gods (hell focus plus scald has saved my ass a few times and scalding barrage with Recalled Training is pure pain), it has her highest attack stat at a mighty 7 and probably the most important part of all, it gives her a 3" melee combat action that doesn't force you to push around, giving you absolute flexibility to kick, or blow boiling steam depending on where you need to be at a given moment.

Basically, I love me some scalding breath and it's my first upgrade with Mei Feng.

• Like 1

Hm I know this thread is in the 10t forum but speaking of scalding breath - I've found the Arcanist's Arcane Effigy can help make Mei even more effective by giving her Arcane radiance, so every attack she makes has a chance to put out even more burning. Suddenly her Tiger's claws with Superheated do 2/4/5 +2 burning (opponent's will rarely discard a card to avoid 1 burning) and her scalding breath doues 2/2/4 +2 burning to everything hit. It's also a quick, cheap, resilient construct with companion. It's pretty awesome.

• Like 1

There've been a few discussions about this... It could easily be something unintended, and something I probably wouldn't use in a friendly game, but until it's ruled otherwise or there's some strong evidence against it being used that way, I'll be leaving it in the article.

However, I'm marking this and the metal on metal trigger in the article as under discussion until they get a clear ruling.

Other effects can stack but the specific example in the rulebook lists them as coming from separate sources.  I can't see how she can have the same aura up multiple times.

The default is that non-conditions stack, exceptions listed in the box on p53. It doesn't say anything about them having to come from different sources.

Scalding Breath is also yummy if you expect incorporeal enemies. :P

• Like 1

Other effects can stack but the specific example in the rulebook lists them as coming from separate sources.  I can't see how she can have the same aura up multiple times.

There've been a few discussions about this... It could easily be something unintended, and something I probably wouldn't use in a friendly game, but until it's ruled otherwise or there's some strong evidence against it being used that way, I'll be leaving it in the article.

However, I'm marking this and the metal on metal trigger in the article as under discussion until they get a clear ruling.

It has been ruled otherwise. Or at least an interpretation that was confirmed:- http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/102148-aura-stacking/.

Essentially stacking is default *unless* a mechanic matches the rulebook statements that prevent stacking. It doesn't, so it stacks.

On another note Scalding Breath is excellent for use with the Rail Golem. Target the Golem, cheat down to medium blast, give the Golem +1 burning for one dmg and 2 dmg +1 burning to stuff around him. Obviously if you are playing Arcanists this will become +2 burning. 

Also (and I know it was only your opinion!) I would say that Ten Thunders have the stronger upgrades, especially now with wave 2. In wave 1, Misdirection in addition to Leap Aside make her virtually impossible to put down (although watch out for attacks that prevent defensive triggers). Wave 2 has the stupidly good On Wings of Wind and finally Blot the Sky + Vent Steam + Archers is a wall of total pain.

Great article btw!