The Amazing Adventures of Slow Growing Guild McMourning in Helsinki

Math Mathonwy

Well I am sorry to ruin that for you, but no, 12 of crows won't paralyze a Misaki who has the red joker. I am too well acquainted with the filthery of Nurses to be blindsided by them :D then again in my paranoia I held on the red joker all game until I slapped it away on the 5th turn.

• Like 2

Well I am sorry to ruin that for you, but no, 12 of crows won't paralyze a Misaki who has the red joker. I am too well acquainted with the filthery of Nurses to be blindsided by them :D then again in my paranoia I held on the red joker all game until I slapped it away on the 5th turn.

Ah, I actually thought you got the Red Joker to your hand on the following turn. But still, you would've needed to use the damn joker which would've saved my McM since the Torakage would've died earlier. Would'veshould'vecould've :P :P :P (since you would've gotten some other card instead and so on and so forth)
  • Like 1

Mate does the same with Pandora.  As soon as (if) RJ is in his hand he just holds it until he knows he needs it for her defence.  Bloody Df/Wp 7 means there's nothing you can do about it.  Good to hear both sides of the story though as interesting to hear how opponents viewed the game, what they would have done differently etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Even though the next game is still somewhat ways off, it has already been decided that I will face NorjanPaavi (the Pope of Norway for people who don't speak Finnish). This somewhat enigmatic character has been my most regular Malifaux opponent but actually it has been quite a while since our last match.

The bad news: he plays Misaki. An Outcast version, using only metal models, so he was allowed to use the current Vickies starter line-up substituting the Viks for Misaki and the Student for Malifaux Child. He has since bolstered his model pool with Bishop and will be getting something else still.

Meanwhile my model pool will be the following: McMourning, Zombie Chihuahua, Sebastian, Lawyer, 2x Nurse, Francisco Ortega, 3x Witchling Stalker. 40SS is the size of the next game.

The worse news:

Deployment:

Corner

Strategy:

Reconnoiter

Schemes:

A line in the sand

Assassinate

Distract

Vendetta

Entourage

Assassinate.

Against Misaki.

I got to admit, at first, I despaired. However, I have come up with a cunning plan. A plan that's so cunning, that you could put a tail on it and call it a fox.

With That's the Stuff and a Nurse pumping McMourning full of Poison and Uppers, I can make McMourning move a healthy 31" in a turn plus a possible additional 6" from Scalpel Slinging. If my calculations are correct, this should be enough to propel the good doctor to a neighbouring table where he can hide amongst Space Marines or something. His 14 wounds should keep him relatively safe even in the grim 41st millennium battlefield.

Wish me luck!

• Like 4

Hahahahahahahaha, I can see it! "um, what's this doing within my marine command squad?" "oi shut up snotnose he's hiding, you want some of this?" Math stands up to his full 2 meter breaking height with the Shirt comes off attitude. Horror duels failed all around.

• Like 2

So you are looking for sprint competition with Misaki? Do you remember Stalking Bisento? I have to quote following band song: The Police - Every Breath you take: - "Every move you take I'll be watching you"

This is the game I have been waiting. I have bad history with doctor so there will be extra thrill. One ofte worst thing is that Assassinate is only option on this game. ;)

• Like 3

With That's the Stuff and a Nurse pumping McMourning full of Poison and Uppers, I can make McMourning move a healthy 31" in a turn plus a possible additional 6" from Scalpel Slinging. If my calculations are correct, this should be enough to propel the good doctor to a neighbouring table where he can hide amongst Space Marines or something. His 14 wounds should keep him relatively safe even in the grim 41st millennium battlefield.

Wish me luck!

Muahahaha, hilarious!

Okay, that sounds like a really great game: Two opponents who are deathly afraid of each other, dancing around and trying to kill the other Master. Man, I wish Finland was a little less far.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Today is the day.

McMourning has adorned his base with two skulls in order to blend in better once the time comes. I'm kicking myself for not putting some shoulder pads on him.

But thank you so much for the feedback on the plan!

I have to make do without Scalpel Slinging! As for the stalking, I have a cunning plan. Norjanpaavi, avert your eyes, please. I made some tests with spare coins and it seems that six 30mm bases should be enough to completely block off all visibility lines to the doctor. So I will surround him with his Ht2 Minions! Ingenious!

Wish me luck!

Of course, the blast Damage can only hurt models that can see the original target, so if you build your wall of height 2 minions 2 deep, then your defence works.

I think you need 18 modesl in the outer ring. So, 10 dogs digging frantically should get yuo the wall about turn 3. Remembert they are too small, so you'll have to kill them all and turn them into Zombies as well.

edit. Oops just remembered you're guild.

• Like 1

Of course, the blast Damage can only hurt models that can see the original target, so if you build your wall of height 2 minions 2 deep, then your defence works.

I think you need 18 modesl in the outer ring. So, 10 dogs digging frantically should get yuo the wall about turn 3. Remembert they are too small, so you'll have to kill them all and turn them into Zombies as well.

Are you implying that McMourning has something to do with Zombies other than killing them? He is an honoured member of the Guild in good standing, sir! Just ask his Lawyer if you don't believe me. All talk of resurrecting and such is outright slander, I tell you!
  • Like 3

Are you implying that McMourning has something to do with Zombies other than killing them? He is an honoured member of the Guild in good standing, sir! Just ask his Lawyer if you don't believe me. All talk of resurrecting and such is outright slander, I tell you!

Made my day. :D :D :D

Always with the Lawyer. :D

• Like 2

Misaki entered the dimly lit room. At the far end a shadowy figure with eyes of flickering green flames intoned:

"Welcome, Misaki. You can call me Mr. Z. I have an assignment for you."

"And what might it be? And you had better be paying really well," the assassin extraordinaire said.

"You need to kill none other than the good Doctor Douglas McMourning."

"McMourning? But I killed him already?"

"He got better."

I had McM with the usual load-out, Francisco with Wade In, Sebastian, Chihuahua, two Nurses and a Witchling Stalker. Cache of six.

I was up against Misaki with Stalking Bisento, Survivalist, and Oathkeeper, Bishop with Oathkeeper, Freikorps Librarian with (you guessed it) Oathkeeper, and three Ronin. The Ronin didn't have Oathkeeper. Cache of two.

Reconnoiter with the most horrible scheme pool ever. Personally, I blame ZFiend (since he let Molja flip for the Schemes). ALITS, Assassinate, Distract, Entourage, and Vendetta.

I could, in theory, take Vendetta for Francisco against Bishop but that really doesn't seem like a good idea. Entourage when I was sure my opponent was going to go for Assassinate seemed like too much all eggs in one basket. ALITS wasn't the best for my models, really. So I went with Assassinate and Distract. Hoping that Misaki gets too confident and that my Paralyzes can lead to Distracts against Bishop and a random Ronin.

My opponent went with an unannounced Entourage instead of Assassinate (a complete surprise) and, unfortunately, he read Vendetta wrong and took for Bishop against the Witchling Stalker :(

---

First turn was super intensive when I flipped a Red Joker for initiative and we both advanced. The Ronins spread out with Librarian, Misaki and one Ronin coming at me from the north and Bishop from the east. Misaki Stalked Sebastian but the Witchling Stalker dispelled it.

I clumped up with white-haired Nurse going around some woods and the rest of my models forming a tight cluster with Chihuahua and Witchling trailing a bit. McMourning felt brave and got El Mayor and took a Defensive Stance.

Second turn things started happening. Misaki Stalked the white-haired Nurse on the other side of the woods and charged her. She survived and pushed into the woods but Misaki didn't want to follow as then McM, Francisco and Sebastian could've charged her. I moved up with the Stalker and shot at Misaki with a total of five against 20. Yeah.

Bishop discarded Oathkeeper and moved fast as a hurricane, charged the Stalker and ended him with two blows. Unfortunately Norjanpaavi now read Vendetta again and realized his error. I offered him to move the Vendetta from whomever to whomever but he said that he made a mistake and should pay for it.

Chihuahua charged Misaki and didn't accomplish anything but stinked her up with two Poison. The Ronins moved about and Sebastian got Misaki into his aura. Librarian moved and had some choice words for Francisco who took two damage. I noticed that my opponent's hand wasn't probably very good at this point, so I activated the white-haired Nurse.

She told Bishop to take some meds and paralyzed him with a cheated 11 of Crows. Then she told Misaki to take her meds as well and paralyzed her with a cheated 9 of Crows. MVP of the match for that gal right there!

McM poisoned and pushed Francisco through the woods and into melee with Misaki and ran forward to the Librarian. The good doctor found himself appreciating the leather-clad form of the Librarian and a surprising "How you doing?" got her Distracted there and then.

The purple-haired Nurse followed suit and asked Bishop what a guy like him was doing at a place like this getting him Distracted as well. Francisco took Poison damage and then Flurried at Misaki but she defended successfully twice and stoned away the damage from the one hit. At the end of the she got hit with Poison and stoned that away and many models burned a bit courtesy of the Stalker and Francisco took Poison damage. Misaki stoned her poison damage away.

He got one from Reconnoiter while I got one from Distract.

Third turn began with frustrated doctor meleeing the Librarian to death and slinging a scalpel at the Ronin. Two Ronins committed Seppuku to give Misaki some stones to stave off the poison. Francisco flurried hitting once with a massive seven for damage but Misaki stoned away three and once for three, which Misaki stoned away. Chihuahua ran off to poison Bishop who also got paralyzed by a Nurse again.

Sebastian charged Misaki and hit her but she stoned away the three damage. She activated, suffered from Poison and removed Paralysis. The white-haired Nurse charged Misaki and got her poisoned.

I stupidly failed completely in my positioning and missed a point from the Strategy while Norjanpaavi really had too few models left. Misaki suffered from Poison.

Fourth turn I realized that Misaki was dead when she activated. I won initiative and McM killed the final Ronin to doom Misaki. But I had forgotten that Misaki had Hard to Kill from Survivalist! She activates and dies because Norjanpaavi had also forgotten this. He remembered it at the end of the turn :(

Bishop removed paralysis and Sebastian charged him doing some damage. Bishop got paralyzed by a Nurse. Francisco walked over to observe Bishop writhing in Poisoned agony in Paralysis while still being distracted.

I got one for Reconnoited and two for Assassinate.

Fifth turn I win initiative and force Bishop to go first and he dies to Poison. I score for Reconnoiter.

OK, that went really differently from what I expected. Misaki took an insane amount of beating (helped by all her prevention flips being severe) but the double paralysis on the second turn really was what sealed the game. Charging Misaki in like that was reckless but OTOH that was partly because of misread Vendetta so it wasn't quite as crazy at it might've seemed.

We really need to take a rematch some time without the Vendetta blunder as that kinda messed up the game. I also got a lot better hands the whole game which played a big part. The minimal cache meant that Norjanpaavi couldn't get extra cards but he was hampered by his limited model pool in Reconnoiter.

• Like 4