The Amazing Adventures of Slow Growing Guild McMourning in Helsinki

Math Mathonwy

Sounds like a terrific game.  You certainly seem to be able to get Nurses to perform to their fullest potential; I'm amazed that anyone among your gaming group could underestimate them after the damage they cause.  Having played the game, do you think that Bodyguard was still the right choice?  Obviously you won so in that regard it was fine, but considering the damage applied to the Mature Nephilim in turn two it could be that Assassinate was not so hard as you'd originally planned.

I'm particularly amazed that you can write such detailed and entertaining reports without taking notes or photos.  I started out just doing these things from memory (way back playing Warhammer Fantasy Battle) but I was concerned that I was writing down things the way I remembered them, rather than the way they actually were.

• Like 1

Sounds like a terrific game.  You certainly seem to be able to get Nurses to perform to their fullest potential; I'm amazed that anyone among your gaming group could underestimate them after the damage they cause.  Having played the game, do you think that Bodyguard was still the right choice?  Obviously you won so in that regard it was fine, but considering the damage applied to the Mature Nephilim in turn two it could be that Assassinate was not so hard as you'd originally planned.

One problem with Assassinate would've been that then Paralyzing Lilith would've been counterproductive (since it heals her to full). I was also afraid of committing McM to killing her since I was worried that my opponent would have Assassinate as well.

Now, Francisco and The Judge are certainly powerful enough to kill Lilith but they aren't fast enough to catch her if she decides to hide. And since she doesn't require LOS, she can use her abilities from safety is she feels threatened.

Bodyguard meant that The Judge didn't do much but OTOH I needed someone to do the Strategy (so it might as well be the premiere 9SS beatstick, right?).

Bodyguard was probably the safer choice while Assassinate would've been more risky but could've won me the game way more handsomely had it worked out.

I'm particularly amazed that you can write such detailed and entertaining reports without taking notes or photos.  I started out just doing these things from memory (way back playing Warhammer Fantasy Battle) but I was concerned that I was writing down things the way I remembered them, rather than the way they actually were.

There are most likely some mistakes there. Like maybe it was Francisco who fluffed an attack and Sebastian who gave the Cursed Object and not the other way around but the important bits should be mostly correct. I do write these when I get home after the game (well, this one was so long that I had to finish it on a coffee break the next day at work but it was mostly done) so things are still fresh in my mind.

But I wouldn't be able to maintain this level of detail over a tournament's worth of games.

I should try to take photos of the game, though, definitely, just to enliven the reports if nothing else.

• 2 weeks later...

Grand Finale

Through a strange twist of fate, I ended up facing Lilith and Varhaisdementia once again. This was because we were highest ranked non-organizers since one of our top contenders (playing Viks) vanished.

This, however, suited me perfectly because our last outing would’ve most likely resulted in a draw if the extra turn that we flipped would’ve been played so it was good to have proper closure.

We flipped Squatter’s Rights again with Assassinate, Distract, Plant Evidence, Entourage and ALitS in the Scheme pool.

I, somewhat unimaginatively, went with the exact same crew as last time. I do like the composition of this crew as it can do all sorts of things. The one thing missing from it, speed, is something that I don’t own Guild minis for so really couldn’t be helped. Brutal Effigy would also be a lovely addition but I don’t own that either.

McMourning with Badge of Office, On the Clock, and Plastic Surgery

Sebastian with Lead Lined Coat

Francisco with Wade In

The Judge

Two Nurses

Witchling Stalker

Zombie Chihuahua

6 pool

My opponent adjusted his upgrades a bit and replaced one Tot with a Young but he simply doesn’t own minis other than the Lilith starter and the Nephilim box.

Lilith with Beckon Malifaux, Living Blade, and Wicked Mistress

Barbaros with Nephilim Gladiatus and Rapid Growth

Mature Nephilim

Two Young Nephilim

Two Terror Tots

Cherub

5 pool

I took Assassinate figuring that I would try to kill Lilith this time using my army of Henchmen and McMourning himself and announced Plant Evidence since the battlefield had a good amount of terrain that was just just beyond the central line.

My opponent took Distract and announced Entourage with Lilith.

Uh-oh. Assassinate against Entourage - this game would be decided on whether Lilith lives of dies, basically. I was also worried that he took Assassinate as well so I needed to play a bit conservatively with McM.

Though, in hindsight, with Assassinate against Entourage nothing else really matters - unless one of use flunks the Strategy utterly but with Squatter’s that isn’t very likely. I sort of understood it at the time but not quite crystal clearly.

I just got off bragging that I remember what happens without taking notes so Karma hit me back and I have to admit that I’m not 100% about everything. Especially activation order might be skewed since there were kinda two frays happening and I’m not quite sure about the order everything happened between them. I’m also not quite sure what the Tots did each round but I’m pretty sure I’m 90% accurate.

The battlefield’s most notable features were a fence slowing me from getting the the leftmost Squat Marker, a forest slowing Varhaisdementia from getting to the next Squat marker, a ruins with Ht 2 walls just to the right of the center Marker with some Ht 2 boxes near it on my side. Then there were lots of buildings and boxes and forests around that didn’t play a large part.

Turn 1

The usual.

On my side, Nurse gave McM Poison and Francisco gave him El Mayor. McM, Sebastian, Chihuahua and Francisco advanced somewhat to the right of the center with the Nurse trailing behind a bit. Judge, Nurse and Stalker took the left of the center and advanced.

The Cherub and two Tots ran to the Left, Barbaros, Young and Mature came down the center and into the edge of the woods.

Lilith advanced into the ruins in the center and Varhaisdementia told how much he hated the dog and that he likely will draw a Black Joker when targeting it. Lilith throws down some forests to block the way to the central Squat Marker and then lures the doggy. Doggy is lured and hits the walls of the ruins but Lilith flips a Black Joker on damage so the Chihuahua is only Slowed.

McM pushes on top of the right-most Squat Marker.

Turn 2

Things get more interesting. I get Black Joker into my hand, which is nice.

I don’t actually remember which one of us won Initiative but Varhaisdementia went first. He moved Cherub to the center close to the central left Squat Marker and Accompliced a Tot to sprint to the left-most Marker to Squat it.

I look at my Judge and think that I need to activate him, move in to kill the Cherub and get the Squat Marker inside my 2” melee range to stop Barbaros or Young from activating it but making sure to not enter the forest so the Young can’t charge me.

I decide to activate the Nurse on the right and move her behind some boxes and do nothing with her second AP.

Barbaros moves in and in Cherub’s Aura Squats the Marker.

o_O

I’m completely dumbstruck. I saw that happening and I saw how I could counter it yet decided to do something completely irrelevant. WTH?

Well, I decide to repair the situation by moving Judge into melee with the Cherub. I also move into the forest to be in BtB with the Squat Marker. I Stone for a Ram and cheat a high card so that only Red Joker can save the Cherub. Varhaisdementia cheats in a Red Joker and saves the Cherub.

Young Nephilim charges The Judge since I am now just inside the forest.

o_O!!

I… I don’t know what to say.

The Young gives The Judge some beating but luckily hits only weak damage twice and pushes him back.

I paralyze the Young with my Nurse as punishment but fail to do anything meaningful to Barbaros.

Lilith activates and again the dog is mentioned as an object of utter loathing. The poor Chihuahua is rooted and McM is lured twice with the second one succeeding in propelling him into the ruin wall giving him slow and minimal damage.

Witchling Stalker charges the Young Nephilim but fails in doing anything. He hasn’t really been shining.

Mature flaps over near to the ruin and Wing buffets the Chihuahua who dies due to rooted damage.

McM Poison pushes due to Sebastian and Squats succesfully the rightmost marker.

The other Young moves up and Distracts the Witchling Stalker with Cherub’s (0) Interact.

Sebastian moves to the second rightmost Marker and Squats it.

As a final activation, Francisco gives the Nurse El Mayor, climbs over the wall of the ruins in the center and engages Lilith.

McM pushes towards the ruins to stand next to Sebastian and we both score for the Strategy.

Turn 3

I win Initiative and the Nurse behind the boxes climbs on top of them and Paralyzes Lilith. Lilith’s drug habit is really her main weakness.

Francisco Accomplices, El Mayors McM, and Flurries Lilith. My first attack misses and Lilith’s Df climbs. My second attack however hits and does four points of damage with Lilith preventing one. My third attack misses and then I forgot to put on the negative melee flips thingy. Oh well - I didn’t have bad cards in hand to discard anyway.

Mature charges Francisco and easily mauls him down to Hard to Kill. Ouch! Those things really hurt!

The other Nurse gives Meds to Barbaros giving him +2 Walk and limiting him to walking and Interacting. I’m not convinced that this is a good thing but it happens. At least he can’t challenge. She also tries to give Meds to the non-paralyzed Young but fails.

The Judge charges the Cherub, I cheat a high Rams and kill the little bugger with one hit. I also tie Barbaros into combat so he can’t get away too easily.

A Tot moves to engage the Nurse.

Stalker decides to show everyone how it is done and butchers the non-Paralyzed Young in two hits. Rargh!

Barbaros Distracts both the Judge and the Stalker and the second Tot engages Nurse and Distracts her.

When charging Francisco, Mature got into melee range of both McM and Sebastian due to him being Ht 3 and the wall in between being only Ht 2. McM focuses and hits with a Severe. Black Blood splashes on McM, Sebastian, and poor Francisco who dies. Sorry, pal! I miss my second attack.

Sebastian’s time to shine. He needs to hit once to get a second pip of Poison onto the Mature to doom him. Sebastian attacks, hits, and promptly gets a Red Joker splattering the Mature every which way. This means that I will get less damage from Black Blood, at least! With his second AP, Sebastian places a Scheme Marker to get started on Plant Evidence.

We both score for the Strategy and Varhaisdementia also scores for Distract.

Turn 4

Make or break time. I joke that I have two Soul Stones left so one for cards and one for the Initiative flip. I don’t need the cards, though, as I draw a really convincing hand featuring a twelve of Crows and a thirteen of Masks as well as eleven and twelve of Rams among other things. I threw away the Black Joker.

This Initiative is super important! I flip a four and Varhaisdementia flips an eight. I spend a Stone and get a ten. After quite a bit of pondering, Varhaisdementia decides to use his last Stone but gets a seven and I go first.

I activate the Nurse on the boxes and Paralyze Lilith with the twelve of Crows. Then I throw away a low Tomes and give Lilith +2 Armor and negative flips. Accomplice McM.

McM climbs over the ruin wall and charges Lilith. She’s at negatives to duels but flips very well getting a nine. I end up cheating an eleven to hit and, with the negative flip, get a Red Joker. Lilith dies.

I score two VP and my opponent can’t do Entourage anymore, which results in an effective five VP flip and seals the game for me.

After working on this report in the evening, I woke up last night and suddenly realized that Lilith should’ve been fully healed after the paralyze meds! Now, this wouldn’t really have changed anything since McM had one more strike left from the charge (and minimum damage coupled with Catalyst Poison would’ve been enough to kill Lilith) and Sebastian was also at hand to come hit Lilith and apply his Induction Aura. With Lilith at negative flips for Defense and me still holding one high card (a twelve or Rams) she surely would’ve perished. Still, I’m rather upset at myself for missing that and my sincere apologies to Varhaisdementia :(

On the other side of the board, Barbaros smacks Judge around and Pushes him into a Tot engaged with the Nurse. The Tot Pounces and drops Judge to his Hard to Kill. Barbaros yells out a Challenge.

The Judge moves a bit so as not to die to Black Blood from the Tot and then flips well for ignoring the Challenge and kills the Tot with the twelve of Rams.

The Tot fights the Nurse but doesn’t accomplish much. Stalker tries to hit the Young but Challenge foils him once and Young’s Df foils his other swing.

The Young kills the Stalker who explodes and kills The Judge as well as doing damage to Barbaros and the newly grown Mature.

The Nurse tries to give Barbaros some meds but doesn’t succeed.

Mature flaps towards McM and Sebastian.

Sebastian moves up and drops a Scheme marker.

Turn 5

I win Initiative and Paralyze the Mature. Who didn’t see that one coming?

Barbaros and the Tot orchestrate the killing of the Nurse on the left and the Tot grows.

McM and Sebastia move further dropping Scheme markers.

We flip for an extra turn but it was not to be. The game ends 9-5. McMourning is victorious

And I win the league - hooray!

Here’s my winning team, though Lawyer took the place of the Stalker since I had painted the Stalker before this league and this pic shows just the new stuff. Also shown is the problem of doing faction-specific basing schemes.

DSC_0113_zps742d7c82.jpg

The lighting is a bit harsh, for better pics of the Resser side, see my painting thread:

http://wyrd-games.net/community/topic/66013-my-resurrectionists-red-chapel-mostly/

• Like 2

Thank you for the kind words, everyone!

I hope to start a new thread once we get our next league going in the latter half of January. Plan is to go with an Arcanist Mei Feng.

Great report once again and congratulations on winning the league.  I hope this isn't going to be the last of your battle reports.  On Turn Two wouldn't have the Witchling Stalker have been better served removing Slow from McMourning (or was he not close enough?)?

Oh aye, he was too far away. I also had very few Tomes in hand the whole game. For some reason my hand was continually filled with Rams, Crows and the thirteen of Masks. Not complaining, mind!

• 2 weeks later...

It's nice to see the conclusion of this thread; congraulations on winning overall.  Once again the Nurse was your superstar against Lilith.  It was interesting that you chose to keep healing/paralysing her even though you were trying to kill her off, though of course it still worked out well for you.  Sweet painting as well.

• Like 1