A beginner's guide to plastic modeling

dgraz

For tools I also have a cutting mat, a hand held vacuum and lots of #11 blades (micromark sells 100 packs).

I swap blades pretty often, but I keep a few dulled blades around. When scraping plastic the sharpness of the blade, the angle you hold it and the concavity of the surface gives different results. I would recommend experimenting. :P Note that a blade that has been worn on metal models often has tiny nicks that scratches plastic, a blade worn on plastic is usually just dull.

After assembly I wash the models with dishwashing liquid, water and a soft toothbrush (they are so useful!).

• Like 3

These are excellent tips, Dgraz and Bengt - thank you for posting them. Some of them I'd already utilized in the past, but as of less than a month ago miniature plastic model assembly was completely new to me (I'm an old hand at metal minis, but more on that another time).

Two items I will absolutely swear by now, for plastic mini assemblage, are Tamiya Extra Thin Cement and Mr. Hobby Mr. Dissolved Putty. The former not just for the quality of the cement itself but also for the marvelous little applicator brush that comes attached to the lid. And for the latter? All I can say is Mr. Hobby, where have you been all my life?! It's AMAZING on those exposed seam gaps, and easily sandable for multiple applications if needed.

Once again, let me say how much I am enjoying these forums. I've found so much help here, and much inspiration for improving (much needed!) my modeling and painting skills. Thanks Malifolks!  :)

- Nikko

• Like 2

Great little guide for the new modeler.

I would offer into the tools section a pin vise (small hand manipulated drill) and bits.  Several times I've had to use one to widen out socket holes (Student of Conflict's braid, Howard Langston's back tenticles) in plastics.  And if you have to do a metal (not in the scope of this article, I know) there's pinning which is much more common.

I would also offer into the assembly section to use the assembly instructions and the 3D render on the back of the product boxes.  Wyrd kits don't have part numbers and being able to look at the finished product (back of the box) have helped me immensely through the many builds.  My first kit was Lady Justice herself and it took me a solid 30 minutes to figure out how the greatsword sheath attached to Justice...looking at the box for reference helped me finish the job. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

After assembly I wash the models with dishwashing liquid, water and a soft toothbrush (they are so useful!).

I would also offer into the assembly section to use the assembly instructions and the 3D render on the back of the product boxes.  

I added some info about these things into the main body of the post.

I also added a tip about basing a plastic model on a scenic base.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Good advice, but doesn't resolve the issue that the assembly of Wyrd miniatures is absolutely, god-hatingly horrible. 9 pieces on a gremlin for a miniature that is no bigger than 1.5" tall is absolutely ludicrous. The software they're using to break the miniatures up into these tiny pieces is horrendously flawed.

• Respectfully Disagree 1

• 6 months later...

Excellent advice.
But 1 thing could make things even easier: an animated version of the 3D render.

It could be something simple as an animated gif with the 3D model turning on its base. A much improved version could be that you are able to spin/zoom in/zoom out the render on your screen in all direction.

I recently build the Hodgepodge emissary and sometimes I had to guess where and how I could fit parts as the assembly guide was unclear and the parts were hidden behind on the 3D render picture.

• Agree 2

• 9 months later...
16 hours ago, Just Jest said:

Any advice on filling in gaps or seams? I worry about overfilling and ruining details
Or do people generally not bother if they're not planing on entering the mini in any painting contests?

Milliput (yellow/grey). After mixing, let it set for 30 minutes. You can roll it very thin. As it is water solutionalbe you can wipe the excess of. Or you mix it directly with a little water (blob on the table, small hole and stirring with a waterers old brush) and "paint" it over the gap. I also recommend a small clay shaper.

Usually the gaps with wyrdy miniatures shpudn't be too big. So most of the times you can put some teick varinsh over the gap and wait for it to dry and level itself during the process.

If you search on YouTube you should find some tutorials by Vince Venturella or Marco Frisoni (and others).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Very helpful read... I was wondering though if anyone had advice on putting together large armies of guys all at once. 

I get the assembly line idea, and I use the testor's cement in the red tube... but I tend to find that holding them for 20 seconds isn't really enough to let go, especially with something that has the ability to slip a little. I have the Citadel base holder with the arms and can use that to hold the piece in place while it gets really solid, but then I can only do one at a time (or spend three thousand dollars on more Citadel products lol (not an option))... Just been having an issue with keeping arms on recently and thought maybe someone around here had a trick up their sleeve... 

Thanks! 

M. 

15 hours ago, Merideth said:

Very helpful read... I was wondering though if anyone had advice on putting together large armies of guys all at once. 

I get the assembly line idea, and I use the testor's cement in the red tube... but I tend to find that holding them for 20 seconds isn't really enough to let go, especially with something that has the ability to slip a little. I have the Citadel base holder with the arms and can use that to hold the piece in place while it gets really solid, but then I can only do one at a time (or spend three thousand dollars on more Citadel products lol (not an option))... Just been having an issue with keeping arms on recently and thought maybe someone around here had a trick up their sleeve... 

Thanks! 

M. 

The best I can offer is plan ahead. if you can only hold 1 model and want to leave them there, try and plan efficient use of the other time, prehaps glue feet to bases on other models, or waists to feet, basically anything that is a naturally more stable join.   

On 5/19/2023 at 2:42 AM, Adran said:

The best I can offer is plan ahead. if you can only hold 1 model and want to leave them there, try and plan efficient use of the other time, prehaps glue feet to bases on other models, or waists to feet, basically anything that is a naturally more stable join.   

The armies I have been trying to put together are for my husband's War Machine game, and honestly I am starting to think that I just need to start modifying them, adding posts or something to their arms, they just won't stay together well... but we'll keep experimenting. Thanks for the advice! Maybe someday I'll get through this army, or... maybe I'll keep getting distracted by other things lol 

M.