"Real world" fluff

GorFrag

Well, there's the overview that after it closed there were the black powder wars, and the guild rose to power by controlling soulstones.

I personally wouldn't expect anything particularly close to the real world, it's sufficiently different that the civil war as a north v south thing probably didn't happen. A lot of other violence will have though...

I think its safe to assume that many of the events that happened in the late 19th century / early 20th century provide a strong historical basis for what's going on Earthside in the Malifaux Universe. While I can't speak for the American Civil War, many of the events in Asia and their consequences East-West relations have shaped the story arc. There are references to the Guild acting as a colonial force throughout Crossroads - they possess the equivalent of the British Empire territory and remain a dominant force. The Black Powder Wars, through which the Guild emerged victorious to conquer most of the known world, will probably be tied to real world events at some point. This is pure speculation though.