The Amazing Adventures of Slow Growing Guild McMourning in Helsinki

Math Mathonwy

Thanks for the report, I like the little bit of fluff beforehand too.  I mis-read Vendetta before too and put it on Vik of Blood (because she can kill anything right?!) then realised you can't choose 0SS models for it (I'd even chosen the Vendetta against the Cerberus which was a decent target!).  All that paralysis is a little bit gross!

• Like 1

Thanks for the report, I like the little bit of fluff beforehand too.  I mis-read Vendetta before too and put it on Vik of Blood (because she can kill anything right?!) then realised you can't choose 0SS models for it (I'd even chosen the Vendetta against the Cerberus which was a decent target!).

In a game versus Molja I took Distract, which is one of my favourite Schemes that I tend to use a lot. I distracted one of his dudes and then at the end of the turn was utterly surprised that the Scheme needed two to be distracted. And this is a Scheme I have taken again and again! So yeah, happens to everyone.

All that paralysis is a little bit gross!

Agreed! I really can't blame Norjanpaavi for his reckless charge with Misaki since it was to kill a Nurse.

In a game versus Molja I took Distract, which is one of my favourite Schemes that I tend to use a lot. I distracted one of his dudes and then at the end of the turn was utterly surprised that the Scheme needed two to be distracted. And this is a Scheme I have taken again and again! So yeah, happens to everyone. Agreed! I really can't blame Norjanpaavi for his reckless charge with Misaki since it was to kill a Nurse.

And why didn't I finnish that nurse? I could do that easyly. What I was thinking? After all even changing all my Ronins to SS were stupid think to do. With them I could get few points from the strategy?

Seems like a pretty good game, even if mistakes were made (and anyway, the learning is one of the things I like most about wargaming).  Having two high Crows in hand on a turn when Norjanpaavi didn't have much to defend with is like living the Resurrectionist dream of course!

Wait wait wait - "Resurrectionist dream"? Just what are you implying here? McMourning saves lives! Often less skillfull doctors might declare someone dead but that's just their incompetence. I mean, look at the good doctor's pet chihuahua. Some jealous rivals have claimed that it is dead but it is just old and a bit... disheveled. Perfectly fine, really. And it's the same with many of McMourning's patients. You wouldn't believe how many patients that have been brought to the Morgue are actually just in a coma and are fine after some creative skillful surgery.

In other news, my next game will be a Reckoning against Ten Thunders Lynch. But that game is a bit ways off still since I'm super busy with work for this and the next week.

• Like 2

Wait wait wait - "Resurrectionist dream"? Just what are you implying here? McMourning saves lives! Often less skillfull doctors might declare someone dead but that's just their incompetence. I mean, look at the good doctor's pet chihuahua. Some jealous rivals have claimed that it is dead but it is just old and a bit... disheveled. Perfectly fine, really. And it's the same with many of McMourning's patients. You wouldn't believe how many patients that have been brought to the Morgue are actually just in a coma and are fine after some creative skillful surgery.

I think you forgot the Lawyer.. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"He did what?!" McMourning was furious.

"He called him a mangy mutt," Sebastian said.

"No one calls my Chihuahua a mutt! There will be blood. There will be a reckoning. I will blow them to bits. I know just the guy who is super good with explosives! Call him immediately."

"Papa Loco? A great choice!"

"Papa-who? I meant the Judge. Call him!"

A Reckoning against Ten Thunders Lynch with ALitS, Plant Explosives, Bodyguard, Distract, and Deliver a Message in the pool. I really don't like Distract in Reckoning, Deliver a Message can be tricky against Lynch who likes to keep his distance and ALitS is always a lot to do - especially with an elite crew suitable for a Reckoning. So I took Plant Explosives (very nice with McM) and Bodyguard on Sebastian.

My list was

McMourning with Badge of Office, On the Clock and Plastic Surgery this time

Sebastian with Lead Lined Coat

Francisco with Wade In

The Judge

Two Nurses

Zombie Chihuahua

6 pool

Three Henchmen, two Nurses and a dog.

Against me was arrayed

Lynch with Wanna See a Trick and Sunrise

Huggy with Recalled Training and Addict

Fuhatsu with Recalled Training

Two Illuminated

Yin with Favor of the Dragon (the +1 Wp -thingy that allows you to discard Scheme markers)

7 pool

He deployed Fuhatsu on a rooftop and the rest of the models behind the house. I deployed to the other end. At the center was a house and another one on my flank at his side of the board. Then there was lots of other terrain that didn't affect anything.

First turn. He activates an Illuminated, moves and drops a Scheme marker. I'm wondering what on earth. I pump McMourning with four Poison. He activates Yin, moves and drops a Scheme marker. I'm flabbergasted. I move with Judge and push the activated Nurse. He activates the other Illuminated, moves and drops a Scheme marker.

What??? OK, these are there to discourage me from coming over since he has Plant Explosives? What am I to do?

I move up, he climbs Fuhatsu to get a commanding view of the battlefield, Lynch does some cards manipulation and drop a Scheme marker.

Second turn, he goes Defensive Stance mostly, dropping a few counters. I move up but keep away from Fuhatsu's range. I don't want to get into range to do anything since Fuhatsu and Lynch can blow me to bits and Illuminated are frigging scary! And there's LOS blocks to hide behind except from the Fuhatsu at his Ht 5 perch.

Third turn, he wins inititiave, does the same and I do the same. The models stare at one another. Huggy and one Illuminated are behind the central house now having pooped Scheme Markers behind them. The other Illuminated is at the far side of the battlefield at the center line. Could he have taken ALiTS?!?

Fourth turn, the same mostly but Lynch and Yin also come behind the central house. I give The Judge El Mayor. Once only Huggy is left, I move up with The Judge. Huggy moves twice to engage the Judge. McMourning charges Huggy, hits it three times but damage prevention means that Huggy takes only damage and four Poison. McMourning Injects The Judge who moves up and plants Explosives for three VP from the Illuminated, Lynch and Yin (and maybe Fuhatsu as well - he was on a Ht 4 rooftop - can ground level explosives reach him? Not that it mattered).

We both reveal Bodyguard (me on Sebastian, him on Yin) and McMourning pushes away due to Plastic Surgery.

Fifth turn Huggy charges the Judge, Envelops him for five (prevented two damage (at :-fate:-fate:-fate:he flips only severes and moderates)) and Drains him (two damage but prevented both). Judge Focuses, Soulstones for a Ram and cheat an eleven of Rams to hit an Illuminated for eight damage. Fuhatsu sweeps at the Judge but randomizes to Lynch and flips a Black Joker. Lynch plays some kind of card games until Judge is at HtK threshold while Poisoned. Yin and Sebastian cross the center lines. Others shuffle.

Game ends. 6-3 to me.

He had Deliver a Message as his second Scheme but didn't realize how impossible it is against Plastic Surgery McMourning. And his tactic meant that I was super reluctant to engage, especially as I knew that, if needed, I could give Uppers to Francisco, push him with the Judge, move 14" and finally get Injected by McMourning for a grand total of 26" inches of movement with a Scheme Marker at the end. But I didn't need to go to that extreme, 15" from the Judge was enough.

OK. That was, by far, the weirdest Malifaux game I have ever played.

A Reckoning game where two models died.

"Well, that should learn them to disrespect my chihuahua! Say, I wonder what happened to the Judge after I injected him and there was the explosion?"

• Like 2

Also it would be amazing if someone played Lady Justice in this league and would play the next game without the Judge. :D 

"Sir.. Sir!" 

"What Sebastian what?! Quit interrupting my work!"

"It's the Lady.. She wants to talk to you.."

"About what?!"

"Well.. You haven't yet answered what happened to the Judge.. Sir.." 

"Wha.. Oh. Right.."

• Like 3

Nice game report.  Seems like a very odd game with not a lot happening!  Just got to dive forward with McMourning and get him chop chopping (I love him in Reckoning!).

Believe you me, going chop-chop was definitely my plan going in!

But Fuhatsu was unreachable on top of the building, Huggy doesn't give out Reckoning points, and Yin is really, really difficult to take down. So that left only the two Illuminated and Lynch (who also likes to hang back).

So getting Reckoning points seemed virtually impossible and meanwhile I knew that I could get six points very easily from the Schemes while my opponent getting six would be almost impossible if he followed his apparent plan of holding back.

• 4 weeks later...

Totally off topic, but I'm really excited that there's a malifaux scene in helsinki. Next time I go visit family there I'll have to bring my toys.

On topic: that sounds like a strange, strange battle. But I love how you guys are doing the battle reports, mixing in story elements and whatnot.

• Like 1

“We have some Squatter’s Rights to establish and your old rival Lilith is said to be making a move as well.” The Secretary was addressing McMourning.

“Lilith? But I turned her into hamburger?!”

“She got better.”

“Aw damn it. Call the Judge, I need him along.”

“Didn’t he explode? No, wait, let me guess, he got better? OK, but I want you to promise to keep him in one piece this time! Don’t let him access explosives.”

“Sure thing, sir. Oh, I got a whole shipment of really suspicious looking dolls. They were apparently dug up from an old burial ground or something. I think they belong to the Neverborn so I’m going to be giving them back. Though I will keep this one doll that looks like a red joker. I’m pretty sure that it will bring me good luck!”

A 50SS game of Squatter’s Rights with ALitS, Assassinate, Bodyguard, Cursed Object, and Take Prisoner in the Scheme pool. Standard Deployment.

My opponent was the same one as on the first round (the pairings went a bit strangely but we were both in the running for the first meaningful place in the league (meaningful since the organizers won’t be getting the prizes). He has had some great wins lately and has really upped his game. Even though he has played a total of one match outside of the league but he’s a veteran of other skirmish games and a great tactician.

The pool was rather challenging, I thought. Or rather, Cursed Object was a no-brainer but then the second one was really difficult for me to choose.

I don’t like Take Prisoner, especially against Lilith’s crew. Bodyguard is always risky and especially with Tangle Shadows on the table. Assassinate is tricky, especially since I know my opponent to be rather careful playing her.

After a quick consultation with my trusted Faux co-conspirator (I’ll give you a hint: his name begins with a Z and he’s known for his filthyness) I was still vacillating between Assassinate and Bodyguard but in the end opted for Bodyguard since The Judge is hardy and I was hoping to keep him to one side Squatting markers. He should make short work of Tots, at least.

My list was almost the same as last with just a Stalker making an appearance due to the higher points limit:

McMourning with Badge of Office, On the Clock, and Plastic Surgery

Sebastian with Lead Lined Coat

Francisco with Wade In

The Judge

Two Nurses

Witchling Stalker

Zombie Chihuahua

6 pool

My opponent brought

Lilith with Beckon Malifaux, Living Blade, and Wicked Mistress

Barbaros with Nephilim Gladiatus

Mature Nephilim with Rapid Growth

Young Nephilim

Three Terror Tots

Cherub

6 pool

We had the same number of models and I was really worried by the damage dealing aspects of the Nephilim crew and knew that Tots with Cherub will make for excellent Scheme runners.

In our previous game I managed to Paralyze Lilith for several turns and that sounded like a plan this time as well.

Turn 1

The usual jockeying for position. The Tots spread out with two on the left flank and one on the right. To the right went also Cherub and the Young. Mature flew straight on top of the middle Squat marker and Lilith and Barbaros took position behind a wall slightly to the right of center.

On my side Judge with one Nurse in tow challenged the two Tots on the left side while the rest of my crew advanced as more or less a single ball funneled by the terrain towards the center but somewhat to the left. A Nurse pumped McMourning with four Poison and Sebastian moved away with the Stalker shielding McM from Catalyst. McM took center position with the ability to Push into melee with the Mature if I win Initiative.

The only flips were Lilith trying to make life difficult for the good Doctor by placing the Illusionary Forest to shield Mature and then doing all sorts of nasty thing to the Doctor. Luckily El Mayor meant that my defensive stats were rather high to say the least and therefore I escaped relatively unscathed.

Turn 2

We tie for Initiative, re-flip and I win. McM activates in Sebastian’s Catalyst and pushes into melee with the Mature. I hit once, Focus, hit, cheat the Red Joker and kill the Mature healing up from the damage done by Poison and Black Blood in the process. That was brutal.

For McM’s (0) I push the Chihuahua and then chain activate it. I somehow forgot the woods template and the poor doggie is too slow to properly reach Lilith since Barbaros is blocking the way. So I only stink up Barbaros and tie him into melee with the mighty Ml2!

Barbaros decided to have none of that, nimbling away laughing at the doggie’s feeble attempt to stop him and charges into McM while letting out a Challenge. El Mayor kept McM still rather safe though he was hit once and thrown back a bit.

Judge hauled Francisco along and advanced on top of the leftmost Squat marker. Lilith Tangled herself next to Barbaros, moved the forests to hamper Francisco, squatted the center marker and tried some witchery on the Judge but the stalwart defender of all that is right was unswayed.

A Tot Sprinted next to Judge and the two others Squatted two Markers. The Young advanced and the Cherub shot at the doggie hitting for weak damage, giving him Slow and pushing him out of position.

Francisco maneuvered around the forest and Squatted a Squat. The Nurse on the left moved up. The other Nurse and Witchling Stalker moved up centrally to be ready to support McM. Sebastian sauntered over to give Barbaros some Induction action.

End of turn McM pushed into Melee with a Tot on the right. Barbaros takes the Induction damage opting not to prevent splashing some Black Blood on Sebastian.

I’m finding that my maneuverability leaves a bit to be desired. My original plan was to Squat with McM but since the Mature was there and I had the Red Joker in hand, I just couldn’t resist. The end results however was that I had only one Squat while my opponent had three. I also didn’t manage to give out a Cursed Object.

1-0 for Lilith!

Turn 3

We tie for Initiative, re-flip and I win. The Nurse on the left activates, moves a bit and spies Lilith through a crack between scenery, Francisco and the Illusionary Forest, throws away a Crows, tells Lilith to take her Meds and promptly flips a 13 of Crows. Paralyzed.

Barbaros looks in dismay at her Mistress’ relapse into her bad drug habit. Taking the three damage from Poison, he lets out a challenge and hits Sebastian for one Damage. And then hits Sebastian again for similar effect but also pushing him.

The Judge Stones for a Ram and cheats high to hit the Tot and kill it in one shot. Then he Squats.

Young Nephilim charges McM and flips a Red Joker for damage. Badge of Office saves the Doctor but Young does some more damage on his second swing. McM Focuses and misses the Tot he is engaged with. Then I do something idiotic and try to hit the Tot again - why didn’t I give out a Cursed Object?? In any case, I miss again. I Push the Stalker towards the Action while keeping him out of Barbaros’ LOS.

The Cherub kills the doggie with a lucky shot and flitters over to the Young and Tot vs McM fray. Witchling Stalker charges into the Young but misses both his attacks.

The Tot in the McM fight gives McM a Cursed Object and hits him a bit. The central Nurse looks at her Master and decides that healing ten points of Damage is worth the Paralyze, especially with the Stalker around.

The other Tot moves into the center next to Lilith and Barbaros and gives Sebastian a Cursed Object. Sebastian moves and gives Barbaros a Cursed Object. Lilith comes out of her stupor. Francisco moves to engage all three Nephilim in the center and tries to give Lilith a Cursed Object but fails due to the Challenge.

We both score for Cursed Object (Sebastian’s and Barbaros’ respectively) and for the Strategy.

Turn 4

We tie for Initiative, re-flip and I win. Third time in a row! I have a twelve of Crows and a Red Joker in hand - we know what that means, right? Yup, the left Nurse does some Take Your Meds and Barbaros decides to join her Mistress in abusing drugs and both end up Paralyzed.

Francisco chain Activates and Flurries at the Tot in the center. I had the Twelve of Rams in hand so was confident that I can kill the little guy. I missed with my first two swings (the first with a Black Joker) and on the third had to cheat in the Twelve but did kill the Tot.

Young decides to show what the Nephilim are made of. He gives the Stalker a Cursed Object and then hits McM getting the trigger for another Attack. Red Joker on the Damage again. I use my last Soulstone for prevention and prevent two still getting five damage. Ouch! He hits again netting Moderate at negative flips and getting the Trigger for the Push. The Tot Pounces hitting as well and getting Moderate. And finally, Young hits again and kills the Doctor.

That one Young caused close to 20 Wounds in one activation. I did have the Nurse in position with a seven of Crows in hand to heal McM but it was not to be. Sheesh! “My name is Young Nephilim. You killed my mature uncle. Prepare to die!”

Here’s a pic courtesy of my opponent. McM used to be between the Tot, Cherub and the Young. And the blasts are Illusionary Forest Markers. Oh, and since it's from my opponent's POV, the left and right are reversed compared to the text.

2ic9rb8.jpg

Stalker tries to avenge but fails miserably. The Tot goes to work on ALitS dropping a Marker onto the center line and Sprinting into position for another Marker next turn. The Judge ponders on the meaning of life and sits tight.

Cherub moves into the center and the final Nurse Focuses and throws away Crows Paralyzing the Young. Sebastian hands out a Cursed Object to Barbaros and moves to engage the Cherub, Lilith and Barbaros.

I reveal Bodyguard, we both score for Cursed Object as well as the Strategy. All tied up at this point.

Turn 5

My opponent finally wins the Initiative. Lilith activates, does various shenanigans including a Cursed Object onto Francisco, setting up the forest and Luring him into it, giving Slow, Pouncing, me getting Black Joker in defense and her getting double positives in the damage flip netting a, you guessed it, the Black Joker. Wicked Vines is her final deed.

That was certainly all sorts of stuff happening but not amounting to all that much in the end.

The central Nurse activates, moves, throws away a Crows and paralyzes Barbaros.

The Cherub tries to disengage from Sebastian but doesn’t get away. Stalker tries to kill the Young but fails again and again. Francisco gives out a Cursed Object to Lilith. Sebastian tries to kill the Cherub but fails. The Tot does Scheme Marker for Line in the Sand and moves towards the center. The left Nurse moves and Paralyzes Lilith. The Judge keeps on contemplating.

We flip for an extra turn and get a ten but unfortunately its late and the venue is closing so we call the game. I win 9-8. Had we played next turn, it’s quite likely that the game would’ve ended 10-10 depending a bit on my Paralyzing luck.

I actually feel that my opponent played a stronger game than me but the Paralyzes won me the game. They did drain my hand but I always got a Crows to throw away and a high card to make the Paralyze work. I also got the Red Joker in hand twice.

Now, McM dying was certainly bad luck the other way so it wasn’t all sunshine and puppies. Those Youngs hit hard! Especially when they get Red Joker for damage twice.

I prioritized killing the Tots (though McM failed in his attacks) and keeping Lilith and Barbaros Paralyzed in order to use them for Cursed Objects. I was deeply worried about my opponent having Assassinate and thought that killing the Mature would put a spanner in those plans.

The Judge didn’t do much and Sebastian mostly kept Barbaros occupied. Witchling Stalker had abysmal luck and didn’t do anything. The Nurses however did way more than their share.

A good game and my opponent has really learned a lot of the game.

He has had some great wins lately and has really upped his game. Even though he has played a total of one match outside of the league but he’s a veteran of other skirmish games and a great tactician.

Haha, thanks! Probably trying to make a Nephilim player blush, but I would hardly call myself a veteran with only 1 year of miniature gaming experience :P In any case, I'm starting to get hold of Malifaux too lately... (I started my career with a game called Eden)

My regards also for the latest game report - even though lotsa things happening, you managed to make it fairly concise :P Few comments (in retrospective) on factors having biggest effect on my last game with Math Mahonwy. AKA the lessons learned from my side of things (the one you see in the pic ;):

• Read through the Scheme descriptions better. The reason why I didn't start dropping earlier those scheme markers  was that I read it so that when announced, only 2 scheme markers are enough for 2 victory points :P Well, a classic rookie mistake.
  • Over 10 pts models like Mature Nephilim are just too expensive to waste for threatening the opponent for fun. I guess I also got greedy with claiming three Squatter markers. Two would have been enough and I could have used Mature for something more sinister and intellectual.
  • It was actually unnecessary to bring Lilith from behind the mural (we agreed it's 2" high) to the center. I would have been able to do all the shenanigans with Lilith behind it too - never bringing L under enemy LoS.
  • Terror tots die easily - I should have actually activated them in different order to drop markers (duh, I though it was unnecessary as stated in bullet point one) and give some extra cursed objectives.
  • Threat control... I should have concentrated taking out the nurses first. They screwed my last game, so I should have remembered.

In any case, a miniature game I hated at first sight has turned out to be pretty fun after all. Maybe I'll buy some new models next year. I currently have only the Lilith box and Nephilim box (which I think are great and overall cheap purchase option for anyone who wants to start to learn Malifaux with Nephilim).

Great to hear that Malifaux is growing on you VD. :)

What I have heard and seen from your play, this game suits you and once you stop making the classic rookie mistakes (which we all do, heck, we still make a lot of mistakes) I believe everyone is going to crap their pants when you hit the tables with your Lilith. :)

Endure the learning curve and goddamn we have someone to counter Myyrä. ;)

Thanks for the great report again.  Do you make notes as you are going along?  My friends and I tend to drop mini batreps in a FB group we have set up for ourselves but nothing as in depth.  I find the running of two Nurses really interesting as generally I only even run one (I run McMourning as Ressers so a Belle always seem more tempting that a second Nurse) but my group are starting to realise how horrible they can be (we had a mini-tournament recently and she gave out only Ml a couple of times too to shut down Jakob Lynch and a Rail Golem!) so they're likely to get targeted meaning I'll need to start doubling up soon!  I'm also thinking that Guild McMourning may get a run soon as I've recently got hold of Dead Justice.

Some responses to this:

• Read through the Scheme descriptions better. The reason why I didn't start dropping earlier those scheme markers  was that I read it so that when announced, only 2 scheme markers are enough for 2 victory points :P Well, a classic rookie mistake.
  • Over 10 pts models like Mature Nephilim are just too expensive to waste for threatening the opponent for fun. I guess I also got greedy with claiming three Squatter markers. Two would have been enough and I could have used Mature for something more sinister and intellectual.
  • Threat control... I should have concentrated taking out the nurses first. They screwed my last game, so I should have remembered.

Reading the schemes is important as I regularly still get confused on some of them (Vendetta in particular - make sure your first attack is against the opposite model!!_).

Big killy models can be good in strats like Squatters as people generally give them wide berth so just the threat of them is enough to make people leave them alone at which point you go off scheming (McMourning is horrible and can kill most things pretty easily too)

Nurses are horrible!

First of all, and most importantly, thank you so much for the kind words, everyone! Much appreciated.

Haha, thanks! Probably trying to make a Nephilim player blush, but I would hardly call myself a veteran with only 1 year of miniature gaming experience :P In any case, I'm starting to get hold of Malifaux too lately... (I started my career with a game called Eden)

Wait, that was your first? I was, for some reason, under the impression that you had played GW games during your youth. Damn, you're a quick learner to say the least, then!

It was actually unnecessary to bring Lilith from behind the mural (we agreed it's 2" high) to the center. I would have been able to do all the shenanigans with Lilith behind it too - never bringing L under enemy LoS.

This would've been completely horrible!

Threat control... I should have concentrated taking out the nurses first. They screwed my last game, so I should have remembered.

In the pre-game discussion with ZFiend I noted that Nurses are the only model that you can only underestimate or overestimate. There's no appropriate response to them, I don't think.

What I have heard and seen from your play, this game suits you and once you stop making the classic rookie mistakes (which we all do, heck, we still make a lot of mistakes) I believe everyone is going to crap their pants when you hit the tables with your Lilith. :)

I omitted it from the battle report but I actually played Cursed Object wrong, not in one way, but in two ways! I corrected it to the report, though, so I wouldn't look like a complete tosser (and that's how it would've worked if I had played it correctly).

Do you make notes as you are going along?

Nope. I'm really surprised myself how well I (think I) remember how it went down!

I find the running of two Nurses really interesting as generally I only even run one (I run McMourning as Ressers so a Belle always seem more tempting that a second Nurse) but my group are starting to realise how horrible they can be (we had a mini-tournament recently and she gave out only Ml a couple of times too to shut down Jakob Lynch and a Rail Golem!) so they're likely to get targeted meaning I'll need to start doubling up soon!  I'm also thinking that Guild McMourning may get a run soon as I've recently got hold of Dead Justice.

Nurses are simply amazing. With Ressers I, too, tend to go with just one but, for some reason, two has served me really well during this league as the Guild.

They are also surprisingly durable since they don't want to be close to the enemy, their Df and Wd are ok and their Df Trigger rocks. They also seem the be the only models in my crew who never do Scheme/Strat stuff since they are so busy being awesome.

• Like 1