Derived Aspects Question

MunkyMuddFace

I would hazard the guess that your Derived Aspect Defense value would be 2 since your Evade skill is 0 and is higher than your Speed aspect which is -1.

An argument can be made the other way though with the information presented on Page 192 of the Fated Almanac under Step 2" generate acting value, which says;

If a character does not have the appropriate skill, then they may only use the Aspect value.

That would make a character with a Speed Aspect of -3 and no evade skill a -1 on Defense though which is more than a bit harsh.

I would err on the side of player fun in this case and give them the higher defense.

• Like 1

I couldn't find anything that said derived stats couldn't be negative when I went looking. Aside from being characterful though it would make those enforcer and below ranked NPC combat encounters a bit more challenging (provided the characters dont just always choose Evade as one of their starting skills).

Treat the higher as the 0 (i.e. no skill). It's the better way to go.

I definitely agree it is the better way to go Aaron however it doesn't resolve well with the section about generating the Acting Value on page 192. If a faq were to be released for TtB though this might be a very good thing to include.

I definitely agree it is the better way to go Aaron however it doesn't resolve well with the section about generating the Acting Value on page 192. If a faq were to be released for TtB though this might be a very good thing to include.

That is referring just to AV for challenges, I'd argue it doesn't apply to derived Aspects. That said, it's definitely unclear. We may do an FAQ at some point.